• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

NEW wheeled house MN-DMV Registration requirement.

mnfin

Took a look through the 2008 fishing regs and found a new requirement for wheeled houses. Not only do you need your license from the DNR if you plan on leaving your house on the ice, you must also register your house with the DMV before you can pull it to the lake. This is the note from the regs.

MN_DMV%20note.jpg

I called the DMV and you are looking at a $55.00 registration fee and a $24.00 tab fee.

Pass this info on so that you can prevent a trip from being ruined by an added ticket for not registering your house.

This seems like we are getting charged twice. I know as long as it had a fish house tag on it before you didn't need a trailer tag, but now I will need to buy both. I assume a lifetime license will go on a fish house trailer?

This seems like we are getting charged twice. I know as long as it had a fish house tag on it before you didn't need a trailer tag, but now I will need to buy both. I assume a lifetime license will go on a fish house trailer?

of course there going to charge us twice thats more money for them! idk why the trailer would need it....most houses are built the to frame so its not like in summer your dumping the fishhouse and using the trailer for something else....to me this is ridiculous

Originally Posted By: ec30_06

of course there going to charge us twice thats more money for them! idk why the trailer would need it....most houses are built the to frame so its not like in summer your dumping the fishhouse and using the trailer for something else....to me this is ridiculous

man this sucks

I just picked up a lifetime trailer license for $66 on my smaller wheelhouse. This is a requirement this year if you use any kind of trailer to transport a fishhouse (even if trailer is part of your fishhouse. i.e wheelhouse).

Mine weighs less than 3000 pounds. They asked how new it was for some reason (sales tax?). Mine was old enough.

No other fees for me. No plates, just a lifetime sticker to attach to your trailer tongue. Just needed to fill out a form for description of it.

As with any fishhouse (portable, permanent or wheelhouse). you only need the DNR fish house license if you leave the fishhouse unattended overnight.

Ya think that stinks. They are going to hit you for taxes on what you paid for it too unless you purchased it new and have proof of payment of taxes. I just figured out what my bill will be. $55 + $24 + $292.5 = $371.50. I may have to forget about christmas if I want to get the thing to the lake.

Really not sure on the age thing ( I said 7 years) and I stated my wheeled house was homemade.

This was right from the regs and I can't see where they changed it?

Shelters-

The following regulations apply to fish houses, dark houses, and portable shelters used on all Minnesota waters, unless otherwise noted elsewhere in this booklet.

• All shelters, which include dark houses, fish houses, and portable shelters, placed on the ice of Minnesota waters must have either the (1)complete name and address, (2)driver’s license number, or (3)the nine-digit Minnesota DNR number on the license of the owner plainly and legibly displayed on the outside in letters, and figures at least 2

inches in height. Dark houses, fish houses, and portable shelters placed on the ice for shelter while fishing do not need new a license unless the house will be left unattended overnight.

new Note: The Dept. of Public Safety - DVS now requires trailers used to haul fish houses or dark houses and enclosed trailers or recreational trailers used for fishing must be registered. See your local Deputy Registrar for trailer registration.

When I was this in the regs, I sent an email off to the DNR. Here is what they had to say. It also clarifies the overnight/unattended topic.

Email from the MN-DNR: “Yes, it needs to be registered as a trailer with Public Safety. If it is left unattended on the ice from midnight to one hour before sunrise then it also needs to have the DNR dark house/shelter license.

For more information on requirements from DMV regarding the trailer licensing, you can e-mail them at [email protected] .

**Dtro, those are a pair of Mahi Mahi from my trip to Hawaii last May.

Not all wheeled fish houses will get the lifetime license. If it has bunks or the rear cargo doors it has to be licensed as an Rv trailer which will have to be renewed every year. They also need to have the proper trailer lighting. Also need to have brakes if the GVWR of the trailer is over 3000 pounds.

This is the one I dont get.

Right off the MN DMV HSOforum.

Trailers

If your trailer fits one of these two rules:

It weighs less than 4,000 pounds (including its load), or

It's an agricultural trailer weighing less than 10,000 pounds (including its load)

then it doesn't have to be titled or registered.

Trailers larger than that should follow our Registration and Titling instructions.

Sooo, I just bought a snowmobile trailer and according to this I dont need to title or register it. I still dont get it. Doesnt need a lifetime license or a license plate!

Here's another goodie for ya all. If it has a GVWR of over 3000# (typically a 'toy hauler') to be legal, It must have brakes capable of stopping the trailer! To read it for yourselves, Google "Trailer Brake Requirements/Minnesota" it is the first search result. Look at Statute 169.67, Subd 3, Paragraph a. Should you be stopped and found to be over your licensed weight, with no brakes, you could be required to leave the trailer set until it is correctly licensed and properly equipped with brakes. I for one won't let my house set on the side of the highway for any reason. I'll drag it away! But, that would be the worse scenario, it could result in a ticket that none of us really want/need. Phred52

Ya think that stinks. They are going to hit you for taxes on what you paid for it too unless you purchased it new and have proof of payment of taxes. I just figured out what my bill will be. $55 + $24 + $292.5 = $371.50. I may have to forget about christmas if I want to get the thing to the lake.

wow thats alot of $ to just get it to the lake! thats nuts!

Originally Posted By: eyebjim

wow thats alot of $ to just get it to the lake! thats nuts!

Well, I paid $8K for my wheel house, then went to the DMV and Paid $520 in tax, then paid the plate fee to register it as an RV, plus sticker fee (which is yearly)...only to find out that the house was not road legal. Then I had to add marker lights ($100 or so) for being 8' wide, and had to add brakes. To add brakes to existing axels would cost $900 because there was no way to mount brakes to them without welding on a flange and wiring, etc. So I decided to just have the Mfg replace the axels with attached brakes for approx $1500. All told, my great "deal" that I got on my wheel house ended up costing me over $10k, and I have to get a new sticker every year. All that for something I will use 2 months out of the year. Yeah, they got us by the short hairs.

Yep, That's pretty much it... we been gripped by the short and curly's... AGAIN! I'm presently in the process of installing the brakes on my own. Fortunately, I'm capable of the required welding and wiring that's required for the install. And even at that, it's still a major expense. Phred52

so what if you pull your wheel house from a private lake lot to the ice with no road travel? would you still need the trailer license? would a C.O see the house out on the lake unattended see no trailer license and ticket you or just a cop or trooper on the hi way?