• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fiocchi Pheasant Loads

We were in So. Mn for Thanksgiving and to hunt my uncle's land Fri & Sat. Saw a lot of birds. About 25-30 on Fri at one time. They were flying everywhere. Sat. we went back to the same spot and here's where my question comes in. A rooster got up in front of me, about 10 yards or so, good clean hit. I thought my shorthair was right on him, but no. Looked for at least 30 minutes and could not find him. Gave up and went back to hunting. Another rooster got up shot him and he went down in a ditch. Another good solid hit. Walked over to the edge of the ditch and the bird was at the bottom and still trying to run away. Didn't make it tho. Got him and went back to hunting. About 30 minutes later another rooster got up, nailed him with what I thought was a clean kill, nope, he hit the ground and took off running across a corn field. Gone. Okay, I'm using Fiocchi 5 shot 1-3/8 oz 2 3/4 shells in a 12 gauge O/U with modified choke. When I get home and go to clean our guns I notice a lot of unburned powder in the barrels. Never have seen this before. Could this be part of the problem of the birds not being dead? I've used Fiocchi shells before on quail and didn't have this problem. What do you guys think?

What iIhave been told is that some powders don't work as well in lower temperatures. If i recall correctly i think it's more common with European loads. Not sure where the Fiocchi's are made. This is just what I've heard so I can't confirm it personally but there may be something to it.

I'd try a little bigger shot, I use 4 shot as the smallest. some times 2 shot. Even with 4 shot, if you wing them, they will run. The key is to run to the spot you dropped them and look for moving grass, and if you have a dog, better yet. We had one bird go down in the grass, took off running into the plowed field and ran about a half mile. Another hunter in our party ended up miraculously finding them. Them roosters are some tough birds!

I don't think the shells are at fault unless you got into a bad batch for some reason. Fiocchi's are good quality shells. I swear by them. I use the 1 3/8 oz. #5's late season and think they are great. You may want to pattern your gun. They may not pattern the way you think with the mod choke.

You also may have been hitting the back end of the bird or been off by a little. I've had solid shots that weren't so solid after I cleaned the bird and saw where the hits were.

Thats a good point gspman. But can you tell me why all the unburned powder in the barrel? The first bird I shot was dead when it hit the ground. It's the other 3 and the powder situation I'm concerned with.

I don't think the shells are at fault unless you got into a bad batch for some reason. Fiocchi's are good quality shells. I swear by them. I use the 1 3/8 oz. #5's late season and think they are great. You may want to pattern your gun. They may not pattern the way you think with the mod choke.

You also may have been hitting the back end of the bird or been off by a little. I've had solid shots that weren't so solid after I cleaned the bird and saw where the hits were.

I agree! Although I think I am switching to all steel after I go through my remaining boxes of 5 shot Fiocchi lead. I do like the shells though. I know we have had the same exact situation you describe on a bird that's been shot by two people yet still runs away. The particular one I remember was a fairly close shot but was flying strait out away from us....about eye level maybe a little lower.

As far as the unburned powder...did you actually pull this stuff out of the barrel and try lighting it? Just curious how you know it's gun powder and not residue left over from the shot. I know there's always a bunch of stuff in the barrel no matter what shells I shoot.....I guess this stuff could be mistaken for gun powder. But...maybe your seeing something I have not.

I don't think it's unburned powder. I have noticed in the past that fiocchi shells shoot very dirty. They work fine. Just very dirty. I don't know why.

Koonie, now I was just about to say the complete opposite. It is all I shoot for Grouse and I feel they have been the cleanest shell I have put thru my guns. I have never had a problem with them.

I love them, it is all I shoot and will continue to do so until we can no longer shoot lead. That day is not to far off I believe.

I shoot alot of Fiocchi #5's in 16 ga. Love the shells, no fouling or performance issues. That load in a modified choke over a pointer should be no problem. Roosters are easy to knock down but but tuff to kill. A lab would have helped with the cripples.

I would be upset with the dog not the load... wink Where was your shorthair while all of this was going on? My shorthairs would kill to have a runner try to make it across a corn field!

I've never shot Fiocchi loads, so I can't add my two bits about them.

I bought 4 boxes a couple years ago because they were the cheapest. I couldn't hit squat the first time out with them so I went to Federals. The next outing I went back to the Fiocchi's and seemed like I couldn't miss.

after that, no complaints from me. They were 2 3/4" #5.

I just came back from South Dakota and used Fiocchi's for the first time. Typically I use Federal Wing-Shok with 1-1/4 oz of #5. My brother brought 4 boxes of the Fiocchi 1-3/8 oz #5's and told me he heard great things about them and I should try them.

I shot with my Federals the first day to make sure I was on. I shot 7 birds in 90 minutes so I guess I was.

The next day I went with the Fiocchi and for the first few shots I didn't have any problem but after that the shell was incredibly hard to eject from my pump action. My brother and my cousin had the same problem in their pumps. My dad tried them and they worked fine in his semiauto. They did kill birds, however, and I had 6 more in the bag that day.

I plan on giving my gun a good cleaning and trying them again. Hopefully I can finish up the box, but I'll stick with my Federals after that.

Things looked pretty good last Sat: 4 shots, 4 roosters with my Fiocchi 5's. Every bird hit the ground dead. Then I started having problems: 2 shots and the birds kept flying. I'm pretty sure it was the shells...certainly wasn't the shooter or 30mph winds. smile

Seriously though, these are the first instances I have heard of Fiocchi problems. Are they 3" or 2.75" shells? 3" are more prone to problems ejecting in my pump, especially when doing it quickly.

I'm pretty sure they were 2.75" but I'll check when I get home. What was happening was the brass was being blown out just enough to make it tough coming out of the chamber. You could see the scrapes on the brass. I'd really have to bear down on the fore end to eject it. When I switched back to Federal's, the problem went away. It happened on both my Winchester 1200, my brother's 1200, and my cousin's Remington 870. The shells were bought about 4 weeks at a local sporting goods store.

I would be upset with the dog not the load... wink Where was your shorthair while all of this was going on? My shorthairs would kill to have a runner try to make it across a corn field!

I've never shot Fiocchi loads, so I can't add my two bits about them.

Thats what I was wondering as I tried desperately to not have a heart attack from chasing that bird. She was on point on another bird. So the wife told me. Didn't feel it was necessary to get mad at her for doing her job,seeing its her first year hunting and all.

I agree with Breuer. Any good bird dog should be able to mark and retrieve most birds. Really should come up with all birds this time of year when the cover is depleted. I can see losing birds in 8 ft. tall corn in early october but not this time of year.

As for Fiocchs, I love the 1 1/4 5's. Were they old shells???

I'm pretty sure they were 2.75" but I'll check when I get home. What was happening was the brass was being blown out just enough to make it tough coming out of the chamber. You could see the scrapes on the brass. I'd really have to bear down on the fore end to eject it. When I switched back to Federal's, the problem went away.

Same thing happens in my O/U. The Brass swells and the ejectors won't remove the shell. a few times I actually had to use a screw driver to pry the shells out. I gave them away and went back to Federals and all is well. I have also noticed this with some Winchester loads.