Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Johnny_Da_Der

Through the back or through the mouth?

19 posts in this topic

How do you hook your minnows? I usually go through the back, I think it gives them better action. Also, I think you have to give the fish a little more time before setting the hook when you hook them through the mouth.

I almost always hook thru the back. Parrallel to the back fin just under the skin.

i find they stay on better thru the lips. Also seen way too many people kill their minnows by hooking too deep into the back.

I'll back hook larger ones but small stuff its thru the lips

I do the same as macohorn but gobluem makes a really good point. If you are going to hook through the back, especially little crappie minnows, you want to hook them above the spinal column. On really little minnows you end up with a paper thin piece of skin on the hook. It takes some practice but makes a much more natural presentation in the end than a minnow hooked through the nose.

I often hook them through the tail with the hook coming from the underside. Those little buggers struggle to keep upright and it can be killer.

it all depends if the jig your using works better with a vertical or horizontal presentation.

i'll hook them in the tail, in the back, and through the lips...anyone else put the hook in the minnows mouth and go through the top instead of going through both lips? works better and your minnow will live longer imo.

it all depends if the jig your using works better with a vertical or horizontal presentation.

i'll hook them in the tail, in the back, and through the lips...anyone else put the hook in the minnows mouth and go through the top instead of going through both lips? works better and your minnow will live longer imo.

Agreed, it depends on the jig presentation. I like through the back, so I usually go with the appropriate jig for that style of presentation.

When I do hook them through the mouth, I go with the method you describe.

I usually go through the tail and my son go through the mouth. I think the tail gives you an advantage when the fish are picky. When they are biting really good I switch and go through the head because it is easier to hook the fish.

I actually meant the back not the tail

I think the tail gives you an advantage when the fish are picky. When they are biting really good I switch and go through the head because it is easier to hook the fish.

That's what I do too. For some reason when they are hitting lite the tail/back works better for me. I don't stick to any one method. I'll experiment to see what works best.

I go thru the back on minnows most of the time but hooking by the head can work also. Dont always do it the same way and switch it up

Usually it it through the back. I will hook through the mouth though when the bite is on. Never tried through the tail. Need to try that this year.

either down through the top of the mouth with the hook facing forward or parallel to the back from tail towards mouth. these are for crappies anyways.

It depends on the situation but overall I go through the back more often.