• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

how many ducks and geese did you help?

Originally Posted By: elwood
its a good idea to keep track not only for braggin rights but when you buy a new new licence you need it for HIP and the dnr do you use it in their records.

You actually get asked the HIP questions? wink

Not for the last two years.......

I'm sure the answers they get are all really accurate too wink

So I'm assuming when these guys that are listing ducks and geese in the hundreds (and practically beating their chest, and making our sport sound like its all about piles of dead critters...) are ALWAYS within the law and never have more than the possession limit of birds in their freezer???????

Wow that's alot of bacon wrapped goose in 7 weeks... Even if its between 3-5 guys, do they really consume enough in that short of time? If your giving most of your bag away just to keep hunting, is it still about the hunting and not just the size of the pile.?.?

So I'm assuming when these guys that are listing ducks and geese in the hundreds (and practically beating their chest, and making our sport sound like its all about piles of dead critters...) are ALWAYS within the law and never have more than the possession limit of birds in their freezer???????

Wow that's alot of bacon wrapped goose in 7 weeks... Even if its between 3-5 guys, do they really consume enough in that short of time? If your giving most of your bag away just to keep hunting, is it still about the hunting and not just the size of the pile.?.?

Agreed! Their is no way one person could have eatin 50-100 birds in 2 months. They don't taste that good.

As for numbers.......it was the worst year we have had in 15+ years. No rain in our area didn't help any, and didn't get out as much as I usually do. But that was simply for the fact that their were no ducks in the area all year. Although it was nice sitting in the blind with some good friends attempting to decoy a few ducks. I would say we shot around 30-40 ducks, and ZERO geese. First year ever I didnt even shoot at a goose!

We had a really good year up to november when the corn didnt come out on time and the water froze up too quickly. The birds just flew through with no food available. We ended up with 302 ducks (137 drake mallards) and 230 geese. Of those we had 7 goose bands and one banded drake mallard. This was with a group that went up to 8 guys somedays so. All of the meat is consumed or processed. We take our stuff into the locker plant and have sticks and brats made and they are delicious!

As long as we are listing group harvests, my group of 3-4 guys bagged around 115 ducks and 30 geese. All the ducks were shot on public land. I also personally shot 3 goose bands and a banded mallard this year. 4 bands out of 49 birds isent too bad! laugh

If I figured out the number of birds I shot for the amount of days I hunted, I only averaged about 1.4 birds a day. As soon as I got home those ducks were cleaned and on the grill. laugh

Eating a meal or two of ducks a week is not too hard, and its good for you. You also must remember that goose opened in september, so guys have been shooting geese for 3 months now. All my geese are made into jerky, and that doesent stay around for long. smile I eat my birds right away, the best tasting wild game is fresh wild game, just because guys shoot allot of birds does not mean they dont eat them in a timely (and legal) manner.

Quote:
ALWAYS within the law and never have more than the possession limit of birds in their freezer???????

Not everyone does that for sure, but I do, its pretty easy to do that if you know what to do. I eat them a lot after having birds in posession and we make jerky out of them and they go pretty fast.

Quote:
Agreed! Their is no way one person could have eatin 50-100 birds in 2 months. They don't taste that good.

maybe thats your case, but you can't beat chopped bbq goose for alfredo pasta, goose jerky, bbq goose fajitas, goose wild rice (crockpot), chopped up duck with italian for pasta, bbq duck fajitas, slow cooked duck breast in crockpot with gravy and spice, marinated duck breast with bacon wrapped. There are many ways I cook them and are actually good eating. smile

Quote:
I agree with chuckn and Hanson it about having a good time I could care less how many ducks I shoot.

well what do I do? finding spots with 500+ mallards, 500+ geese from scouting and go out hunting and all the birds are piling in and I just shoot one and go home...It only takes 4 mallards and 2 geese and I know 95% of you would try to get a limit, then its always fun to watch them come in when you have a limit of mallards or geese or whatsoever! smile

Its true for me, I just love to get out as much I can but its usually good hunting and I can't resist a limit! grin

maybe thats your case, but you can't beat chopped bbq goose for alfredo pasta, goose jerky, bbq goose fajitas, goose wild rice (crockpot), chopped up duck with italian for pasta, bbq duck fajitas, slow cooked duck breast in crockpot with gravy and spice, marinated duck breast with bacon wrapped. There are many ways I cook them and are actually good eating. smile

I gotta say...impressive numbers everyone! Its really good to see some good hunts from others, because i gotta say there were several points throughout the season that i was left completey baffeled and the reports from others supported that!So...I guess i didnt keep exact numbers down but give or take 10-15 birds i got it pretty close:

340 ducks

120 honkers

50 snows

510 total dead between 6 of us

Still got a month or so of honkers to kill but not sure how much of that i am up to...not to big on sitting out in a frozen field freezing my butt off! lol

Just for me 55 +or- ducks 3 geese. How do you count other people's ducks? I think more important numbers are how many cripples did you lose? How many shells shot per duck? and the most important one how much did you enjoy the experience? I know people that shoot over a hundred and fifty a year but never seem satisfied. Numbers are funny some people will say how it stunk when they got 2-3 in an a.m. shoot. I feel sorry for them.

Well each time I went out I came back with a few ducks or a goose. So I guess not getting skunked was cool, and enjoying my time out there was fun. the best time was when my 6 year old son was out. He just hung out in the duck blind and was eating a bunch of snacks when dad let a few mallards have it. He was so pumped and surprised. I think he though all we did was call for ducks and geese and ate snacks in the blind.

Originally Posted By: MN Greenheads
How do you count other people's ducks?

I think people refer to the total # of birds killed on all hunts they participated in.

You are correct.

As for cripples lost I got those numbers also.

6 ducks or 13 percent

2 geese or 17 percent

Having a dog helps allot, unless you hit the bird and it fly's away. smile

85 geese- mostly early season- 5 bands

Ducks- not worth listing

group of 3- 5 at a time

Can't help but mention- best day we had last year lmit (20) geese in 15 mintues. 8 leg bands and 2 neck bands. Pictures to prove but not on digital camera. Will try to scan. If any one wants

No ducks, maybe 12 geese. I don't shoot ducks in MN because from Ottertail Lake to Wadena there are very few ducks anymore especially after opening weekend, I don't have the heart to do it. Out all those goose hunting mornings and hardly ever see any ducks, if I saw better duck numbers I'd try for some drakes. I think the water quality in that area is extremely poor, the beaver is gone and so left the mallards and woodies.