Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Weed Shark

Pedigree/Inbreeding

9 posts in this topic

Serious Dog Folks, and Local Genetic Experts-

How much...is too much? For instance, out of 8 great, great grandfathers…and 8 great, great grandmothers, how many repeats or multiples?

Some breeders may not depart from there line of dogs enough.

There is no cut and dried answer to this question. I think it depends on the line and the judgement of the breeder and what he/she is trying to accomplish.

I have had a couple dogs where the same ancestors show up multiple times in the pedigree on both sides. They were/are good linebred birddogs.

It's kind of a buyer beware thing too. If a person is not comfortable with tight breeding then don't buy.

Weed Shark are you looking at a breeding trying to decide to take the plunge?

Gspman,

I likely will take the plunge today. There is a "great, great grandfather" that shows up multiple times in the pedigree.

Now that I've slept on it, I'm bothered a little, but not enough to sway me. I've done enough other research.

What dog do you have and plan on breeding (male or female)? Do you plan on outcrossing or breeding back to the same line?

Ive done alot of studying and reading lately on breeding dogs. It played a big role in how I determined who I buy my dogs from. If you do a google search for "westwind gsp linebreeding" you will find a very lengthy article on this subject.

I personally look at breeders who sell their dogs with limited registration, to ensure that their line will be maintained or moved ahead, if the owners should choose to breed them.

Successful breeding is a long and difficult task. It requires several years commitment to a particular line of dogs. Its not as simple as just pairing 2 dogs together and a sucessfull breeding doenst happen over night.

A breeding should be well thought out, and most importantly done to improve the line or breed. It shouldnt be done based on titles but on natural raw talent.

To me the question is not about line breeding, but what dogs do I want to see line breed. Line breeding can intensify health problems if the are some in the line or can keep your line clean. Pure bred dogs are all a product of line breeding. As per your concern about sharing a grand parent, the question why is that dog showing up and is it good or bad.

One of the nicest litters I ever seen was a father\daughter hook up. Don't let the white haired banjo playing kid give line breeding a bad rap, remeber he was a he11 of a picker.

Dogs

Remember that dogs have an extra chromosome than people so breeding closer together isn't as dangerous. I wouldn't hesitate to go with a great grandfather that shows up multiple times, a mother to son or brother to sister would be a little close for me but my dog has the same dog for grandfathers on both sides and he he also the great grand father on one side.

Line breeding for dogs was based on the breeding they did for cattle, if done correctly and responsibly there should be no problems.

I am of the same opinion as Setterguy. Gr-Grandfather is far enough back, IMO to not be a major concern. It is a fairly common practice in our dog club to see that, and it has been done for the last 100+ yrs.

Good luck!

I'm sending my deposit. Thanks for your info.

In this case Great, Great Grandpa shows up 5-8. So there is, half-brothers and half-sisters, from him, breeding on both sides as grandparents. It is a very good dog to show up repeatedly.