• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

anyone still bowhunting?

Kyle

Great information here. This is my first year bow hunting and hunting this late. I'm still making it out a couple times a week. I have found a lot of deer in the oak stands in my area (far from fields). Other then fields and acorns I'm not sure what else the feed on, still trying to figure that out.

We got a dusting of snow which was helpful in finding more deer and also let me know I jumped a deer around my stand while walking out. A little more snow would be great!

I'm hunting public land so I wear orange with small game hunters around. They have also helped with my scouting, since they have no problem letting you know where they saw deer.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

believe it or not this is one of the best times of the year to get a chance at a monster buck...if you can hang.

does that either didn't get bred or got bred but didn't get pregnant come back into estrous 28 days later...also the fawns will go into estrous around the same time.

its nothing like the first rut but it does happen..but you have to deal with the weather conditions, alert deer, and less deer...you'll see less deer but the ones you see could be real quality...aka the big smart ones that don't fall for the gun.

just limiting yourself to an hour or two at sunrise and sunset works but the more time you spend in the woods obviously you have more chances at a deer....mid morning/afternoon is a great time to be out there....not to mention the warmest part of the day for you cold babies lol.

bucks will still be searching for the very last does coming in and out of estrous it just won't be as extreme as before...they'll still be cruising around inbetween bedding and feeding areas....if you know where the doe's are feeding and sleeping you can get a good crack at a nice buck yet.

staging areas can be primo...like an oak flat or knowl before the main corn or bean field they are eating in just before or after dark....this time of year you'll normally see the doe's show up first for awhile then the buck that keeps his eye on them all day waiting for one to come into estrous.

so if your right on the edge of the field and your just seeing doe's i'd back off 50-100 yards on the trail they enter if you got them patterned or know where they normally come out.

decoys can be deadly late season with some estrous scent...the buck will see a doe and smell a doe that is ready for him and might be his last lover for a whole year lol...think he might come over and check that out?

holy cow! thats a huge buck...anyways yes i will be bowhunting, for the FIRST time this weekend probably grin...i got a bow for free(an older golden eagle evolution) from a guy i rifle hunt with for as he got a new matthews, finally took it out about over a month ago and have been shooting a ton, i finally confident in my ability to go out!!

Me and bearslayer were out Sunday afternoon and almost put the smack down on a couple does. Just didn't work out you know what I mean. But it was great to see some late season deer and gives us hope they're still a few around looking to get in my freezer. This ice fishing really makes it hard to decide which to do though.....always good to have choices wink!

I'm also going out in the morning to schoolcraft and we'll see how it goes, should be a good cold morning and afternoon to sit. The last couple of weeks I have only been seeing deer moving in the middle of the afternoon and at night. Good luck guys....