• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Recommendations for easily portable spear house?

thatoneguy

I looked at the Quickfish online, and if the anchors work as well as people say, it should make a nice, light portable spear shack. Like Spearhead, I like to work some smaller, less-accessible lakes in addition to the big water, and the Quickfish just might fit the bill! Thanks for everyone's input. I'll post photos (and maybe video, if I remember to bring the videocam) once I get everything set up smile

I used my quickfish for the first time this past weekend for spearing. And it was great more than dark enough. ( i have the green one dont know how dark the new red ones are) It was a little hard to get it setup in the wind on sun. morning but once the anchors are in it wont go anywhere.

I also use a Quikfish III for spearing and it works well.

One tip is to use black floor mats to cover the ice. They make the house even darker and a little warmer. I got some cheap ones on sale at Menard's last year.

BnS has a Canvas Craft house. That's a really nice house. Warmer and more comfortable than a Quikfish, but also heavier. Nice when you can drive to your spot.

There is no doubt in my mine that Canvas Craft builds the best spearing portables out there on the market today. yes they are a bit heavier, but the space and construction of there product is unmatched when it comes to a spear house. If you haev any questions please contact me. i will get some photos up when i get back home!

I use to be a big fan for the old Mankato houses but know there is no doubt that Canvas Craft makes the best portable/permeant spear house on the market. They way the are set up make is easy to have a few people in the house at a time. I really like there set up. I think the box style houses are the way to go, it makes i easier to setup decoys, cameras and also bring someone along.

Used my shappel 6000 today and it was really tough trying to set it up in the wind. The ice anchors that come with it did not seem to work, I could not get them in the ice. I used the ice block from the hole. The vent holes also need to be velcroed down as the flaps kept lifting in the wind and letting light in. Did manage to finally spear one, had my son with and he thought it was great. I am going to canvas craft for my next one (next week).

A friend and I have had great luck with our clams. We built a floor with plywood and some heavy walk off mat carpet. We cut the plywood in half and it folds up and fits in the sled. What is really nice about using the clam is I can put all my gear in the sled and pull it anywhere with out having to have a trailer. The chairs are also very comfortable.

I have a Eskimo Quick Fish II and I would like to spear from it but how big of a hole should I cut what should I lay on the ice infront of the door and how do you cover up your hole when your done?? I wouldn't be able to leave the house out thier.

I spear from my otter. I don't put anything on the ice, but I'm going to get a piece of carpet for it. I bring a branch along from home or the landing and stick that in the hole ensuring it stands up when I am done. I also push the block back in the hole. I cut a 2'x3' hole usually. Attaching the decoys and spear rope can be a little tricky, but a little customization can help with that. The nice thing about it is that you can be so portable.