Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
&JAG

Tactics for the Walleye on Red Lake?

10 posts in this topic

I've been an avid eye chaser for years now almost exclusively yet this will be my first trip to Red Lake. Any presentations that work best on this particular lake? Or is there anything I should know about the habits of the fish on Red?

If you go to the Red Lake forum there is a guide there that posted his top go to lures for Walleye, Pike, and Crappie. Check there and good luck up there.

Put down bait bring up fish.That worked for me.I have had good luck with my home made brass spoons with glow on one side single hook forward through the back.We would also look for gravel.However you will get input from people who know this lake way better than I do.The guys in the resorts will help you also.

I was fishing for crappies last year and caught TONS of eyes on Red, using just crappie minnows and small jigs

Try different areas and glow red has always been my staple on that lake especially in the low light hours. Bring plenty of glow red in jigs and spoons of different sizes

If all you're catching are little perch, then move! That's about all I know. Sometimes relocating about 50 feet or 50 yrds can make a whole lot of difference.

from my experience on red ( handful of times ) the eyes will hammer anything in front of them.

glow red is killer...glow anything is best really...maybe somethin that makes a little noise or vibration to attract them or if the water is stained or dirty.

crappie minnows, emerald shiners, fat heads, they will bite it all.

If you go to the Red Lake forum there is a guide there that posted his top go to lures for Walleye, Pike, and Crappie. Check there and good luck up there.

A few early season tricks

URL forum Jonny P report

The only advice I can give you is to hook minnow, drop minnow down hole, wait for bobber to go down, and bring fish up. You really don't have to try hard on catching eyes up there.

But seriously, the best colors that work for me is pink and chartruse. Can't wait to get up there again.

i had the best luck last year on a glow red rattling varmint with a 2 inch dropper to a red treble. tip that with a lively minnow and hold on! also the glow blue rattling varmint was deadly when nothing else would get em. when it got dark i switched to a glow blue jiggin rap and caught a few on that also.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• If this crazy weather keeps up a guy might have to go to the mountains to have enough snow to ride.
    • I purchased a 20v 986 Dewalt brushless and used it with my Nils 8" and could not believe how fast it cut. Very close to my Tanaka motor as far as speed. My plan is to use it with my 6" Nils but wanted to give it a good test and it passed with flying colors. 
    • Pretty sure Bernie had that figured out. After the primaries I voted for "not Trump" You guys haven't picked up that liberals are still going for not Trump, even if that means Mike Pence (who from a political position standpoint is worse for liberals).   Instead you have Trump, a man incapable of taking any form of criticism regardless of how irrelevant it is to anything. Why do I post the crowd sizes? Because Trump, in a speech given only to members of the CIA, thought it was important enough to mention, as well as to have a team of his own people there to applaud when he mentioned the size of the crowds.
    • Here's the exact reason why I encourage everyone to buy the digital readout.  After getting holes drilled and everything setup, I always run my bathroom roof fan/vent to get rid of the moisture as the slush on the floor gets melted.  Yesterday I cranked the fan on max which moves some serious air, but I forgot to crack a window, which caused it to actually suction the CO from my water heater back into the house through a propane line pass through.  I looked up and saw 30ppm on the CO detector, which isn't high, but an indicator that something wasn't right.  All it took was cracking a window and turning down the fan for a minute and it was back to 0.  
    • You do realize the person you wanted to be president couldn't even understand the proper protocol for setting up a cabinet level email account don't you?    
    • I looked into fiberglass a few years back for a build.  I decided against it as it needed a wood backer.  Not sure if there is a different product out there now.  
    • finally got out Friday, put on 75 miles in the heavy drizzle, not the first time I have riden in the rain. the trails were OK, I rode in aitkin co. that doubles the miles I put on in the last two years.
    • they load tested the battery and said it was bad, everything else they said was fine, they put in a new battery. tried it today after sitting since Tuesday, and it started up fine, problem fixed.   I have a 2002 grizz carbed, and that sat for close to 3 months, went to start it this weekend, and it cranked for at least a minute (very cold blooded machine) and it started, it has the same battery that's in the Polaris.
    • Precious snowflake Trump needs a safe space from the media apparently.   I suggest you familiarize yourself with the word kakistocracy, because that appears to be the road we will be traveling down.
    • No,I am saying those who are left with jobs are working for those who Obama is happy to give money to for nothing. He was as bad as it gets in terms of getting people back to work after a recession especially when you factor in the amount of money he spent to do it.
  • Our Sponsors