• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Don’t Bother....

SM1

Don’t bother putting much $$ into a perm stand on state forest land.

Earlier this fall I put up a stand in a 3-tree cluster and wrapped it with camo burlap for concealment/wind protection. Total cost of the wood and burlap was $50. I had hunted this same spot (sat on ground) for the past two seasons without bumping into any other hunters, plus the stand is an easy 500 yds. off any forest road. I spent extra time looking for other stands in the area, with hopes to get away from other hunters, and found none.

I sat there opening weekend and got a doe and was happy. When I go back for muzzle opener I find all the burlap cut off the thing and all laying on the ground.

I don’t understand it! It was a nice stand. I know its public property now, but what’s wrong with just using it as opposed to destroying it?? Some people are just total zero’s.

* Temporary tree stands are allowed in state forests, including portable and constructed stands, but marketable trees greater than 4 inches in diameter at 4 feet off the ground cannot be cut to construct an elevated hunting scaffold. However, shrubs, lateral tree branches, and saplings smaller than 4 inches in diameter at 4 feet off the ground may be removed if used for scaffold construction. Cutting shooting lanes is not allowed.

* Construction of permanent shelters is prohibited in state forests. This applies to permanent enclosed deer stands and structures associated with their use such as toilets and camp shelters.

* Deer stands on state forest lands are considered available for public use and must remain accessible to all. More about hunting in state forests

The way I understand it is that anything with walls or roof is illegal on state forest land.

This is a debated topic thats for sure, my guess is a CO tore it down thats pretty much what they do just tear it to pieces and leave it. Which i think is funny being there for nature wouldnt it be better to take the trash and everything with them???

In my experience when a CO tears it down it will be left in a neat pile and usually with a business card. They usually attempt to educate you to prevent future issues. I doubt it was a CO if it was just ripped down in shambles. I am pretty sure you are not allowed sides or a roof on it, but I could be wrong.

I don’t think it was a CO either. No business card or any written message anywhere. Unless a CO was out hunting and came upon it? I just wouldn’t expect them patrolling the woods so far off the beaten path..but maybe?

If it was a CO that did it, than I understand but I have my doubts.

Ive seen many other stands on state forest land with burlap or carpet wrapped around them. Do you think this would be considered "permanent walls?" I mean you can practically see right through my burlap....

Horrible what people will do. Even if it was a CO, leave it alone! It is not yours!

Tell me this.........why can someone put a 30 foot fish house on a lake and lock it up for 3 months, but a guy can't put out a permanent stand and lock it up for a few weeks out of the year?

This isn’t an issue of whether the stand is legal or not. After roaming the woods over the past few years and seeing other stands, I called the DNR wondering if its legal to build them where I was hunting. They said yes, but once its up it becomes public property.. Fair enough.

Here's what I think may have happened:

1. Someone wanted to be a jerk

2. Someone wanted to bow hunt and needed more clearance

3. Someone couldn’t find it in the morn and got mad

4. Someone didn’t think their orange would be seen/safety

5. CO took down my "perm" walls

At any rate-still annoying.

The stand deal UMMM. If ya can have a stand completly enclosed,windows (which I here about here LOTS)A heater installed so as to not be in the elements. Then Why Do you need a special permit to hunt out of a stationary vechile??

I really see no difference between the two,Unless the stand is a platform W/ safety rail.

Tell me this.........why can someone put a 30 foot fish house on a lake and lock it up for 3 months, but a guy can't put out a permanent stand and lock it up for a few weeks out of the year?

I agree with you on this. I have been making this argument for years.

Is it because there might be even more issues if people start kinda locking up public land by putting permanent stands, sure they are everyones to use, but won't the issues arise like I built it or you build them, drive up to camp lets say in the Rum River State Forest and another group is set up to camp on the approach where you constructed these and then what ? I already see people locking up these approaches in the Rum a week ahead of rifle season just to kinda lock it up so there group kinda gets an in and other hopefuls keep driving.

COs will leave a card and ususally they confiscate the materials. If I were you if I'd make your stand, but have a ladder or something to get up to it. Hide the ladder somewhere else. Then nobody will mess with your work

Is it because there might be even more issues if people start kinda locking up public land by putting permanent stands, sure they are everyones to use, but won't the issues arise like I built it or you build them, drive up to camp lets say in the Rum River State Forest and another group is set up to camp on the approach where you constructed these and then what ? I already see people locking up these approaches in the Rum a week ahead of rifle season just to kinda lock it up so there group kinda gets an in and other hopefuls keep driving.

Don't get me wrong, I have never built a stand on public land and probably never will, and I don't really believe that they are necessary with all of the nice manufactured stands that are available today. But I guess the point I was trying to make which is what Roofer already stated, is that if a person can lock up a piece of structure out on a lake for a whole winter fishing season then I am not so sure that it should matter if you lock up a piece of land for a hunting season. Plus, a fish house may not be used by someone else like a deer stand can be when it is on public land.

Just an observation, not a complaint at all.

Interesting Dave, I hear ya, I'll try to take the other side of the fence, isn't there a 10 or 15 foot rule when it comes to ice houses so would we make a rule on distance between stands on public ground ? We have 5.2 million people in MN, crowding is becoming, excuse me is an issue in many parts of the state, hunting or fishing. If I could lay claim to some public ground and quaranteen off some area I could sell my hunting land !

Yea, what ever happened to sportsmanship and respect for other peoples space?

I made special effort to make sure no one else was around me. No one likes someone they dont know right next to them on opening morning.

I will still hunt on state land, but I have been searching and saving for some land of my own. I cant wait to make that purchase. I know having your own land won’t necessarily eliminate problems like this but it couldn’t hurt.

Yea, what ever happened to sportsmanship and respect for other peoples space?

See that's the whole problem SM1, its not YOUR space in the first place. It is State Forest, ie. the PUBLIC's space. I have no sympathy for what happens to a stand built on public property, its not yours to build on or yours to control. You shouldn't be building things into the trees and dmaging them. Nothing should be allowed on state land except portables that are taken down. Climbing stands are readily available and very portable. If you need the taj-mahal perm stand, then you better have your own land to put it on...