• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

hunter ediquette

just a heads up to all who are hunting(ice) a lake with someone else to keep the wakes down while by other hunters. hunted a very large lake today and had a very inconsiderate hunter bust a bunch of ice that he knew was going to crash into my decoys becuase of a wake. c'mon I even went out in the decoys pushing mt hands to the water trying to show him to slow down. the hunter looked at me and put his hands in the air like he was doing nothing wrong.

danz some guys just dont get it. I've had this happen also but at prime shooting time and all you can do is deal with it now a days. I know that this doesnt help but the way I see it he's not getting any birds either. yea poor way to look at it.

It's with all areas of the outdoors, way more inconsiderate people today and less room for the masses to roam. One day had a muskie lake to myself, rare indeed, 2nd boat out on the water that day, the first cast they made with a bulldawg on this 1,200 acre lake landed in my propellers, I run a tiller,transom troller. I simply cut his line and with it about a 25 dollar lure, I said if I cast into your boat or props feel free to do the same.

I'd have to agree with you guys on the number of inconsiderate people I've seen lately. This may sound dumb but I was out with another guy from the F-M board and we saw someone cripple a goose - it sailed a bit and ended up swiming into another groups set-up. We were both a bit surprised that they didn't finish the goose off for the guy. Instead they watched him end up chasing that bird all over the lake. Maybe not a huge deal, but if you ever sail a crippled bird within range of my fat arse I'll finish it off and have it waiting for you.

That rant aside, I was also impressed with some of the folks I bumped into at landings this year - right in the metro. Instead of just hightailing it out to spots a few guys actually had conversations with me, comparing notes on where to set up so that we didn't screw each other up. I guess my point is that while there are plenty of A-Holes there is also some hope...

Good to hear there are still a few kind souls out there.

I'm with you HugoBox, finish off cripples for other guys and hand them over. Did that a few years ago on early goose. Karma is like a merry go round my friends, it always comes back around.

I have only been able to get one guy to talk with me in the morning at the landing, same guy over several years. Everyone is in a race to get to "their" spot and will not give you the time of day. It just makes it that much more satisfying when I come in with my limit and they want to play 20 questions. I usually just ignore them and go get breakfast. I know it is petty but it gives me a warm fuzzy feeling.

When I get to the landing more that two hours before shooting light I don't mind chatting with people. I even brought a dozen doughnuts to the landing one day because I was running pretty early and thought I would be nice. No takers. I like to shoot ducks as much or more that the next guy but come on its not that difficult to be social.

My buddy and I were hunting on a point one time. A guy was coming down the shoreline going pretty fast and pretty close to the decoys. But what he didnt know was that there were alot of rocks on the point. I start to wave him away telling him to get away from the rocks, you know watch out... Well long story short, he gave me the bird. As soon as he put his hand back down wam! He ended up breaking his prop and pin on those rocks, I was trying to warn him about. He just floated back down the shore line with the wind pushing him a long ways down. I just smiled as he drifted on by.

Im all kinds of excited to chat it up at the landings in the AM and have been known to lend a hand in starting motors or holding boats in the wind. If you have ever heard a loud "Top of the mornin' to ya" at a duck landing its been me trying to chat it up. Many times I get some fun responses and other times I get nothing. Also, I am a proponent of keeping the ducks moving with team work so I try to communicate with others at the landing about where each other will be headed. Many times I have pointed guys to the "west" side when they were headed east on bodies of water known to me BUT thats only if they were willing to chat and not be d**ks while unloading.

A friend in the dark could also be a friend that does not sky bust that flock of green heads swinging on your spread or simply the guy that wont set up right on top of you..., the nice guy from the landing with the joke about the wife that burned the cheerios.