• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

new brakes

I need new brakes in my 2002 Chevy 2500HD Duramax. The original pads lasted 120,000 miles with some large towing. Any recommendations on pads? It is 4 wheel disk. Anything special with the install or should I bring it in somewhere. Any recommendations there?

I've done all of my own brake jobs as long as they're disc brakes. It's a fairly easy task that could cost a fortune if you take it in to the shop (labor).

I usually do rotors and pads together. But that was on cars. 4x4 truck rotors are far more expensive.

My last couple changes I've gone with ceramic pads. Trucks may be different. Especially in the case of HD trucks.

If you have that many miles on the originals than go with O.E.

A little warning if you plan on doing it yourself. They use loc-tite on all the caliper bolts. You will get a workout removing them. I would also suggest using quality tools for these as well.

Found out the rear calipers require a tool I don't have or have access to. Luckily a friend's dad is a GM diesel mechanic and has tools. He will be doing my brakes for me. I tow heavy loads and will feel better having a pro do the job.

I got OE pads and some aftermarket rotors from the GM dealer. The GM rear rotors are $400 a piece!! The aftermarket's are only $150. The dealer said that they don't even use the GM ones because they are so expensive. I can see why. If anyone seen that price on a bill, they would flip!

Anyways, new pads and rotors gonna be about $750. Not bad for 120,000 miles and such a heavy duty truck.

Our F550 that my Dad drives for work has all disk brakes. The last time he had a brake job (not long ago...they only last about 50,000 or less) it was $1200 just for the rear brakes and rotors installed.