• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cabela's Trophy Purchase

They have to get em from somewhere....

I don't think [PoorWordUsage] and Jim got all of em.... wink

Heard a rumor yesterday that they offered something like 150k for some young kids 28 pointer or something like that. Ya, I'd sell - then get my replica made for home.

Ummm... sorry, but I don't know if he answers to Richard.

I know they have "buyers" that do nothing but search for taxidermy specimens to be used in their stores. They work directly with many taxidermists to find what they are looking for - how you get in touch with one is beyond me. I know this position exists because I applied for it about 3 years ago.

i once knew a guy who knew a guy who shopped for antlers for cabelas. he saw the rack i got bow hunting this year when i brought it down to the cities here and he told me something like that would have easily brought in 6 grand just for the antlers cut off of the head, no shoulder mount!

I think if they really want your antlers/mount they will find you. I wouldn't sell one unless I got a heck of a chunk of change. On the other side, you could always get a replica made. The story is more important then the mount anyway and you will always have that!

Right on leech I've been saying it for years, what % are legit hunter shot fair chase racks at these stores and how many are poached ? I was told the 2005 state record non-typical muzzleloader buck, which I took a lot of interest in because the guys that got it also had trespassed on my property the day they took it and i want to know why to this day, anyway heard he was offered 10,000, not sure if that is a fact. I think some poach a buck, take a regular season buck, claim the poached rack is the legal buck taken, sell it and cash in.

Right on leech I've been saying it for years, what % are legit hunter shot fair chase racks at these stores and how many are poached ? I was told the 2005 state record non-typical muzzleloader buck, which I took a lot of interest in because the guys that got it also had trespassed on my property the day they took it and i want to know why to this day, anyway heard he was offered 10,000, not sure if that is a fact. I think some poach a buck, take a regular season buck, claim the poached rack is the legal buck taken, sell it and cash in.

Muskybuck are you talking about the BIG BOY shot with Blackpowder over by New york Mills?

They shot it on your Land?

If that rack is only worth 10 grand, I don't think there have been any deer taken worth 150. I have a tough time believing much of this, no one here has first hand knowledge of being offer cash for a large buck. By the way, I'd take the cash and a replica mount, you still have the pictures and memories, who needs the actual rack. Kind of the same way people are with fish though, if it's a replica it doesn't count even though you also have pictures. I've CPR'd many fish and lots of little bucks, I don't have anything on my wall, yet.

Mike

I was working in Medford a few years back and ran into the taxidermest doing some of the mounts for the Cabellas in Owatonna, MN. He was using a shed in town at that time a few years back, but not sure where all the animals he was mounting came from. Pretty cool to see some of the displays he was putting together in there and the exotic animals. Using chicken wire and paper mache for rocks etc. Very interesting stuff. He was working full time for them, not running a regular taxidermy outfit.

No, this guy was working out of a small blue and white pole shed in Medford. The displays were for the Owatonna store I assumed. He said he worked for them making displays anyway.

I was working in Medford a few years back and ran into the taxidermest doing some of the mounts for the Cabellas in Owatonna, MN. He was using a shed in town at that time a few years back, but not sure where all the animals he was mounting came from. Pretty cool to see some of the displays he was putting together in there and the exotic animals. Using chicken wire and paper mache for rocks etc. Very interesting stuff. He was working full time for them, not running a regular taxidermy outfit.

Thats real nice and all, but

What does this have to do with my original Question?

Looks to me like know one (as 00rowe pointed out) on here as any

first hand knowledge.

Yea, I know you heard your Buddies best friend's Girl Friends father was offered 50G's for that 195 class whitetail, but what I was looking for was some hard evidence