• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

anyone still bowhunting?

Kyle

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will be this year due to not seeing a darn deer during the last week of shotgun hunting around home, I will be hunting public land also where there are no said food sources, what type of areas should I key in on this late in the game so I don't end up eating another tag sandwhich?

I'm still hunting.

Food sources are your best bet but there is a secondary rut that'll take place in the next couple of weeks. Does that didn't get bred will come into heat again and I've been told that some fawns will come into heat this time of year.

I was out last wed. afternoon. Saw 3 but holy cow were they nervous. Nothing in range. I will be out again after muzzy hunting if I have any tags left. I love late season bow hunting in the snow....I hope we get some snow soon.....

I was actually warmer yesterday than I was when I was out gun hunting opening morning. I didn't get sweated up getting in to where I put my stand.

I would say the key is don't get sweated up walking in. Layers of clothes that trap the air without being to tight. Sometimes I think I try to add to many layers and then everything is to tight which doesn't allow for the warm layers of air. Putting a couple of warmers in strategic pockets help as well. You don't want to put them to close to your actually skin though or they will cause you to sweat and that is not good. I had a small 10 hour hand warmer in each of the side or cargo packets on my legs yesterday. Putting some in your fleece pockets can help as well since they will add to the warmth of the internal layers. I think the fact that the air is dryer now because it's been below freezing for a while also helps.

Ryan

How do ya'll manage to stay warm this time of year? Do you still sit all day or do you move around more?

I'm going to try to get out for some late season action, but I figure I'll freeze w/in 2 hours!

Got any tips to stay warm?

IMO this time of year a couple hours in the AM and a couple hours in the PM is all you need to be out. After the firearms seasons most deer will be seen at first and last light.

Definitely still at it. Just got back from a nice long weekend at the cabin. It was cold. I saw deer 2 out of 4 sits but had nothing within bow range. Heard very little for shooting as well. I probably won't make it up again until we get some good tracking snow. Being able to pattern their travel routes is a big advantage in punching a late-season tag.

As far staying warm, try the Arctic Shield boots. I finally caved and bought a pair and they do work! My feet always got cold after an hour in sub 20 temps but not anymore.

I've still got my buck tag so I'll probably get out some more. Especially with our food plot full of turnips getting more and more inviting to the deer this time of year and our neighborh seeing a 12ptr in his yard the other day. Although after last night's smackdown I put on the walleyes, it might be tough to decide! LOL

Brian

I bowhunted Thursday morning & Friday evening, both sits close to fields with food in them, then switched to the ML for Saturday morning. In the three outings I'm pretty sure I heard a deer jump in the cornfield about 30 yards away once, but I didn't see anything at all. I'm waiting for some snow so I can see some fresh sign. They were moving fairly decent in the evening about a week ago, but haven't seen much of late. I'm just judging that by the drive home from work every day.

As far as staying warm, I'd say I've probably never hunted more than two hours on a late season hunt. It's usually anywhere from an hour and a half to about 45 minutes. I pretty much strictly hunt the edges of fields where it's a last light thing & I can get in undetected. I can think of 5 post Thanksgiving deer I've killed (3 ML & 2 bow). 4 of them were evening & none of them were earlier than 4:30 - 4:45, most were in the last 15 minutes. I killed one on a morning hunt & that was probably around 8am or something it wasn't real early by any means, but it was far from mid morning. I honestly do not ever remember seeing a buck while on stand late season. I realize where I'm hunting has some to do with that, but I figure if I'm still hunting at that point of the season I'm more interested in shooting something, than getting a nice buck.

I think hunting the afternoons/evenings helps keep you in the stand this time of year. You start off warmer, the day is warmer, and you know exactly how late you can sit. I'm going to start tomorrow afternoon after the Thanksgiving and family imposed layoff. Here's to all the brethren and sistren out sitting in the woods! And what about the second rut? Do any of you take advantage of this?

I always like to get out late season, the woods are nice and quiet and you usually have them to yourself. Plus with a little scouting you can sometimes find yourself a nice late season buck. To stay warm I wear a lot of layers and use hand and toe warmers.

I've been going out the past few days. I have just been seeing small stuff fawns, not even does. I'm just waiting for the big guy to walk by. Its always fun to be out late season. It can be the coldest day of the year, your shaking, your cold and your almost spitting bad words, but the second you see a deer no matter how small it is you instantly warm up and are ready to go.

Got any tips to stay warm?

i wear two pairs of long underwear and two under armor shirts.

above that turtle neck longsleeve and a hoodie

jeans sweat pants and one piece coveralls... sounds like alot but its not to much to still be able to bull the bow back. i think the key is your first layers. thats the same thing i wear coyote hunting ... laying in the snow and it never fails.. i never get cold

Im gunna stay out till my tag is filled!...i've been goin out every day and seeing the same ones every day for about the past week...tonight i had two forkys fighting about 45 yards out but all of them were really skiddish so...hoping to get one by sunday

hey guys wondering if any of you hunt public land near st peter le seur near 169 99 22 23 any of those areas im looking at some areas i might want to hit granted its lottery but i just want to fill my tag before the year is over.

another dumb question do you have to wear ORANGE while MUZZLE LOADER IS GOING ON?

If you want to stay warm, stay away from all cotton. Cotton is not an insulator, infact cotton kills people every year because it wicks heat away from you when wet; not only that but cotton is never really that thick, and loses heat easily. Polyester, polyprops., and wool are the best things to keep you warm, even when wet. You'll have to wear only a few layers of these fabrics to be 3 times as warm as you would be if you were wearing cotton.