• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

best combo for me and how much $

FLnick87

lookin to get a new setup for next season. Im a small little bugger (5'5") im currently using just a 6'3" rod but thinkin of getting a 7 footer. considered longer but dont know if that will be too much. medium heavy action? mainly throw spinners and buck tails, showgirls etc...not big on DCG's because they tucker me out...any suggestions

7 foot MH should be no problem for you to handle. I have one (Compre) that handles most bucktails pretty well (up to double 8's). Other baits it varies, it's good for all my topwaters, jerkbaits can be a little work at times, and cranks castability varies widely depending on the lure. Not to spendy either, paired with a 6501 (I prefer the left hand retrieve) it set me back about 2 bills after tax. I don't like spending a whole lot, for $300 dollars the fish should jump in the boat when I stick the tip in the water wink No way I'm putting that into a rod when the cheaper ones do the job quite well.

I'd recommend an 8 foot heavy Shimano Compre for the $100 price range. It'll throw the smaller stuff well and you can go a little bigger for other lures if needed. Lifetime warranty too.

I'm a fan of the Shimano Curado 300 reels, that paired with the above rod is a very versatile setup, except when it gets below freezing...

I've got some rods that were closer to the $300 mark, I think they are worth every penny. They really take the work out of a long day of fishing. Shimano Calcutta Inshore casting rods in 7.5 to 8 foot lengths are my go to setup for everything except really big stuff.

Next year i'm looking into the Telescoping stuff a little bit, storing easily would be nice for bigger rods.

7 Footer at a minimum. My son is 8 and he throws a 5600 on a 6'10" pole and has no trouble at all with it. He throws everything from topwaters to bucktails to jerkbaits.

I would say go with what you feel the most comfortable with. Go to the shops and hold all the different rod makes and lengths and see what you like the best. The longer the rod, the easier it is going to be to throw the larger bucktails and the added value you get is in doing your figure eights/zeros at boatside. Enables you to make a bigger eight/zero, and that is crucial with bigger fish. I personally like the 8 foot St Croix that I have, but am going to also buy an 8 foot Gander Series in the extra heavy. Good quality rods for the price, and if you break them, Gander will replace it without questions. I still use shorter rods for my jerkbaits. Either a 7 footer or a 6'9" extra heavy, but that is my personal preference. Best advice is just go with what you are most comfortable with.

As for reels........I can't really give you much there. Alot depends on the money you want to spend, how you hold the reel and how big your hands are. Example, small handed guys don't really like the Garcia 7000's because they are big and harder to palm if that is how you hold your reels. I am a Garcia fan through and through and they are the only reels that I have. They hold up well (for me) and I have a couple of reels that are nearing 20 years old. One is almost 30 yrs old. If you can afford it, look into the Luna or Calcutta. Very smooth reels and are great, but come with a price tag as well.

Compre, Gander Mountain, BPS Pete Maina Combos are all good rod values.

Shimano Corvalus and Curado are also good value recommendations for reels like J said.

Bret you'll like the GM rod you're getting, very good rod for the price, I'll be getting another next year.

I'd recommend an 8 foot heavy Shimano Compre for the $100 price range. It'll throw the smaller stuff well and you can go a little bigger for other lures if needed. Lifetime warranty too.

I really like the 8' Heavy Compre I picked up this year. I'm 5'-7", 8 foot rod is really no big deal. The Heavy version of the Compre seams to work very well throwing most topwater, spinnerbaits, bucktails including the double 10s, etc. Would probably be good for the regular Bulldawgs as well, although I have an Xtra Heavy for the Mag Dawgs.

I am biased but St Croix's are awesome! Worth every penny in my mind. To be honest my first musky combo was a St Croix avid rod with a St Croix reel and both are still in great shape. That is after 3 years of use and most of that time it was my only musky rod. Now after getting my dad into musky fishing we have a Premier, Triumph, and recently got a Legent Elite and love all of them. We also have a culcutta 400, penn 975, and a abu garcia and have had good luck with those. Notice all the new gear after I got my dad involved!haha

Quote:
thanks for all the info. guess i might have to go feel a few out. Anything should be better than the 6'3" i got now but it does do the job. maybe I will try goin longer than 7 and a heavy action..

Good advice so far, and with the money you do get what you pay for but that can go up and up and up.... I agree with the Compre rods being a great value for a very good rod.

Here's my advice to you: Wait 'til next season starts and offer to buy lunch or snacks for someone with a few nice combos that'll let you hop in the boat with them for a couple hours and try a few out. Lots of good guys here that'll help you out. It's a great way to see what you like first-hand before buying. Then go out and buy what felt best and what fits the budget.

I wish I would have done so years back, would have saved me a lot of $$$ and upgrades.

Chris has plenty of good advices there... Wait til next season and few are bound to invite you along and show u the ropes...

I was shopping around for new rods to purchase... and I found that the Compres in 8'0 are hard to beat... but opted to go for Edge series...

I know I have couple rods thats under 7'6 that I dont use anymore... been meaning to use those for catfishing but never had the chance to go out on catfishing trip yet...

I have 2 8'6 Edges and a 9'0 Strike Reaction MH... I notice I used the 9'0 more than I did with either 8'6... I'm 6'0... and I find that the longer rods works better for me... wider figure 8's, longer casting, etc etc... and I have no problem with working topwaters or jerkbaits with a 9'0...

I purchased two Shimano Compres this fall, one Heavy and one Extra Heavy. Joe's Sporting Goods had great prices. As mentioned lifetime warranties on those rods at those price points can't be matched. I paid $109 before tax for each. The heavy loads up nicely for casting the average lures and bucktails. The XH works well with Cowgirls, especially in the figure 8, and the heavy stuff like MagDawgs.

Using these rods was such a delight. I had always used the Gander IM6 stuff in 6'-9" and 7' lengths and after using my new rods feel like I have been fishing inefficiently and putting way more strain on my body. I now fish in comfort and efficiently. At first you'll think these rods are too big but after you get used them you start wondering how you ever did it before.

GOOD LUCK

any 7'2'' Croix MH fast action, or a gander mtn 7'2'' MH IM8 muskie rod. or get one custom at thorne bros.. ask them what they suggest and when whoever gets done explaining (or them) you'll hand them the cash. for a reel. i'm biased. Calcutta 400 TE. nothing but for what you throw. and you just might (you will) find those DCG/SM types manageable. wink good luck

340, I have tried one and they are pretty sweet!

However, with the new line of rods for 09 they have a XH in premier that is 8'6 rated for 4-10oz baits, that would not be a bad option either.

the bait oz claims on most rods are irealivant(sp) I throw someheavy baits on my med hvy 7' 1oz-4oz scheels musky rod and it does just fine. I would think that you couls get a combo for 250-300 depends on the reel I use a 400 cardiff and that rod with 80pd PP and it costed me $240 I throw he11 hounds that are 6oz and its a work out but it works. I hope ya find a deal with this hardwater season in full swing good luck