• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

PS3 vs. 360

Drewski

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to turn this into a Ford/Chevy, Marcum/Vex I will try to give you my opinion.

I bought an original XBox when they first came out. I bought one game and that was Halo.

I spent a lot of time playing that game (before the days of supported multiplayer). Of course, I went on and purchased many other games, and always heard about how the PS2 was so superior, and I just didn't understand why.

I actively participated in community forums and as the console progressed I witnessed honest support for new ideas from the gaming community. In a nutshell they were listening to us.

Anyways, I followed the buildup of the 360 and purchased one shorty after launch day.

Right now I guess the only "Con" I can find on the 360 is that it doesn't support the standard for High Definition Movies (Blu-Ray).

I think the 360 network "Live" makes up for that though as being heads above what Sony offers.

Not only that, but just a personal preference, Sony to me has sort of a stigma for stickin to you with all their overpriced proprietary stuff.

As far as the gaming goes, I really think it's a wash as the games are pretty much the same. There are a few games that are only made for one or the other, but they are few and far between.

I would be more than happy to have either one of them below my TV. I just prefer the 360

Well, I just recently got a 360, and am extremely happy about my decision. I just beat Gears of War 2, and GoW2 Live totally rocks! (of course i keep getting my you know what handed to me by those online gamers)

One thing I know, is that for Xbox live, you need a subscription, and a year costs about 60 bucks or so.

From what I understand is that PS3 has free online access, so no subscription is needed...

I also picked up Shawn White Snowboarding, and it is hard, but way clean, graphix are awesome, and free run on all the mountain rules.

As of recent, more game design companies are signing contracts with ps3, so there should be more and more games coming out for ps3 as it gains clout...

I don't really watch that many dvd's and I'm not really willing, or care too much to pay the extra 10-20 bucks per blue ray movie, so...

Halo 3 is a ton of fun, but online isn't anywhere near as fun as Gears of War 2 on xbox Live.....

Get gears of war 2, and play on xbox live, you won't be sorry.

ps...(Dtro, if you do get GOW2, hit me up and we can game on live... my name is joeyquicksand)

Does it pay to get a PS3 if I already have a 360?

ONLY...if you want to watch Blu Ray movies and have the opportunity to play a few select games that won't be available for the 360.

I know guys that will go out and buy a complete system so that they can play one game that's not available on any other system.

Example:

Resident Evil 4 and anything that involves Mario (MarioKart, MarioKitchen MarioGardening, MarioBasketweaving etc) -> Nintendo

Halo --> XBox

Socom-->PS3

We bought a PS3 about 2 weeks ago to go with the new LCD TV.

Not only can you play Blu-Ray, but it will also upconvert regular DVD's as well.

I like saving the $60 per year for subscriptions, plus the rest of the family has a PS3, so we can play online against them.

IMO, I don't understand the XBox craze, nor can the rest of the family.

If you buy a Xbox, $300, and another Blu-Ray player, $179, you've got more into one unit that does it all, plus you don't have to pay to play online.

plus you don't have to pay to play online.

Have you had a chance to check out "Live"?

If not, I bet you would be pretty impressed what you get for your subscription. Online gaming is only a small part of it.

If you have a 360 unless there is a game for ps3 you just have to play or are considering a blue ray player there isnt a need for the other system.

When I was looking into a new console ps3 seemed to be the best bang for my buck. Blue ray, free online play, able to browse the web, wifi capable out of the box, no rrod worries...

Curious why is it you say xbox live is better? Ive never really used it much. What is it they are making you pay for?

I have a playstation 3 and love it!!! I have spent some time playing on a 360 but just seem to like the playstation gaming system better. There is nothing wrong with the 360 just personal preference. I would agree that i don't see how xbox live is better it is the same!

I guess as a disclaimer, I haven’t had a chance to really dig into the Playstation Network to see all the bells and whistles. From what I hear it’s pretty good. It sounds like the download times are a LOT longer than Live though. 2min vs 20min

All I know is that I’m pretty satisfied with the seamless network that Microsoft offers.

I also like the fact that I can download demos of possible games I might buy, and now with the addition of streaming Netfilx, there is no need to rent movies anymore.

Voice and video chat works pretty slick too, not to mention the friends list and party system.

When it comes down to it, is it worth $50/yr? Maybe not if someone else is offering it for free.

Again, it’s all a matter of preference. Like I said before I never really could get used to the Playstation controller and it seems petty, but that alone is enough for me to stick with the 360.

FWIW, you can pretty much do all that on the PS3.

Not really trying to bust your virtual balls dtro, just trying to help people that don't know one way or the other.

You can download products on the PS3 site, chat and use the "eye" for video.

As for streaming Netflix, I haven't dug that far into the internet browser part yet. I've got Dish, so they're set up now with 1080p on demand, which the list there grows every day.

I personally can't stand the xbox controller, but it's probably because I've been with Playstation since PS1. It really is a Ford / Chevy, Marcum / Vex, etc., discussion.

I personally can't stand the xbox controller

See that is exactly what I mean about preference. I think it's quite possibly the best controller that's been made for a console yet.

To me, it really comes down to game selection. I don't like using my systems other than for gaming.

I use to be a playstation fan. I loved their line of games. But with Halo 3 and gears of war being only on the box.... i just had to switch smile. Plus, I won my xbox through a raffle for 5$ wink. Whats even better, my favorite line of games.. Final Fantasy, is coming to the box.

I heard that game developers are having a real hard utilizing all the abilities of the PS3....Really hard time writing games for ps3. So far, there hasn't been any "high" rated games soley for PS3. Tons for the box.

But if you are choosing a multi media system....I would go ps3. Blu-ray is nice, and will be industry standard, and all the nifty other things previous posters posted smile

Exactly. It all goes to taylor the needs/wants of the consumer.

If you're buying a system for younger kids, i wouldn't reconmend either system. The games aren't there for the little ones. Besides, teh WII is a great way to get the kids to exercise while playing games...can't do that with the other two.

If you're a hardcore gamer...you would have both systems lol. but if you had to choose one...usualy, most gamers would go box...right now.

Who knows what will happen when writers figure out the pS3...or the ps3 will go in the way of dreamcast....

Hard to beat the PS3 for the "multi media center" purpose.

Yeah...i worked in retail -_-

I've always been a Playstation guy. I'll play 360 here and there with a friend but just can't get over the bulky tactile feel of the controllers. I like how PS3 stuck with there controller design because without it I would have probably switched to Micro$oft. Development has been a tough task for developers and programmers because the PS3 is such a new and different platform. These issues have since been resolved and publishers can now utilize the PS3 to it's fullest potential. As others have said, the multimedia capability with the PS3 is incredible. A few examples. I can access all of my multimedia content from my home computer's server on my ps3. This allows me to play endless amounts of music, movies and photos all from the comfort of my living room couch. Or, if you own a PSP you can use the PSP as a wireless remote to turn on and access your ps3's multimedia content from anywhere with a wireless connection. I was in Iowa recently for business. I was able to turn on my ps3 from iowa with my PSP and watch a movie while waiting at the airport. Simply excellent.

I just think the biggest mistake for Microsoft was to embrace HD-dvds....man if the box was Blu-rayed...^_^

there really hasn't been a "must play" game for ps3 unfortunly to push the console for gamers.

"I can access all of my multimedia content from my home computer's server on my ps3. This allows me to play endless amounts of music, movies and photos all from the comfort of my living room couch."

just a heads up for that, you can do everything stated above with an xbox as well. I too prefer the xbox controller over the ps3, and i used to always be a playstation guy. plus the ps3 game selection is not what ps3 is, and i just got the netflix which is awesome. ive been watching the office everynight thru the box for the last 2 weeks, and it plays it in hd.

I also have an original xbox and a 360. Like DTRO, I started with xbox because of Halo. I don't like the $60 per year for live, but it works pretty well.

I think if you are going to play on line a lot you should consider what your friends have. My brothers have xbox and we used to chat for free while playing a few games. One of the funnest games we used to play together is "Pro Fishing Challenge". It is actually a good fishing game. Pretty funny. We would fish next to each other and just laugh while catching huge fish.

I have not played the PS3 so I can't comment on that but I hear great things about it.

Happy gaming!

One of the funnest games we used to play together is "Pro Fishing Challenge"

I can't tell you how much fun I had with this game. I can't believe they haven't made it backwards compatible. frown

I actually went out and bought another console/game/fishing controller so that my wife and I could play at the same time online.

Man that was fun.

It actually was a decent accomplishment to get a fancy Bass Boat and it was a huge advantage while playing online. Well my wife won a couple of tourneys and was able to get one so she hopped online while I was playing one day. She pulls up beside in a bikini and cowboy hat and I hear "whats up" in my headpiece grin. Then I hear another guy say, "was that a chick", and she says, "yeah and I got a bass boat". So she was cruising around the lake showing off her boat.

Oh it was so much fun.

Then you would hook into the "uncatchable" fish. smile