• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Any Muzzleloader Luck?

dstndnls

Just wondering if anyone is seeing much out there while Muzzleloader hunting. I have been out twice now and have only seen one doe. She was in too thick of cover to take a clean shot. Looking to skip out of the office early tomorrow and then get another couple of hunts in this weekend. No need to tell me where your hunting, I just want to hear how others are doing.

Me & my cousin went out today, i jumped one this morning & he saw two does. Tonight we both saw a group of 9 does (out of range for him & I didn't have a clean shot), he also missed a 6 pointer. I had a fawn 15 yards away, but didn't know what he shot or shot at, so I let go. We only had one management tag & one buck tag. They seemed to be moving today

I am new to this forum so I'm late with a reply but I was lucky enough to shoot a nice 11 pointer on December 12th with my muzzleloader near Fertile, MN. As far as seeing deer I was out twice before they took a corn field off that was about a 1/2 mile from my stand and I did not see a deer and after they took the corn off I was out 4 nights in a row and seen a total of 15 deer in those 4 nights and the 4th night is when I shot the 11 point and he was trailing a doe.

an out of state tag lic. and habitat stamp for IA. is 313.50 went out today with my son shot his first deer with his omega muzzleloader he just bought it was a 200 yard shot right in the vitals one great shot

This season is ending up to be an excellent one for our group in Iowa. Out of 9 people we have 7 tags filled. I shot a nice big doe at about 100 yards yesterday. We saw alot of deer everyday and there are still alot out there for next year... Usually I have gone to northeast Iowa but this year I stayed close to home and am glad that I did.

Hey, what is Iowa like ? Meaning land owners. Is the land divided meaning lots of 20,40,80 acre parcels or is it primarily owned in bigger tracts ? I know Iowa has 2.2 million less people to contend with than MN, just doing some research. How do Iowa's deer survive winter meaning is there farms from N to S to E to W ? What happens during a tough heavy snow winter ? Thanks. MB

Iowa is mostly farm land in our area land is in 80 160 and 320acre blocks some are smaller some are larger most land owners will let you hunt some don't in our area it is quite flat the deer survive real well in river bottoms and farm groves most of the deer eat corn left in the fields that fell off when harvesting there are some public areas scattered around the area where deer and other wild life live eastern iowa is a lot more hilly with a lot more trees during bad weather they head for the cover of farms and areas with cover