Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fishon68

When to set the hook ????

12 posts in this topic

Last winter when bobber fishing for walleyes they would take it down slow, maybe 3 or 4 inches then stop and stay there sometimes for 30-40 seconds then take down some more and maybe stop again, then run with it, at that time i set the hook but i missed probably 1/2 the time, other times i would set the hook as soon as it went down and missed more often than not, whats the best way, usually fishing with a shiner.

Use a lighter rod and get rid of the bobber. I went to jigging and staring at the Marcum when it happened to me. wink

My advice would be to not just grab the rod and set the hook. Pick up the rod and hold the line with your finger as you raise the rod tip slowly, if you feel weight there then slam em.

I set the hook when its down the hole and out of site. I like to have a ballhead jig with the minnow hooked thru the lips. I have a couple of question for you and that is how far off the bottom ? Where do you hook your minnow ? Plain hook or a jig ? To me it all makes a difference as to when I will set the hook. You could always use a circle hook and give him a minute or 2.

When the bobber is down and stops the walleye is turning the bait, when they go again I set the hook!

Usually using a gem-n-eye or something similar, minnow hooked in the back, and a foot off the bottom.

I dont normally use a bobber, but when I do, If the bobber is down, I will se the hook. The longer you wait, the longer they have to realize there is something wrong.. AND, the better chance of a gut hook.

i wait till the bobber is gone, i do the same with crappies someitmes to ive been pretty safe with that

I usually wait until the bobber is under the ice, then tighten up the line my reeling down to the hole and set the hook.

I wait till the bobber is down. Lift slowly on the rod and see if you feel them. When you feel a tap, set the hook but don't set it like you are shark fishing.

When the hook is in the fishes mouth. grin Actually I usually try to hit when on the way down. If the bobber stops or starts to move up I wait until it is going down again before setting the hook.