• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

HD Receiver question

Sandmannd

Question

Just got a HDTV and want to get HD programming. I have Directv now but they want $200 to upgrade me to an HD DVR. I think that's rediculous. I was thinking of talking to them to see if they will replace it at little to no cost and if not going to the triple at Comcast. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

So I called Directv to cancel today. They said they would pro rate me so I would save $120 over a year to compensate for the reciever. I told them I talked to them for two weeks about it and was never offered that so to wait till I call to cancel is poor customer service. Then she said they would also give me an imediate $75 credit to stay so the reciever would cost me $5. Again, I said poor service to wait till I was cancelling and they were too late. She said they were going to send a box out to ship my receivers, remotes and cards back. I told her I bought thoses. She says nope, you lease them. I then asked if I was leasing them why they would charge me for the new receiver if the old was going in the tank. She said it's because I didn't pay the $5/month service fee. I said "You guys are AWESOME!!" get the service cancelled will ya. So I'm done with dish and with cable now and the picture is awesome as I said above.

Shane

your very welcome, and thanks for the Jerky, sorry bout the box mess up, dont know what happened. If you have any quetsions, issues give me a haller. Im sure we will see each other out on the ice/open water one of these days.

Shawn

Ok, yesterday I called directv talked to them-threatened to quit-no help. Went online to Comcast, walked through the order process-talked to the person online to get final numbers before I ordered-even got them in writing. Said, I would have to do the math on the loss I was taking by leaving directv early and I would get back to them today(now yesterday). Called directv to cancel-they offered me a dvr for 139.00-turned them down and canceled. Went back online to order Comcast-price for the added receivers were different, so call them while online-they said need to talk to the "online" help people, so I do. They will not give me the price I was quoted the night before-even after I told them I have it in writing!! So, after about an hour online, I told them "screwed by directv-screwed by Comcast and ended the on-line chat". She did tell me she will put in a note about our call and I should call the 800 number. So, now my directv service is going to be canceled next week and I don't have a new service lined up. My bill would have been about 20.00 more per month than what I was quoted!! All these cable and satellite outfits are crooks!!!!!

wala, I've been a cable/ sat tech for too long i would suggest sticking with direct tv once you get a hold of the right person everything will wash out. Ask to leave a message for the president! Direct tv lets notes/messages escalate up to the president and I've never heard of his staff him not fixing it. If it escalates that high and its on a techs back the contractor is instantly fined 1500 and the tech is basically fired. if you have a tech issue with comcast or direct tv send me a pm and i can help you get it fixed.

mopho, don't really want to leave them, however, a 24 month lease on a hd receiver that I have to buy for 200.00 or 139.00 after the offer, just doesn't sit right with me. I will never do a 24 month lease and only have the price guarantee for 12 months. The contract said "12 month price guarantee on an 18 month contract". However, the hd service is a 24 month contract-go figure???? I just wish that they would have saved the original phone conversation when the person told me that I could do a 12 month contract. I asked-but as anyone would guess, they don't have record of it. Sandman, might have to get hold of him.

I just cut and pasted my 2 "on-line" conversations and sent them to Rick Germano, Senior Vice President of Customer Operations. I'll see how that works. Hopefully, the pricing I was quoted will be honored. These folks are worse than dealing with car salesman:). Just kidding-I enjoy that game!

Check their web site and see what they are offering for new accounts, that's the best you will get. Also check out the competition. You have to threaten to leave and be ready to do so.
just went through that with dish network. "new" customers get the hd dvr, dual tuner for free. they wanted $150-200 from me. I called and requested to cancel my service as directv was willing to give me the same equipment for free. I told them how I don't like their customer service and I've been a loyal customer for 8 years. they transferred me to someone else and they got me set up with the new equipment for free. you just have to talk to the right person!

It's getting laughable. Got a call from a comcast person today. She had all my info, so she could address my concerns. Well started off good, she said she could get me the 1.99 price on each receiver----but after starting to enter the order, she realized that she entered the wrong package and the cost of each receiver had to be 6.95 each. So were back to where we started, not so fast. She went on to tell me that an additional fee of 15.95 per receiver to hook them up. I said what was the "installation special of 19.95 for and she said it was just to hook up the cable-not the receivers. Funny, none of the other salespeople mentioned that fee. This company is a joke. Might have to suck it up and call directv and ask for the special they offered me. Thats really gonna hurt.

The issue with comcast is a true nickel and dime event on everything! with time warner I credited people 3-4 months service when there was severe issues with an atta boy from my boss and always a smile and thumbs up from the customer, as soon as comcast took over I couldn't refund/credit jack.( not even even the 30 fee they charge for service changes)

All in all direct tv has more hd, better service ( contracted mostly) and is cheaper( with dvr's) I sat there and did the math. also the comcast dvr software very very poor..

Thanks Shane and JW!!

I try, I take pride in my work and like to think that I can offer something of a reasonable offer as much as i can, being tha ive been doing this type of work for 8 years. I will always do my best at getting whats the best out there for you and if your schedule and mine match up, what a better way to meet an Fellow FMer!

Bill-

I sent ya a responce back!

ShawnnyB

BTW Shane I sent ya an email about rods...

Thank you Guys! I try my darndest to make sure everything is up to spec when im there nad to make sure that your not going to have an issue, now if only i can make sure that the other guys out there are doing there stuff 100% of the time ....

Thanks again!