Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hoggs222

Long underwear/base layer that won't break the bank?

24 posts in this topic

I'm wondering what you guys use for a base layer that won't break the bank.

I'm looking at buying a arctic armor suit at the show and don't want to go too overboard with the base layer.

I've got a cabelas gift card so that would be preferable.

Go for something like and Under Armour knock off. I bought some compression shirts the work well.Less than half the price,also.

I like/wear Indera but I don't think cabelas carry's it

Polar Teck or what I believe is better is the Under Armor. The Under Armor is fantastic at wicking away any moisture from your body. Great stuff.

Polar Teck or what I believe is better is the Under Armor. The Under Armor is fantastic at wicking away any moisture from your body. Great stuff.

great stuff maybe, but it does break the bank... Ive spent so much cash on my outer layer that i settle for a modestly priced (~$25) set of polypropalene longjohns.

Bought some from fleet farm for $21 worked great wicked away the moister and only worked in the base layer and a sweater and fleas lined pants outside today. Of course it was a very physical day to keep me warm but I was dry. More than half of under armoour great buy!

polypropiline fancy name for polyester I beleive. Maybe not, wouldnt be surprised though.

I bought a set of "long-johns" called Wickers. I don't recall what I paid, but anything that keeps you dry in the winter time is worth the price IMO.

Thats what I got at fleet farm, there greeeeeeat. $21 was for the tops, I think the bottom were about the same. You had achoie between light, medium or heavy. I got the medium and heavy and I wore the medium today.

I have a few T shirts from wally world that work almost as good as the under armor I have. I wear them all year round. Can't say if they're in stock this time of year or not. Something around $4-$7 apiece. They had bottoms too but I didn't get them.

Over that I wear a polartec grid top from the Cabelas bargain cave. Then I wear my Browning quad parka and that's it for the top.

For extreme cold I wear army issue winter BDU's with quilted liners, and fleece wader liners.

--Matt

polar tec military weight in the heavy weight because I like to be very warm. If you do get wet for some reason or other they tend to dry fairly quick and still keep you fairly warm. Still not the cheepest but half the price of some.

I've been using Reebok's version of "Under Armour" compression shirts. I just purchased another one @ D!ck's for $17. During Deer season this year I wore Reebok's Compression Gear shirt (very similar to UA Heat gear) under a heavier fleece pullover along with a River's West outer shell. Plenty warm, and moisture was transported to my outer shell. Reebok also has a Cold Compression version available for around $20 less than UA Cold Gear.

I agree with icehead, polar tec is good stuff. I think I got mine at Cabelas for pretty cheap. Check out sierra trading post .com

great deals on a lot of clothing

I've been using standard cotton long underwear with a heavy Gander Mountain fleece long underwear over the top, jeans, heavy wool shirt and a dickies shell for deer season. It's been working very good.

Wally world has some rocky base layers I just got the bottoms and like them so far. They were cheap

I wear Gander Silk Weight shirt (UA knock off, that you can get at the Gander outlet for about $10) under any other shirt, then my AA jacket. For pants under AA I will just wear my thin (like pajama) wader pants and I am good. It feels like I have nothing on, everything is so thin. I have worn poly long johns under as well, but you really don't need the warmth, just the wicking if you move a lot, as it can get hot in there smile

This year I will wear the silk weight t shirt under a Rocky wicking camo top I just got (its a quartzip top from Gander) and that should cover me whether cool, cold or freeeeeeezing smile

I've used Under Armour for about 4 years now and can't imagine how I ever survived in the cold be for that. Under Armour is the real deal. When I first purchased my U.A. base layer I literally cut my layers in half. I really can't tell you that the knock offs aren't as good because I've never tried anything else. It would be nice to hear from someone who has tried both.

But if it is like anything else on the market, "you get what you pay for".

What do the rocky's run for a set? Are they near the hunting section or the mens clothing?

What do the rocky's run for a set? Are they near the hunting section or the mens clothing?
$14-16 for the bottoms. My guess is the top is the same price.

If your going to the show, stop at the that guys booth that sells Micky mouse boots and other military stuff. The poly military long johns are inexpensive and are awesome. I love mine! If he's got the same spot as previous years, he's just about in the middle of the show area.