Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wastewaterguru

Astronomical "Smiley Face"

16 posts in this topic

In the last week in November as many of you probably noticed......the two brightest planets, Venus and Jupiter, have been gradually getting closer together in the southwest evening sky.

In case anyone wants to know......the two will be the closest together tonight, with Venus lying about 2 degrees to the South (left) of Jupiter. On the same night the Crescent Moon will appear just beneath them, forming a “Smiley Face”. The proximity of these objects in the night sky will not occur again until the year 2036.

Just thought you would all appreciate the info so you can appear smarter when you know that Venus (the brighter one right now) is on the left, jupiter on the right.

Am I wrong in thinking the moon will be above and east of the planets thus creating an upside down frowning face? You probably have a better grasp of what is going on than I do. It'sjust that my chart shows it that way but I'm not into it too much. Still pretty cool no matter.

Through a telescope they will be a smiley face.And abit of interjection Jupitor is the largest planet Venus is one of the smallest but brightest.

Anyone using a telescope to view this happening?

By the way how did this Appear in openwater forum?

Seems I'm moved or deleted often by not posting in a appropirate forum??

By the way how did this Appear in openwater forum?

Seems I'm moved or deleted often by not posting in a appropirate forum??

The moderator is out fishing?

Ok, I just stepped outside and I can see Venus. I know Jupiter is nearby. But the moon is to the left and slightly above the planets which makes a frown tome. I'm one of those glass half empty guys, I guess. Will the moon bypass the planets before setting thus making a smiley face?

The moon should pass between the planets on its way to setting. Then the smiley face.Or close to between maybe off center abit,depending where your located

We were out fishing last night and saw it, pretty cool. Not sure what we were looking at until we watched the news and found out it was Venus and Jupiter.

Agreed, Wastewater. I've been enjoying the planets the whole last week and the moon sitting there last night capped off a really cool scene.

Cloudy here tonight so I can't see it. To bad too, it's suppose to be at it's brightest tonight.

Was an awesome sight. Love looking up at night.

ole