Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
&JAG

Best line for jigging walleye?

11 posts in this topic

Have a smattering of different lines what should a guy use and what should a guy stay away from in the winter?

Depends on how you fish. If you fish outside, I hear poeple complain about fire line freezing up. I don't usually fish outside so I like to use fireline since it is very sensitive. I usually use a 2 foot flourocarbon leader like P-line.

I like the trilene micro ice. It works pretty good inside the house and out. I hear good things about the P-line and gamma ice lines too. I didn't care for any kind of braided line ice fishing, execpt in the permanant in deep water.

When temps permit I normally use the Powerpro Ice with a 2' flourocarbon leader. If the braid starts freezing up I just fall back on trusty old green Trilene XL 6 pound test.

I have been using it for years and haven't had any issues with it.

I am using Gamma this year and so far have been very impressed with it... of course it has not been miserable cold yet either.

I have snapped a couple of rods with overzealous hook sets using mono. That being said, I could never use braid unless I had a noodle rod because of its unforgiving nature. I use 4 or 6# Vanish.

i use gamma cuz the thorne bros guys talked highly of it. ive tried alot of lines with memory problems - even with just a little on the spool. best line ive ever used for ice fishing. very low memory, doesent freeze up, sensitive enough......great stuff!

6lb vanish has worked very well for me on the ice. As long as I treat it well it holds up good and gets me more stikes than other lines

I usually use gamma or p-line, in 4-6 lb depending on water clarity and the size of the fish I expect to catch. And occasionally fireline crystal for jigging in dark water lakes like LOTW.

My personal favorites are 1/8, 2/10, or 4/15 Power Pro Ice, and Gama ESP Polar Ice line in 6, 8, 10.

Last year I did very well on trilene micro ice and trilene cold weather 6lbs.