• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

The birthday, the Bog, the Birds

Well, since I'm still 29 and getting younger every day, it was no problem getting up at 5 a.m. today and heading to the Sax-Zim Bog for some photography and companionship with JayinMN. gringrin

Quite the day indeed.

Here's some of what we found.

3075848817_463d618ac7_o.jpg

3076681282_84d46fe25b_o.jpg

3076680528_1b41462975_o.jpg

3075847887_eed45cab33_o.jpg

3076680312_1ec1b7d7bc_o.jpg

3076679642_daca5f00c8_b.jpg

3076670508_a1c083fda3_o.jpg

3076681004_fe7307b7de_o.jpg

Way to go Steve!...The birthday gods were sure with you and Jay for sure!.....that great gray sure looks sweet poseing atop that spruce!.....Alljust beautiful captures and the lighting with the sunny day on all your subjects is great!...A day like that was common down in the bog during the "owl invasion days" of 2005-06.....maybe it's a "sign" grin.....of course I'll be "down that way" this weekend......of course.........like the song..."Anticipation" grin.......It's what lifes all about I guess...

Absolutely stellar! Looking at your work over the last few months I can't help but to want to know about your post processing flow (not to suggest that you are doing a great deal of it). Your shots always really pop in my mind and I haven't been able to put my finger on what you are doing that takes a great initial capture and really makes it stick out. I am assuming that you are doing your shooting in RAW and working out the color correction, contrast, amount of sharpening, etc. I'd love some insight into your process (if your willing to share). Looks like you had a good birthday. grin

Absolutely stellar! Looking at your work over the last few months I can't help but to want to know about your post processing flow (not to suggest that you are doing a great deal of it). Your shots always really pop in my mind and I haven't been able to put my finger on what you are doing that takes a great initial capture and really makes it stick out. I am assuming that you are doing your shooting in RAW and working out the color correction, contrast, amount of sharpening, etc. I'd love some insight into your process (if your willing to share). Looks like you had a good birthday. grin

Michael, I didn't want you to think I was blowing you off. I just saw this.

There are some steps I take in PP with most images, but none that I automatically take with ALL images. I shoot some RAW, some jpeg. If exposure is easy and there appear to be no challenges, I'll shoot jpeg over RAW, but if there are any anticipated difficulties I'll choose RAW for the ease of alteration before opening the file. When I shoot jpeg, I shoot on "faithful" or "neutral" in picture styles so the camera isn't adding contrast, sharpness and saturation on its own.

Probably at some point I need to take an image and post the unaltered original, then a step-by-step on what I'm doing and pics through the process and then the final pic.

It's pretty involved as how-tos go