• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How many of you ice fish for pike?

cjac

Hey all,

It's a general question, and I'm guessing a lot of you do ice fish for pike, myself included, and are excited to catch some nice pike!

I'd like to see more activity in the Pike forum, especially now that the muskie season here in MN is closed and the ice season is here.

There are a lot of skilled anglers here with good ideas and tips and tricks to share. I personally would like to hear what you all are doing and what's working, as would others, and hear/see the results! There are lots of great ideas out there. Leader making, bait selection, equipment, tip-up rigs and placement, what lakes, etc.

The Ice Fishing forum gets so busy (check it out if you've not recently..) that a lot of pike related questions may be getting missed by anglers like us that could help out. I'd like a place that we can direct them to.

Feel free to post in the Pike Forum and lets get some good posts going!

Thanks to all, Chris

I usually fish for pike early and late winter,but sometimes throw out the occasional tip up while I'm jigging for panfish. I have done well using a hot perch buckshot rattle spoon tipped with a fathead or small shiner. I used to fish water way too deep,but lately have stayed shallower and close to the biggest bunches of green weeds I can find. I also used to make the mistake of keeping my bait down into the weeds,but now keep it a hair above,pike eyes are focused on looking up. I seem to learn a little more every time I venture out.

Mark me down as someone who ice fishes, only as a medication to deal with my withdrawls though. Mostly tip-up fish for pike but occasionally some crappies or gills for the frying pan, mmm had some last night pretty tasty!

Went out yesterday and tryed to poke em with a stick. Didnt have anything come into the decoy. Season just started, pleanty of time. I do put out tip-up as well if I dont feel like cutting a hole I could fall into.

Duck

I will typically put out a tip-up out for pike while jigging for other fish.

I just got a camera last winter and it's always fun to have them swim by on the camera. I'm going to try hit a muskie lake for walleyes with the camera down. Should be exciting.

Got my fist fish in close to twenty years spearing on Friday. She was around 34 inches and very fat. Just thinking of the smoker makes my mouth water. Need a couple more and num num.

Spearing is kinda like Muskie fishing. Hours of nuttin, then BOOM, the ol heart races for 30 seconds. Then back to nuttin. LOL

Duck