• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

HD Receiver question

Sandmannd

Question

Just got a HDTV and want to get HD programming. I have Directv now but they want $200 to upgrade me to an HD DVR. I think that's rediculous. I was thinking of talking to them to see if they will replace it at little to no cost and if not going to the triple at Comcast. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Just as a little side note, I’m a Comcast subscriber and have been for quite some time. I did exactly that (threatened to switch to Dish because of high prices and recent price increase). I was promptly offered the promo price for the next six months, then asked for the same deal on my internet.

Yep done.

In all I saved $300 for the next 6 months with a simple phone call.

We upgraded (2) DVR's in the house to HD, we're with Dish Network.

It was $261, $200 for the second HD dual tuner DVR, $61 for the tech to come out and hook it up.

Dish Network is changing their satellites around, so we needed a new dish to the south east, instead of the south west.

That's what I don't get LM, why should you have to pay for the tech when they changed their sat around? That cheeses me about satellite companyies. I like their product better, but I hate the fact that they want you to pay for the up keep.

I am ready to leave if they don't do better for me.

You can get free HD right now over the air. I currently have HD through Directv. I spent 200, and 300 on my hd and dvr recievers 2 years ago. My contract is up, and now they want the recievers back. Now that is a scam! I am switching to Dish Network and the recievers are free for HD DVR's from what I can tell all I have to pay is like a $50 installation for the dual room reciever.

I picked up a HD receiver from someone off this site this fall for free. THen when i called to activate it, Directv charged me $20 just for a new card.

In all fairness, $200 bucks for you to upgrade with a totally new HD DVR receiver is not that bad. I thought they were a lot more than that if purchased in the stores. a couple years ago they were like over $400 if i'm not mistaken. They already gave you the original box for free (plus the rental charge per month). They only charge $10 for the HD service...if they gave away the HD boxes they would have to charge $40 a month for the HD service to make it work. It makes more sense to pay the $200 up front and a lower monthly.

I still think the rates are too high, but of course it isn't cheap to launch sattelites either. just my opinion.

You can get free HD right now over the air. I currently have HD through Directv. I spent 200, and 300 on my hd and dvr recievers 2 years ago. My contract is up, and now they want the recievers back. Now that is a scam! I am switching to Dish Network and the recievers are free for HD DVR's from what I can tell all I have to pay is like a $50 installation for the dual room reciever.

HUH?... are you sure you don't have the 2 confused?

Dishnetwork and their independent contractor/dealers are notorious for leasing there less then stellar equipmentt to customers. Frankly I have never heard of any Direct Tv equipment being leased.

If it makes you guys feel any better I paid $699 for my first HD TV Tivo.

Shane Call Direct TV's customer retention center and tell them your concerns.... although $200 is a steal for an HD DVR they may be able to work something out for you.

Don't get me going on ComCrap!... pay less now and out your ARSE later!...LOL

It's not all peaches and Cream thats for sure Ralph.

The key will be your installer and his skills. You are going to want to be there ever step of the way.

Direct TV installers are generally pretty good but there are few hacks mixed in.

One bit of advice if you can locate the Dish in a somewhat accessible place that will be helpful during the wet snow times which can effect your signal.

Any problems after the install get a hold of me I have all the installer equipment needed to fix things or expand.

My neighbor is the Dish Tech.

I looked back on our bill and I was mistaken. We didn't pay for the dish, we paid for the amount of wire it took to put the dish where I wanted it.

There was a closer place, but I didn't really want the dish there, for reasons too long to post here.

If you have Dish, just make sure you can plug it into a local phone line. You'll pay an extra $5 per month if you can't.

It's another way they're getting charges to those that have receivers at cabins or in shops.

Yes, I bought my HD DVR from Directv 2 years ago. for $299 and my SD DVR for $99 at the same time. My 2 year contract is up and they want me to send in my equipment. IMHO what the heck did I pay $400 upfront for? I am not confused. Though both Directv and Dishnetwork are both way better than any cable company. I have been very disatisfied with directv's dis honestly. Why am I leaving Directv you might be asking... Last season I had the NFL package and since not watching it much. I called back in March telling them to cancel it for this season. Take it off my account so it doesn't start back up in July. They said they did. Lately my bill has been double normal and I called them to figure it out. They said for NFL Sunday ticket. I told them that I called back in March to cancel. And because they have no record they refuse to refund my money. After being a loyal customer for 7 years I was out raged. They said in so many words it was impossible for one of the operators that I talked to ever actually talked to me. It was my fault and I would have to pay anyways.

Shane you really should get a hold of the customer retention people at Direct TV. I was able to get my HD DVR for 99.00. I paid 200 up front and then they took 50 off the next 2 bills. You might have to be on the phone for a while and talk to a few different people. Be prepared to quit them if they don't give in and try to call in the day time so it can be escalated to somebody that can do something. The DVR is Ok but they need to fix a few things but for the most part it is good.

I'm going through the same thing. Can't believe you have to buy the hd dvr for 200.00 and you don't even own it-you have to return it to Directv after your contract. I have over a year left on my contract, so I don't think I have too much leverage to negotiate with them. I haven't pulled the plug yet because of this.

My problem is this then. If you are leasing and have to return them after you quit the service, then they should replace the broken ones for free and they don't do that. I'm going to call in today if I have some time.

Sand, Email me and we can talk, I work for Comcast, let me look at what side of town you live in and I will let you know whats going on over there and see what we can do with the new HD packaging.

sbachman @ Warpdrive online com

Make sure to remove spaces and add the "dot"

Shawn

I wish i had more time.

Shane you can BUY the HD DVR if you want but you will be paying more....if you lease it you will be pay much less...if you every leave Direct TV you give them the Reciever back which would be useless to you anyway...K?

You DON'T need a phone line and it doesn't cost any more if you don't use a phone line.

Call customer retention for any and all problems with Direct TV!

I'll be back...lol.

It's done, Shawn came out today and hooked me up with the HD DVR's. WOW, what a picture, that's all I can say. It's simply awesome. Even the wife notices the difference now.

Thanks Shawn, we need to get out fishing sometime now.