• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Warming up an automobile

I used to work with someone at Target while working on overnights. After punching out to go home, she'd hop in her car, start it, then walk back into the building. A squad car drove by, saw this, and gave her a warning. Said that next time she'd get a ticket. This was in West St. Paul.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In extreme cold I turn my headlights on for 15-30 seconds prior to starting and have never been stranded. Been doing this for the last 20 years after car wouldn't start on a very cold day and someone told me about the headlight trick. Maybe just a coincidence, but I'll keep doing it till it doesn't work.

if you have a good battery you wouldnt need to turn on your headlights to have enough battery to start the car.

If you didnt have a good battery, is the car going to start at 5 below anyways?? I think not.

if its going to be that cold I yank the battery and bring it inside for the night. Toasty warm battery when its 15 below means I get to work on time......

I'm not sure if its a state or metro deal but the car can not be left unattended with the keys in the ignition and running.

i bent my key slightly so when i start it you can pull the key out of the ignition,leave it run and lock the doors smile

The theory I have heard that the lights draw just enough juice to warm the battery a little. That being said I think it bunk, a battery holds only so much juice and I would rather save it to turn the motor over.

Originally Posted By: airjer
I'm not sure if its a state or metro deal but the car can not be left unattended with the keys in the ignition and running.

i bent my key slightly so when i start it you can pull the key out of the ignition,leave it run and lock the doors smile

I am pretty sure it is a city law in Mpls that you can't leave car running unattended

I am an Electrical Engineer by education (BSEE Virginia Tech, 1970). I made the original statement in this thread about using the head lights for 30 seconds with a good battery to warm the battery and give extra cranking, and I stand by it.

I am an Electrical Engineer by education (BSEE Virginia Tech, 1970). I made the original statement in this thread about using the head lights for 30 seconds with a good battery to warm the battery and give extra cranking, and I stand by it.

Works for me Don. Back to back ACC football champion Hokies!

Most "experts" say that you don't need to let it warm up more than 15-20 seconds on a cold day. On the really cold days probably not longer than a minute. The real risk is running your motor too hard when the oil isn't fluid enough to lubricate properly. When you start hitting the goop-points that Don mentioned, you want to get the oil sloshing around a bit before moving.

Driving slowly after a minute or two won't harm your vehicle. Fast starts will hurt it in the beginning, but once the engine is partially warmed it's fine.

The reality is that the fuel isn't burning at it most efficient peak until the vehicle hits that 190-205 degree normal operating temperature. So you get worse fuel mileage. The worst fuel mileage is at idle.

IMO, and from everything that I've heard and read, any warming after 30-60 seconds is purely just to make it more comfortable for the driver. You aren't saving any parts from failure unless you plan to gun it out of the driveway. Even then you haven't given the transmission an opportunity to warm up.

So warm up the oil a little and then drive slow.

So its pretty cut n dried for engines. I want to hear about transmissions. Thats what makes the most noise after that one-minute warm up until its warmed up! Transmission, transfer case, front diffs, they all sing nice for 5 or 10 miles on a brisk -20 day!

All in all, I think it's really not that hard of a question.

You start it up, let it warm up for a minute or two, then drive off. I can tell when things start to loosen up and then I feel better about picking up the pace.

Although, I think it's a bit easier in a small town to take it easy for a while vs. in city traffic. If I had to get right out on the highway in traffic, I'd probably let it warm up a bit more.

Or you could jump out on the freeway in rush hour and never see you speedo needle move past 5MPH! grin

Especially the way it's gone the last week or so... As far as warming up the transmission goes, I've noticed that on my truck it holds gear longer when its cold. It does this to get the transmission heated up more quickly, and when its warmed up it shifts normally.