• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

ATV REGISTRATION? 25 year old atv?

orangestew

What is the deal with not having to register an atv if it is 25 years or older? I have a 1984 Suzuki that still runs good and I use it occasionally to haul out a deer and for ice fishing. I just got my registration card in the mail which shows that I need to pay $51 to register.

So if it's a 1984 doesn't that make is 25 years old in 2009? Do I need to register it? Do I risk it and drive around with the expired tabs in January or do I really need to buy the new tabs.

There has got to be others out there with ATV's over 25 years old that are in the same situation. What do you do?

I wonder about that too. I emailed the DNR and all with my questions and this is all they replied back with?????

"On page 11 of the OHV regulations book it states that ATVs that are 25 years and older, registration is not required."

Janelle

DNR License Center

So I'm not sure how to take it?

Sounds to me you can either not use it for 29 days when it will be 2009 and thus 25 years old, or register it and use it without any worries, or just use it anyways and risk getting fined for the next 29 days. Take your pick. I know with my luck on getting checked I wouldn't take the 3rd option, and if money is tight I wouldn't take the 2nd option.

Orangestew, that's my point too. It's clear that 25 years or older don't require registration. But, what's unclear, it also says registered ATV's can be used on state land, right-of-ways, roadways where permitted, etc.

It could be interpretted that it would need to be registered if used in this manner regardless of age. Seems to me it's a gray area that needs an answer and the DNR didn't give it to you.

I have an '83 ATC that is registered to the end of 2009 so I'm good now but will be wondering what to do at the end of next year.

Statute 84.922 REGISTRATION

https://www.revisor.leg.state.mn.us/statutes/?id=84.922&year=2008

You can ride anywhere you legally can ride.

Looks like I've paid my last registration fees on the old 1984 Suzuki. I'll be sure to have my old registration and a copy of Statute 84.922 REGISTRATION

Same boat here also.

The old '84 Honda TRX 200 doesn't need to be renewed also.

..........Wonder if I could get a collector plate or something????

Also, I think the registrations are good through the end of the year. So if it is registered now, you're good to go. I would think the only reason you would want to register it is if you took it out of state.

KJ