• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

sharpening your own auger blades?

PmDavis300

Strikemaster has a pretty good deal with blade exchange. Give them a ring and they'll hook you up.

This is what I would do as well. I keep a spare set and when I need to change blades I exchange the extra set so I always have a set that are sharp and ready to go.

It is very tough to do and get it right. My success is about one in ten. Go with the blade exchange if you have one in your area its much less of a headake.If you have a chipper style blade like on a jiffy I do those all the time with no problem but shavers forget it!

Not that Strikemaster doesn't provide awesome customer service, but I picked up a new set cheaper at Thorne Brothers this weekend for less than it would cost to exchange a set (once you include shipping costs.) You might want to see if you can score a deal on them at the ice show if you're going. Next time I'm around Big Lake I'm intending on dropping by to exchange a set.

If you are going to sharpen your own blades, you are going to need some sort of a jig to hold the blade at the proper angle the whole length of the blade. If you try to do it strictly by hand it is almost impossible to hold it that steady and you will wind up with all sorts of variances in the angle and mess up the blades. The wrong angle and the blades become darn near useless.

Each blade needs the same exact amount of strokes too, uneven sharpening from side to side will cause it to jump around. You can shave with them, but only make ice cream or snow cones with the auger..not a hole...very frustrating.

I have never seen them sharpened well outside a pro shop with the proper jigs to do it up correctly...never. I gave up even trying..total waist of time.

My advise...Save your sanity for the ice...Send them in as an exchange/resharpen to StrikeMaster, get a new set now slap them on.. go cut ice, keep the retooled ones for spares.

I think they have somebody that works there that does it, not sure. The blades are (or at least were) above the minnow tanks. You might want to call ahead. Last year they had all the common models and sizes.

I wanna say I got charged about five or six bucks with the trade in. Razor sharp. I think they sell resharpened blades without the trade for about double that. Again, not sure.