• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Reccommended Cabelas boots?

SP180

I retired my old Mickey Boots after many years of use, they served me well...but heavy....especially in a size 13.

I had time to consider my new replacement boots and the one boot that came back to me time after time as the best ice fishing boot was the Cabela's Tran's Alaskan III boot.

Reviews are all very positive, feedback from fellow guides who have had them in use for a while all love them...so that is what I went for and they are great.

Lightweight considering the size, extra thick soles was a huge selling point for me as keeping that distance off the ice is key when still fishing. Gor-Tex so they dry quickly, multi layered insulation, and they also can support chemical heat packs (AKA foot warmers). Rated to -130.

They run about $170 and worth every penny as I see it, and more.

Along with any good boots I also highly recommend a good boot dryer system. The best I have seen and used is the PEET Advantage system. Dry multiple pairs of boots, gloves, helmets, or combination's of each. A smart system that also has ion neutralizer technology to keep your boots fresh and not stink up the nest. A great present for that sportsman/woman who has everything.

Socks, Smart Wool brand makes excellent socks. I like the Smart Wool Hunting System socks for cold weather use as it has a thin durable base layer sock that keeps moisture away from your skin and allows the primary insulation sock to wick it away and dry.

I have the Cabelas Saskatchewan Pac boots. I think they were the same $170 range and their are very warm and comfortable. They are a soft gaiter-type top so they are easy to walk and squat down in. Liners are removeable for easy drying and instead of laces there is a set of drawstrings. Much easier to do and you can tighten your boots with gloves on.

I always think that it is strange that people would ask for advice on a warm boot and not tell you what they want to do while wearing the boot. If I was going ice fishing in a shack I might very well get by with shoes with no insulation. If I was going to running and gunning for panfish were I might not sit in one spot for more then 10-15 min. and had my Otter lodge a boot with 1200gm of thinsulate would work. If I was going to fish outside and sit tight on a spot with temps ranging from 10 to -10 I would want Ice Kings or Micky boots. The polar boots sound tempting because of the weight and warmth it is just the price that slows me down. I have had frost bite in both my feet as a kid so I could be wearing a t-shirt and get cold feet on the right day. What I am trying to say is that everyone's body is different so what works great for one guy can be totally worthless to the next so you have to gauge by the recommendations that they have on the boots as to what temp range they are for and how it applies to your feet and personal comfort.

Cabela's Inferno's

2000 grams,not bulky and very lightweight, I think less than 6lbs. I walk miles getting to my favorite spot and they are nice and light. This year in the deer stand during our wonderful 15 - 20 degree days my feet didn't bother me at all. I used to wear Lacross Icemans and it is a night and day difference.

Cabela's Predator Extreme. Right now they are listed at $139.99. I bought a pair on sale last year for $119.99, so maybe they will go on sale for that price again. They are worth every penny.

They have 1,200 grams of Thinsulate, a 9mm Texel liner and a Dry-Plus membrane. The combination of Thinsulate and the Texel liner make these boots toasty. If I put these boots on in the house I feel my feet getting hot instantly. I fished on the ice with these boots last year in some fairly harsh conditions (well below zero with a nasty wind). I wore a liner sock and a thick sock. My feet not only never got cold but they stayed very warm. The boots have a heat pack pocket but I would doubt you would ever have to use it.

If you bought a pair of these you definitely wouldn't be dissapointed.

I have a pair of Mickey boots but I find that I'm hesitant to use them because they are so difficult to get on over a heavy sock. Anyone have any tricks for combating this frustrating event...maybe baby powder or something. Or maybe they're just too small- I always thought they were supposed to fit tight.

I have a pair of Mickey boots but I find that I'm hesitant to use them because they are so difficult to get on over a heavy sock. Anyone have any tricks for combating this frustrating event...maybe baby powder or something. Or maybe they're just too small- I always thought they were supposed to fit tight.

The M-1 ECTB boot system (AKA Mickey) is not designed for a heavy sock. The system is issued with a light to med weight merino wool sock. You will stay warmer with more room to move your toes. A thin base sock and a merino wool over sock will serve you well and not over stuff the boot and crowd your feet. A course weave Norwegian wool sock works well too and has less bulk.

Buying 1 size larger than you wear in a street shoe is wise.

866a3d973e6a27fb4f2ecab971610da4.image.1

The best source on line for unissued / unused surplus authentic M-1 ECTB's in the widest range of sizes is Coleman's Military Surplus. The white severe cold model will run about $89.