• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How close is to close?

stumper

When your out fishing ,how close is "to close" In your opinion ,to set up next to someone? I generally stay a good 50 yds away unless its somone I know or am invited to be closer. I have had guys use my Permy as a back rest before.Heck, I had to step over one guys hole to get into my permy one day,lol. I dont mind the company,but that one was kinda rediculous,lol.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say a mimimum of 20+ feet under most conditions.

I was out last year on a medium sized lake and was the only one on the lake, after about an hour somebody else came out, set their stuff about 5 feet away and started fishing some of the holes I had just drilled for scouting, it wasn't woth saying anything but was still irritating.

If someone where trying to use my perm shack as a back rest I would probably let them know how I felt about it.

I like my space. I usually have to move my perm every third day due to people crowding me. Last year on mille lacs I woke up to two guys drilling holes all around my perm. They must have drilled a hundred holes. When I finally went out to say something my door hit the side of one of their portables. I could see this out on a mud flat, but I was in a bay and could not even see the nearest fisherman or house when I set up. I packed up and left and bareley was able to get hooked up to my house their stuff was so close.

usually a good fisherman's distance, but with the economy the way it is I might be closer to people this year...conserve on heater use and propane and also why waste gas through my auger when I can put my line down their holes they already drilled.....lol grin

Originally Posted By: ec30_06
When I finally went out to say something my door hit the side of one of their portables.

That is just ridiculious!!?? confused

We put a perm on WBL, and one day I drove out (it was nowhere near any of the shack-cities either!) and no kidding I have to "ask" a dude and his girlfriend if I could move their auger and chit so I could get into my shack! They put it right smack in front of the door! ha! I was very, overly polite it all, but they could tell I was just laughing, hehe...

For some reason I don't get worked up on the ice like I would if someone got so darned close in open water. Ice fishing is more social for me, for some reason...

I hate going close to others already there, as I feel it would reduce the "pride" I like to think I have in finding my own fish, ice or open. Maybe that is why I get skunked so often wink

It depends...

There is a good early ice walleye drop off that another angler and I know about. We ran into each other last year for the first time, talked a little and discovered we have both been early ice fishing this location for years. So we set up 20 feet apart and caught some eyes together.

But most of the time I like my solitude, bottle of brandy and hot pot of tea. So I seek out some of the less fished locations. But I'm willing to have some company if a fellow is roaming the lake.

The only time I was upset is when a party van full of drunk college students setup next to me on Bald Eagle lake. Not that I minded the girls running around in underwear.....

When I finally went out to say something my door hit the side of one of their portables.

I would've opened the door, opened my fly, and pi$$ed all over the portable. Wouldn't have made any friends, I'm sure, but it would get the point across IMO.

Idiots.

I generaly don't set-up closer than 50 ft. to someone.

Last year my son and I stayed overnight in the perm, (I had parked my wheeler on the back side of the shack) and woke

up to an auger at 6:30 A.M. wich is fine but when my son who

was 9 at the time walked out of the shack and almost steped in

a freshly cut hole with a tip-up in it NO MORE THAN A FOOT

away from the door. He quickly folded the tip-up and stuffed

it down the hole, needless to say the guy wasn't very happy

then after he left my son grabs the camara and fishes the tip-up out of the water and now one tip-up richer.

Hey Chad; smart kid.

If I am going to a spot I have fished before, I usually go right to where I want to go, but make a quick round to ask others in the area if it's OK to fish there if there is a question of proximity. Otherwise I try to leave the crowds alone if possible. My wife's uncle starts singing "Oh My Darling Clementine" quite poorly when people move in too close to him. I may take up that habit for myself.

Not only when an individual,and/or the others set up too close to what I consider your own personal fishing space for that day is irritating.. But also the ones driving out to a spot and they drive so close that the water is going up and down in the holes! all the way up to the eyelets in your boots!! I will walk up to a group or a couple individuals after parking away.. Unless I am with my dad brothers or friends I respect others personal fishing space and spots for that day.. During late ice,when you are hole hopping with one fishing pole, it may be slightly differant.. good luck guy's.. and have fun..

I can live with people setting up somewhat close, as long as they are not out drilling holes at peak fishing time (1+ hours either side of sundown).

What is most frustrating for me is the snomobilers that feel the need to buzz w/i 10-20 ft by your shack or you on the open ice going full open trottle.