• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

how many ducks and geese did you help?

did not take personal numbers this year so dont know how many we personally shot but here are my numbers that I was involved with, give or take a few(wanton waste and what not) my group is usually 3-4 guys

Ducks-99

geese-27 with late season to go.

Personal numbers here

39 ducks

10 geese (more too go)

3 hooded mergie's

Heres the species breakdown=

13-Mallards

10-GWT

5-Ring Bills

3-Redheads

3-Gadwalls

2-BWT

2-Widgion

1-woodduck

I would have to say this was the worst season I have had so far, not for numbers of ducks shot but for numbers of birds around, or saw. The migration never really materialized for me this year and I was out in the field allot! Shot a few more mallards than normal, they usually are not the bird I shoot the most of, and way less wood ducks. I usually bag at least 4-10 woodies a year. I also shot very few gadwalls compared to other seasons.

I duck and goose hunted once this year in a serious manner. That day I shot 3 ducks and a banded goose. I also plugged a few others jump-shooting. I think I totaled out at less than a dozen ducks and a single goose.

I was too busy chasing upland, and SERIOUSLY neglected waterfowl this year!

In my book it was an awsome year didn't shoot a ton of birds but, had some good times in the blind with friends. Got out more times then any other year. Hunted some new spots. We did end up with.

67 Ducks

Which were

41 woodducks

10 BWT

8 Mallards

5 GWT

2 Widgeon

1 spoonie

11 geese

and a band

Great amounts of birds guys considering It seemed like the bird numbers were down for us. If you harvested a good amount of birds congratulations you definately did you home work and put in your time. I have to admit though I am up with the guys that the experiance is what it's all about for me. As for myself birds harvested is a bonus, Don't kid yourself I like killing birds and I shoot a fair number every yr but in my case some of the guys (includeing my father)in my group are getting older so I personally like to cherish the hunts and moments we share together. Part of the memories are definately the birds shot and the misses. You never know when they will take their last hunt and those moments,laughs, time shared in the blind etc is all you will have down the rd when they are gone.

i quit counting. but basically TONS of honks and a few ducks.

probably experience wise the best fall ive had. had some great hunts in north dakota early season and minnesota regular season with awesome friends; and looking foreward to getting the time to hit some late season minnesota and south dakota honkers yet.

on a side note, my buddies finished out the season with a limit of mallards today....grrr.

in my case some of the guys (includeing my father)in my group are getting older so I personally like to cherish the hunts and moments we share together. Part of the memories are definately the birds shot and the misses. You never know when they will take their last hunt and those moments,laughs, time shared in the blind etc is all you will have down the rd when they are gone.

IceHawk, I follow you 100%. I like shooting ducks, but this being the first year without our Dad in the blind, and his best buddy and our duckin' mentor Jim (both died this past year, in their mid-60s) it sure was a different experience. I look back at those old pics with a tear in my eye now. But... I did get to seem yoldest Grandson (11) shoot his first waterswatted duck wink and also his first duck on the wing, and he loves duckin'!!! So it was a bittersweet season. But still a great season.

For ducks, I had good hunts (with plenty of friends sharing the hunts), 28 on opener, 26 or so next, 40 or so in NoDak next weekend, then two weekends off (for the most part to keep wifey happy, but still got out around here to scratch a few, ha!) then a 42 duck weekend instead of deer hunting. That pretty much summed it up. Plenty of ducks and shooting for us, but we always had more than just a couple guys, so only one real limiting out weekend. But overall we saw lots of ducks most of the days.

No geese though...

we as in 2 or 3 guys did fairly well didnt get out as much as we wanted but every time we were out it was a really good time.

96 ducks

37 geese and still hope to add to these numbers

my son shot his first goose this year and that more than anything was the best of all the season that I had.

CANT WAIT UNTIL NEXT YEAR

QUACK.QUACK

Quote:
nicely done Quack, nine bands is insane

yes I know it was a good season for us, early goose we had 6 hunters opening weekend. All ducks were banded the same place and banded this year or last year. The banded geese were from Iowa and Thief River Falls.

Quote:
Great amounts of birds guys considering It seemed like the bird numbers were down for us. If you harvested a good amount of birds congratulations you definately did you home work and put in your time.

Yeah that is true, we found fields with sheet water from the rain and had good mallard/geese combo shoots and flooded rice fields were pretty good too.

I agree with chuckn and Hanson it about having a good time I could care less how many ducks I shoot.Life to short about numbers.Just my rant.I had good years and bad.Just being out want counts.

It's not the number shot, it's the experience.. wink

my 10 year old was #1 gunner. I only took lead gun one day on our jumpshooting adventures.

d2-1.jpg

I guess fishing season and deer season made up for my waterfowl shortcomings....

I love these threads where everybody fudges their Bird numbers... grin

We did quite well on the Geese this year mainly Field hunting in the south Metro. We didn't have the killer Mallard Hunts or numbers from previous years but we had some decent Mallard and Woody outings.

I'm not quite as optimistic about the late Goose Season. As far as I can tell all the Geese we saw this weekend and it was in the 1,000's have all disappeared. We didn't see one Goose yesterday while scouting.

Might have to hit Rochester to bang some out!

its a good idea to keep track not only for braggin rights but when you buy a new new licence you need it for HIP and the dnr do you use it in their records.

You actually get asked the HIP questions? wink