• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lazer auger question

ENMIFDAD

Question

I was wondering if anyone has ever tried or thought of trying this. I have a 10" lazer ice auger that has never worked well for me. I traded for the auger about 8 years ago and got frustrated and just stored it ever since. mad(It bounces around and won't cut a decent hole) I have replaced the sharpened the blades and even put brand new on, but still the same result. My auger doesn't have the power point on it. Here is my question. Do you think I could weld the nut on the bottom that holds the power point and just buy replacement power point blades? I work in a metal shop and putting it on wouldn't be a big deal. I can buy 2 power point replacement blades for $19.99, or as Strike Master recommended to me, buy a new lower unit for $164.00.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

13 answers to this question

After mulling on it in the garage getting the rest of my stuff ready. I decided I have nothing to lose. If you look at the Stike master HSOforum you can see what I mean if you click on the power point replacement parts. If it doesn't work, I have two new power points for the new lower unit that I have to order.

Oh yeah, I have a two blade. The tech at Strike Master told me last year that they didn't make mine for long before they put the power points on them. Hmmm.

My lazer does this too, to a lesser extent.

If it is the two blade bit, and is as old as you say, I think I know what is wrong. The angle of the blade flute has probably been tweaked.

I borrowed my auger to a friend, and he was trying to open up some old hole. Too late, I noticed him banging the bit on the ice trying to get it to catch. Ever since then, it skates around for the first inch, then it will catch.

I would guess the pitch is out too. I have one of the ones without the power point on it and I haven't had any issues. I'm careful not to push down etc. When I was in at Strikemaster last winter, they told me that they actually hold on to a bunch of the non-power point ones to use in the drilling competitions as they drill much faster.

Don't know where you live but if you took it strikemaster in Big Lake they can fix it probably while you wait.

If you take it to strikemaster they will take it in the back room and bend the blades back for you in like 2 minutes.

If the cutting head got tweeked, it may be a tough battle to get it back square, and have it stay that way. You can try to see if they can do it.

If you need to invest any more into that damaged flighting, I would just cut your loss's and replace it and upgrade it to the new style with the center point or the 2000 chipper flighting.