• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

anyone still bowhunting?

Kyle

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hunted yesterday (Sunday) afternoon. Boy was it cold! BRRR!

I didn't see anything but did find some tracks in the snow. I know those tracks were made on Saturday or Sunday because, prior to Saturday, there was no snow on the ground (where I hunt).

If it had been any colder (it was about 10 degrees), I probably would have cancelled yesterdays hunt. How cold does it have to get before you guys stop hunting?

Nothing will keep me out of the woods. Getting out of the wind is the key and having good clothes. Between wool bibs and Arctic Shield boots, I'm ready for Musk Ox. grin

These darn Alberta clippers are becoming problematic. Soon as you start finding some good sign and locate a few spots, another one comes through and puts a blanket over everything. Hopefully after today we'll get some relief. Pretty soon I'll have to fire up the sled to get to the stand.

How cold?? Well the -20 windchill kept me out of the stand Sunday night. The good thing about bow hunting is that i don't sit in the stand that long....3 hrs max during late season.

It's frustrating though. I've got the spot, the deer just haven't gotten the memo of when to walk through yet. I'm going to have to try a morning sit next weekend I guess.

Good luck!

I was out on Sunday afternoon and saw a couple in the distance. Also saw a nice 10 point when I was out pheasant hunting, and I have permission to bowhunt there - that will give me some incentive for a few more hunts!!! Need a south wind...

Saturday night wasn't too bad as the wind died down. It was only 1 degree when I got back to the shack up by LOW. Didn't see anything but a bunch of wolf tracks on my way to the stand. My confidence was not too high. The wolves drove our woods Friday night, I could hear a howl before bed. I could see how they drove with the wind towards the powerline that cuts our land and could see tracks of other wolves waiting on the powerline for anything that comes out. It looked like a classic deer drive. Now if only the wolves stay in the zoo and leave my deer alone I maybe would have seen a deer on Saturday. smile

I was out on Sunday afternoon and saw a couple in the distance. Also saw a nice 10 point when I was out pheasant hunting, and I have permission to bowhunt there - that will give me some incentive for a few more hunts!!! Need a south wind...

Good luck with that South wind. Anyone look at the 10 day forcast? No warm ups in sight. High of -3 on Sunday? Yikes!

I was out sat. morning that wind was brutal! I heard a few in the brush but never saw any I only could sit till about 9:30 i was so cold. Sunday evening i saw 10 deer a few were spikes and forks but they wouldn't come into the clear they stuck in the red willows. Seeing deer seems to keep me warm i didn't even get the chills yesterday!

Nothing again tonight. Have yet to see a deer in December. frown

There were several tracks in the area after the snow from last night. Guess I need to get out one of these mornings for a try.

They should be starting to herd up for the winter now I would think. Same story here - saw some tracks but no deer when I was out in the woods. Too bad I have to work today, the sun later this AM will probably get em moving to food after the storm and cold last night.

I've been out the past 3 mornings without seeing a thing. Not even a squirrel, granted I only get about 45 minutes on stand before I have to leave for work. I've been secretly hoping for a red fox over a deer but I'll take anything at this point. It was 2 above this morning... beautiful sunrise though.

granted I only get about 45 minutes on stand before I have to leave for work.

Just out of curiosiy.... I always wondered what people in this position do if in fact they do get lucky and get one.

Do ya just call in sick? Come in late? Leave the deer until after work and then look for it?

I've pondered doing things like this, but I always wind up not due to the ethical battle I would have if I shot one.

Originally Posted By: sticknstring
granted I only get about 45 minutes on stand before I have to leave for work.

Just out of curiosiy.... I always wondered what people in this position do if in fact they do get lucky and get one.

Do ya just call in sick? Come in late? Leave the deer until after work and then look for it?

I've pondered doing things like this, but I always wind up not due to the ethical battle I would have if I shot one.

I do this kind of thing often, I'm lucky though. I'm self employed and my boss understands. grin

If I'm lucky enough to score, I just don't get to work in time. Customers can call me on my cell phone. I tell them I'm involved in a project outdoors and I'll get back to them ASAP.

Brule archery hunting, if you would be lucky enough to arrow a deer,its best to leave it.Personally I wait at least 1 hour then track it.If ya gotta go somewhere in cold weather no problem comming back that evening, then track it down.

Now if it was Sept.& warm, I'd cancel out any plans wait at least that hour,Then follow the deer.

I've field dressed deer in warm weather that some cant get near cause of the blood starting to spoil (STINKY)

I'm lucky in a few regards, first of which I'm hunting on private land close to work, and second of all, I have an understanding boss who bowhunts as well. Not to mention, tracking conditions and temps are perfect for leaving an animal for awhile. If I were lucky enough to get a shot, I'd just call in and say I'd be a little late. Unfortunately according to trail cam pics, the deer aren't moving during shooting hours so I don't have to worry about the what ifs.

You manipulated my post! It doesn't matter to me if I see anything or not, I just like to get out. Having a big flock of geese or a pileated nearby is enough to keep me out there. Something with 4 legs would be a nice bonus though. My standards increase on the weekends however when I have more time to scout.

I've done that morning bowhunt thing a few times before work right before gun season. I shot one on one of those hunts a couple of years ago. I even took time to rinse it out with the hose when I got home & I was still only half an hour late. I just called & said I'd shot a deer. I hit one a different time on one of those hunts, when I'd planned to come an hours late anyway. Unfortunately I'd hit it poorly & wound up being like 3 hours late, but they understood.

I scored tonight!

With only 3 hunting days left before I have knee surgery I wasn't gonna be too picky, especially since I have yet to see a deer since the gun season. About 4:30 two came into a 15 yard shooting lane of my Double Bull blind. A perfect double lung shot on a button buck and my metro bonus tag is finally full.

This is my first Minnesoata deer in about 10 years and my first December deer in probably longer than that.

Got him skun out tonight, guess I got some work to do tomorrow.