• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Don’t Bother....

SM1

Besides that, they're eyesores. One being ambitious at the time, hauls out all the materials to build a huge stand with walls and a roof and you name it but but soon loses interest in the location and the remains are left to rot in the forest for everyone else to take notice. Instead of paying $50 in lumber and time building, invest another $50 and get yourself a ladder stand with chain and padlock and put it up a week or two before season. It'll last longer than the homemade counterparts and it's portable as well!

Very much agree with lawdog-

And I will add-----

From my experience, a good stand location will be good for years to come. Sure some stand locations will be hot or slow, but if you build a permanent you are laying claim to a good spot all for yourself, and if a person wants to hunt that spot, either the best tree contains your stand, or they might not want to hunt near your stand, because who knows when you might come by and hunt in it...thus wrecking the spot for everyone.

Plus, would you not rather have the option to move if the deer sign is better somewhere else, or if the huntin pressure picks up near you stand? Hanging a permanent is like marking a good deer trail to your stand with orange markers on all the trees. You are just asking for comeone to check out your spot

Originally Posted By: SM1
Yea, what ever happened to sportsmanship and respect for other peoples space?

See that's the whole problem SM1, its not YOUR space in the first place. It is State Forest, ie. the PUBLIC's space. I have no sympathy for what happens to a stand built on public property, its not yours to build on or yours to control. You shouldn't be building things into the trees and dmaging them. Nothing should be allowed on state land except portables that are taken down. Climbing stands are readily available and very portable. If you need the taj-mahal perm stand, then you better have your own land to put it on...

Should we not take the fish and wild game also?

IMO, it all depends on how bad you really want to hunt. If you actually scout an area and want to hunt there, why not build a stand? Unless you want to be like all of the tennis shoe hunters who come up the day before opener and decide you are going to hunt this year for a few days. There are some of both, and the ones more dedicated deserve the spot before the weekend warrior.

Originally Posted By: SM1
Yea, what ever happened to sportsmanship and respect for other peoples space?

See that's the whole problem SM1, its not YOUR space in the first place. It is State Forest, ie. the PUBLIC's space. I have no sympathy for what happens to a stand built on public property, its not yours to build on or yours to control. You shouldn't be building things into the trees and dmaging them. Nothing should be allowed on state land except portables that are taken down. Climbing stands are readily available and very portable. If you need the taj-mahal perm stand, then you better have your own land to put it on...

First off, Public ground is HIS space along with YOURS. It is public, meaning we all have the right to use it. While I understand your concerns about building stands and the like, judging someone for doing something that is 100% lawful is a pretty strong stance to take. As long as the piece of property allows for a permanent to be built, I have no problems. Would a lot of people prefer to not see them in the woods sure, but if you want rules with no permanents, only portables that are taken, etc. then I suggest YOU get your own land.

Lawdog you missed my point from my last post entirely.

“What ever happened to sportsmanship….” I made this quote in regards to overcrowding in fishing and hunting. I never once said this was my spot, land, area etc. Actually, twice above I said its public property-stand in all. I was talking about if you find a hunter in the spot you planned to sit, then go somewhere else, give them space and don’t sit right next to them-have some respect. They beat you to the spot even if you built the stand they are sitting in.

This stand is far from a 5 star hotel: Its about a 2X3 platform with a couple 2x4’s for safety rails. The main point of this thread was to say- use the stand don’t destroy it.

Interesting Dave, I hear ya, I'll try to take the other side of the fence, isn't there a 10 or 15 foot rule when it comes to ice houses so would we make a rule on distance between stands on public ground ? We have 5.2 million people in MN, crowding is becoming, excuse me is an issue in many parts of the state, hunting or fishing. If I could lay claim to some public ground and quaranteen off some area I could sell my hunting land !

You and I have done enough arguing on these forums eek

Like I said I am actually not much for perm stands on public land. I was just making a comparison to fishing on public lakes. It just seems to me that on some smaller lakes around her that people that like to get their houses out a little sooner than I do because I like to make darn sure there is good ice under me, can almost monopolize some of the best small pieces of structure just by being there sooner than anyone else. Then they stay there all season and by law no one else can fish 10 or 15 feet around them like you already pointed out. I'm not saying anything can or should be done about this, just making a point.

Actually I would never put up a permanant stand on public land. That is just asking for someone to either be sitting in it when I get there opening morning or it at least catches peoples eye when they are scouting a woods and think to themselves that this must be a good spot because someone went through the effort of constructing a stand.

Just kind of getting back into deer hunting. Do a lot more bird hunting. The thing I don't mind about perm stands is you kind of get an idea of where people are hunting. We bought a piece of property in an area we hadn't hunted before we bought it. Scouting we get a lay of the land and how people are useing it by four wheeler trails and perm stands. Many of the parties I'm sure have been hunting in the area much longer than us and though it may be public they know it better and have every right to use the knowledge they've gained of the area working to their advantage. Just like I have the right to go out and sit in their stand if I get their first. But I look at it this way how would I feel if it was my stand with some lazy s o b in it. I wouldn't like it so I do my bird hunting and scout at the same time. A good GPS and google earth lets me work my way around them and use their movment to our advantage.

Nothing better than getting off on the right foot with other hunters in the woods. Part of the fun about the sport. But nothing worse than fighting a winnless battle over I got here first and who's land it is, it's all of ours. We have stands on public ground that are more free standing ground blinds that are only about 4' off the ground and your line of sight is about 9' off the ground. they have benches and are tarped and burlaped. If someone is in them which has never happend the only thing we ask is come by say hi and tell us how you did from the stand. Bet that is going be meet with a strange look the first time we have to use it. Who knows the guy could turn out to be a future hunting buddy. If I'm not in it I really don't care if it gets hunted out of. A lot less frustration understanding the reality of the issue than trying to change human nature.

Back to the post I can't imagine why somebody would do that unless they are from the area and got ticked off about the spot you put it in. If it is an area where perm stands aren't legal can't do much about it. Might not be ethical or good sportsmanship but they could say the same.

This is why we see new regulations. Our government trying to make every thing fair.

Hunting grounds, how many wars and battles have been fought over hunting grounds? In a civilized world we don't do that.

It used to be that if there was a stand and it wasn't yours, you hunted somewhere else. It was simple, it was unwritten in the hunters bible.

We're in a new generation now. "Well that isn't fair, its public land". It may not have been fair but it worked. If you were new to the area you scouted for deer and other hunters. You found your own little niche.

Its becoming to be a first come first serve deal. A stand that may have been shared in a hunting camp for generations is now up for grabs. You can't count on your stand being empty when you arrive in the morning. Then what do you do? Well hopefully your have a plan B and maybe a plan C too.

When we lose the respect for each others space it becomes dog eat dog. Ethics, common sense, and respect for each other can't be regulated.

As hunters and sportsmen, when we can't figure this out on our own, guess who steps in? Big Brother does with more restrictions.

Years ago on state land there were few stands mostly just platforms.Where we hunted we knew that stand was the guys from Iowa,theres another stand thats so & so s. It was accepted they built em they were theirs.As land got lesser & lesser I saw bigger & bigger stands,more & more.This is state public land thats harvested for pulp,lumber products,firewood.

Soon stands were gettin close and numerious,Loggers started complaining about SPIKED trees ruining their equipment.

The state saw a problem when loggers complained,then hunters started calling COs about their area taken over by outsiders sittin in their stands.Well the good ole days are gone! Too many think cause its public its theirs,they staked claim to that area years ago.NEW RULES instated,a new & different thinking generation,High land prices keep more & more hunters going on public land.

Only thing I can say is we need to show MORE respect to eachother,change attitiudes and accept the rules as there written! If ya build a stand on public land the next public land hunter can do with it as they please.

Just to show fairness I think the state should outlaw any stands on all public land unless there removed while UNATTENDED,Go out to warm up,lunch whatever remove it! Once you walk away from it it belongs to the public,it may not be there when you return!

One rule state wide.

i agree with you, there are those certain people who think its public so its there land and what not, i have never been a fan of perms thats why i like the laws with portables having to be taken out and with no screw in steps.

This is why we see new regulations. Our government trying to make every thing fair.

Hunting grounds, how many wars and battles have been fought over hunting grounds? In a civilized world we don't do that.

It used to be that if there was a stand and it wasn't yours, you hunted somewhere else. It was simple, it was unwritten in the hunters bible.

We're in a new generation now. "Well that isn't fair, its public land". It may not have been fair but it worked. If you were new to the area you scouted for deer and other hunters. You found your own little niche.

Its becoming to be a first come first serve deal. A stand that may have been shared in a hunting camp for generations is now up for grabs. You can't count on your stand being empty when you arrive in the morning. Then what do you do? Well hopefully your have a plan B and maybe a plan C too.

When we lose the respect for each others space it becomes dog eat dog. Ethics, common sense, and respect for each other can't be regulated.

As hunters and sportsmen, when we can't figure this out on our own, guess who steps in? Big Brother does with more restrictions.

I agree with the points you are making, except one. Lose of respect for eachothers space. I see permanent stands on public land as not being respectful of others. What gives that person the right to build a stand on a good area, and the rest of us just have to avoid that section of woods? I for one always avoid hunting near anyones permanent or portable stands, but it can be frustrating when you are out to a new section of woods in september or october, and you run across a permanent stand. I always ask myself who built it, how old it is, do they bow hunt, I wonder if they even hunt this spot anymore, etc.

I also have this same opinion on portable stands that are left on public property in the woods. Someone might put out 3-4 stands in august for late october, and then he rest of us are out of luck.

Does not seem right

Surface tension you stated how many wars are fought over hunting ground, well take the word hunting out and that's what many of the wars have been fought over. Look at Israel and the Gaza strip, the Muslims will never forgive us for saying that land is Israel's and that's the way it is. Now we battle terrorism. Ground. We don't have enough of it, too much ocean. Same issues revolve around hunting ground, not enough of it or it costs so much few can afford it. I sacrificed in many areas to buy what I have and I don't make big money. I wanted a lake home, but deer land was more important, I wanted Wild or Viking season tickets, but hunting land was more important, I want a 2009 truck, but keep the old one and pay for that hunting land, I want to go out west and hunt, can't I keep paying for my hunting land. My dad was mostly correct, in 1983 he said some day son if you don't own your own hunting land you'll have no guarantee you'll have anything to hunt someday unless you want to hunt with potential masses. Sparcebag is right, the good old days are gone, it just seemed to get here too fast. Be careful everyone and lets all make it a point to keep on teaching others and respecting one another the best we can. Good New Year's Resolution if it don't get clouded along the way.

A couple years ago i built a nice permanent stand on public land and i guess someone wasn't very happy with where i put it cause we came back about 2 weeks before the season to check our other spots and someone shot the steps of it off. We fixed it then we walked looking for another stand near by and found a big stand on a tripod not 150 yards away. Guys out of that stand shot a big 8 and 10 pointer this year.

What Ive noticed in the last few years around here is there are less people hunting public land...Maybe just less people hunting in general. I can go out on a weekday and have any spot I want anywhere practically.