• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Polaris vs Honda

bigsandynorth1

I will say the Polaris twins hands down beat everyone else in at least one area: shaking the living heck out of your entire body. It's like riding an old harley sportster with the rigid mounted engine.

You must be too old or body not in shape as I've spent 12+ straight hours on my machine in a single day and have never noticed what you are talking about. The newer models have an aluminum heat shield by the exhaust that makes a rattling nose but nothing that coused the machines to "shake".

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Caleb S wrote: I have only owned one Polaris but know a lot of others that have owned them as well. The problems were not limited to my machine

I've had the same expieriences as you with alot of other popo breakdowns, and the one that I owned was a P.O.S. also. You will never convince the popo die hards on here of anything other than it was "rider" abuse, a lemon,there are more popo's out there to break down,..... The excuses go on and on.

Roofer, I own a Suzuki, and I would definately let a friend buy one, but go to no end to stop them from buying a popo!

To the OP, I was just paging through last weeks Outdoor News and there was an ad for a Sportsman 500 carb for $4,600 plus $170 setup fee. Not a bad price for a great machine. I have a Honda Rincon, and have always enjoyed Honda's due to their reliability and simplistic design as well as their ergo's. That said, if I couldn't have a Honda I would definitely be on a Sportsman 500 X2. My ol man has had a 500 and 800 X2 and those things are hard to beat for almost all purposes. All of his Polaris' have been perfectly reliable, but as with any machine you need to keep up with maintenance. The 500 Polaris is about the best all around value on the market.

Have not yet riden the 850 but that thing has to be something special. My 800 will pull the front end up like nothing there is so much power ,and then let off the gas , drop the front end , and the suspension eats it right up, just smooth. Im not kidding, I weigh 310 lbs and have riddin honda , kaw, yam, and cats but nothing can pull me around like a polaris. Im not telling you to buy what I like , I have been in your shoes years ago and driven this learning curve, ended up on polaris . As for someone saying they shake? I have no clue, maybe should have taken it back to the dealer? Never heard that before. As for comfort, adjust your shocks. I aways felt you sit to far foward and the handle bars were to narrow on the AC. IMO.

ThunderCat 950cc V-twin, most powerful ATV ever built.

If you want Power, this is the Horse to Ride!

Not the most powerful. HP wise on paper it is #3 behind the 850 and CanAm 800R. Only seen a few of them. I think it was a big disappointment for how big the engine is, how much R&D into it, and how much it costs. It would be my last choice for any of the big bores.

Get the 500 Polaris... I have a friend with over 9,000 miles on a 1999. He weighs 360+ lbs. and uses it daily. He had to replace the clutch this year on the motor. This is the ONLY thing that has ever been done to it (other than tires) It still doesn't burn oil. I ran Hondas for years and still have 4 Honda cycles, but my wheelers are POLARIS. 700 Sportsman, and a 500 Scrambler HO. You can't go wrong...

I would say honda I guess. Ive never liked polaris atvs, for one the suspention is way to soft, if you ride 2 people on a sportsman the thing is bottomed out, and I hate the reliability of them I have buddies who have a 500, a 600 and a 700 and I seen motor mounts broken they over heat, they have no power and they just seem way to heavy.

IMO a polaris ant worth the trouble.

If you can afford it go with a 650 brute force and you got yourself something LOL

Chef, any of your after market has them, I like Dennis Kirk. They ship fast, and they say "when you want it now" As far as Polaris being heavy? Ya so what, that means more traction. 2nd No Power? Its funny that such a HEAVY machine can smoke the tires.

well if i where buying a used wheeler and it had to be between a honda and a polaris. I would get the honda. The reasons are simple, the hondas are pretty much bulletproof and are never in the shop.

i dont like either but i would have to steer honda on this one.

These arguments always make me laugh. Just like any other big ticket item you would purchase, make a priority list of what is most important to you, go check out the different brands and drive them if you can, then base your decision on first hand experience with each. Reputations (good or bad) are often deserved, but frequently taken too far as well.

Good luck with your decision and enjoy the new toy!

Moon Motors in Monticello has a whole course to test drive them at

I have a Foreman and I really like it. It is a 2003 and it doesn't have the independent suspension. Let me tell you that thing is a work horse. I would not buy another brand also just because Im a Honda guy

Funny. Neg polaris input from people that dont own one.

Snake rear king you are full of it!

Suspen soft, 125lbs on front rack 300lbs driver 140lbs pass and 200lbs of corn on rear rack and never broken it yet.

Motor mount? NEVER heard of that.

No power, Please explain after you dig your head out!

Neg polaris input from people that dont own one

I owned one....ONE That was enough for me! Their suspension is soft= nice ride, but if you put any amount of weight over the back end of them (IRS) you just about bottom them out.Power wise their 700 and the 800 are not as powerful as other's in their class. The new 850 looks like a impressive machine, but it just came out so time will tell.

As for the motor mounts... [Note from admin: Please read forum policy before posting again. Thank you.] Oops, they took my link away to show others that have had bad motor mount issues on popo's.