• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Recommendations for easily portable spear house?

thatoneguy

bassNspear - is your canvas craft a suitcase style, or is it a sheet of plywood. i am trying to decide between the shappell 6000, which has the darkest interior of the hub style houses, and the canvas craft 4x8. i want durability, but i need portability. i dont care about the weight, i just need something i can fit into my buick century. thanks for the help!

ok bass, scratch my question - i found your pictures, and this is the house for me!! should have it by next week. i even have some nice royal blue carpet leftover from my living room carpet job, so i will be in a luxury house!! i will put some pics up when i have it all together...thanks for your posts and pics!

It for sure is dark enough. Mine is the original green color and the canvas is pretty heavy. It is plenty dark enough as long as you keep the windows closed and be sure to bank the house up a little bit. I have definetly speared out of a darker house but it gets the job done.

Hey, Bassandspear, what model would you recommend? I am looking for a portable spearhouse and will likely have two people in it at times, but would like it to be light enough so I can go myself and not give myself a hernia. thanks.

hey everyone im just getting into spearing. this was my first winter out. and i had some luck this past week. spearing my first northern. every winter im laid off of work and next winter i wanna do even more spearing. i was reading a blog on here about Canvas Craft and was just wondering how it is spearing out of a portable fish house is? and the type of house im asking about is the flip house not the like the quick fish.

LUKE

Welcome to Fm. Glad you are part of the family. Also, glad to see your out spearing as well.

I myself use a Northlander by Canvas Craft. As most of the guys here know, the space and the way they are built, it top notch. They are built solid and will last a long time. They stay warm, and the canvas is very dark, so you are going to be able to see very easy as well.

Hope this helps!

i use a 4 by 6 collapsable that works well for me. put 2 holes in it. its probably not as light as bns house but an old gut like me can handle it ok. only issue you may have is you need a trialer or truck to haul it. i like it.

so thanks for all the help for a portable spear house. but i have a couple more questions. i see pike hunter you used marine carpet where do you get that and is there anything else to use for putting on the ice. what kind of heater do you guys use a little buddy heater or a sunflower?

I also spear from a Quikfish III.

I put floor mats from menard's to cover up some of the ice. I have one that is probably 3' x 4' and 2 that are about 18" x 32". I remember getting them on sale and probably paid $12 for all 3. The rest of the ice is covered up by the big cooler that I sit on or misc stuff like my lunch box and the decoy bucket.

I used a big buddy heater this year. Seem's about perfect.

The reg buddy doesn't quite kick out enough heat on really cold days. That's what I used last year. On really cold days I would break out my old sunflower heater.

I also spear out of a QuickFish 3 and think it's great. I used to have a Northlander by Canvas Craft that I also liked. The reason for my switch was due to the weight and take down size of the QF 3. Northlanders are great if you are driving on the ice, but very few of the lakes I spear are road accessible, and the Northlander was just too bulky and heavy.

In my QF 3, I shovel a couple inches of snow on the floor to help block light, I think some floor mats would work good, I just don't want to haul them. One thing I think might work good for the floor is those interlocking exercise mats. Some of them are neoprene so they would be light weight and wouldn't absorb water. For heat I use a Big Buddy heater and bank snow onto the skirt of the QF 3. I have been out in -30F with no problems. The only trouble I've had w/ my QF 3 is two of the windows cracked, but it was -30F so I can't complain too much. Just my $.02.

I use a sunflower heater, mrheater/cooker. I used 6x4 black marine carpet from menards $11, its durable, cheap and blackens the heck out of my qf3, and it peels off the ice nicely. Check out outdoor carpet at lowe's, home depot, fleet farm, and menards they all should have it or a simular product.

One of my vinyl windows blew out too.

I had black canvas windows made to replace the clear vinyl ones. They help to keep a little more light out. I had a set of four made, but figured out that it is nice to leave the clear vinyl in one window for when you want some light.