• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Otter "Butt Bridge" seats - by TBone

Uncle Grump

Question

In the "Why the Otter" thread, Tony makes a refrence to "Butt Bridge" seats by T-Bone.

Can one of you please explain in detail?

I was thinking of using a couple sections of 3/4" ply w/ some 1x2 cleats on the ends to hold the plywood on the edges of the sled, and then putting a folding boat seat on the plywood.

Thanks

UG

My brother did exactly that and it works very well. I don't see any reason to spend money on something like this when you can make it in 20 minutes for 1/10 the price.
Scoot

Uncle Grump......
They are just some homemade seats that span accross the Otter. I think they used cedar for it's light weight, but Tony has a big butt, would have been smarter to use oak or walnut. LOL
When TBone has the time, I'm sure he will let you know some of his construction details.

UNCLE GRUMP
The "Butt Bridge" by T-Bone is a well designed seat that's is custom made to span the width of any shelter.
They're not your ordinary wooden seat that can be made in your garage out of scrap plywood but are a custom made work of art and fully functioanl with with storage ports for extra propane canisters, jig boxes and best of all, a spot to hang your rods and keep the free from damage while transporting them. In other words, all of your gear can be stored in this seat and when you get home, just grab the seat and bring it in the house for safe keeping including your rods and other gear.
One shot deal.
When you're done fishing for the day or going to make a long run from spot to spot on the ice, just lift the seat off of the shelter and set it with all of your gear attached in the bottom of your shelter and take off.
Nothing gets bounced around and damaged.
It folds down, is light weight and looks great but best of all, it's comfortable.
That T-Bone guy has always got a light on upstairs and has developed some great tools for the ice fisherman.
Duffman on the other hand, will be tarred and feathered in Burbot slime and perch scales this winter when I get to Minnesota .

DUFFMAN
The RKG had their annual fall meeting last night and your name kept coming to the top like a dead carp on a hot summer day.
We have something for you !!

Uncle Grump........Tony's right about the seat. I just didn't really like the ones that were commercially available so I designed and built my own. The seat part is built like a mini-Adirondack without arms. It conforms to your butt and supports your back so you don't get sore from sitting there a long time. Cushioning or not, some of the seats in the portables with the low backs cause you to sit hunched forward and for me, that's a buzz killer if I'm out there all day long. It was design as you go all the way and I made it what I wanted it to be for me personally. Having rod stowage underneath and a spot to velcro a spare 1# propane bottle were add-ons. One of the seats in my shelter also has a 12 volt system built in with a batterybox and terminals to hook things up to like lights and a cigarette lighter receptical. Actually you can do anything you want to do with them. The other seat on the "passenger" side has a special fixture on the bottom that keeps my auger nailed in place during transport. That seat is also bungeed down so it stays there during flight and keeps the stuff nailed down for keeps. That's about it. I have built just a few for friends so far. And yes, the one I built for Tony was made a little wider due to his size. It had a design flaw though and it broke on a trip to Canada. I have since repaired it and he now has instructions not to lean back so hard when he sets the hook!..............T

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

TBone,
send em to me. I'll get em up for all to see.

E-mail me if you need my address or you can e-mail the pics if you use digital or have a scanner.

I need two of your Butt Bridges for an Otter Den. Any possibility?

Keep an eye on T-Bone and WallEYES, these guys have some nice gear coming in the future.

Rick.........You're gonna make me fire up the workshop again huh? I need the inside width of the tub on that Otter sled. I think I already know but need to know for sure. I'll e-mail the crappy 480x680 pics from the digital camera I got from a cereal box, better than no pix at all. Maybe WallEYES can come over and take some on his........T

WALL-EYES
Don't forget the picture of the Dark Cloud special edition Butt Bridge with the built in commode and T.P. hanger.

Hey Bub.....you accidentally dialed my number around 8:12 PM your time tonight.

Rick........I put in six hours on your Butt Bridges last night. All pieces cut and 1st one half assembled. Any color preference or would natural be ok. You make the call........T

OK Rick......They're done. Do you want them finished natural, or painted? I lucked out on these, they're identical twins.....do you want rod holders on them too? No big deal to add them if you do.......T

Here's a pic of TBones Butt-Bridge.

Sorry about the delay getting them up.
worum-buttbridge.jpg

Of course I would like the rod holders on the them. Who wouldn't want one of your Rock-n-Reels.

Wait till you guys get to see those. You'll have to wait though until the production model is ready. We'll let you know when it's ready.

Rick.....Nice picture, thanks. I took my original bridges into the shop and refurbed them. They took a beating last winter but held up good. The one on the left in the picture is the "hot seat" with 12vdc power. I added a cigarette lighter receptical to it for phone charging and also for auxiliary lighting that I keep in a pouch on the side of the shelter. Comes in handy when rummaging around in the tub at night for something. The models I made for you are really too short to mount rod holders underneath. Mine are somewhat longer. I'll try to get the first one on the way tomorrow before I leave town so you can fit check it. I'm also working on getting some plans drawn up for people who want to try to build their own........T

Maybe I'm mistaken but, I think I've seen the chair portion of that setup at stores like Fleet Farm. They fit on five gallon buckets and fold down. I've always meant to build one or two of those.

Dave......Very observant of you there but you know what? The first ones I put together did have those "bucket seats" installed on them. After about two hours of sitting on those, my a$$ fell asleep! (And that's called "Bucket Butt".) Most people's hind ends are not meant to be flattened for too long. I decided to come up with a better seat bottom design that's contoured to fit a real bottom side better. Those old seats are now gathering dust in my basement. A fitted pad of "finger foam" packing material makes the contoured ones feel like an easy chair...T

Oh, I see the contour of the seat, now that you pointed it out, Tbone. Makes sense about how a person gets "bucket butt". Are you going to be selling your plans or do you make these for others or am I being to nosey....LOL

Dave......How can you find anything out if you're not a little nosey? I sure am!.....I'm working on drawing up the plans right now. I have built some for people but I don't have the time to do it steady. It's a great little project with something good at the end. I plan to sell the plans for a nominal fee (What's fair?).....Materials could cost a whopping $10.00. All you need is a few tools and a little know-how and some time..........T

This isn't the official announcement yet, but Fishing Minnesota and Ice Leaders are going to be at the Ice Fishing Show at the St. Paul River Centre (Old Civic Center), Dec. 6-8.

I believe TBone will have some plans with us there and available for a nominal fee. The Butt-Bridge will be at our booth as well.

Otherwise you may need to e-mail TBone and work out a deal with him personally. Your choice of course.

I'm still looking forward to those Rock-n-Reels going into production. It's so simple and deadly on fish, you'll all wonder why no one has made these before.

I will state this, the Rock-n-Reel is easily the best dead stick holder to come along, bar none.

We MIGHT get a very limited supply out this year for those of you who like to be on the Leading Edge and are willing to let folks know what you think of them by your own experience.

I received my Butt Bridge by Tbone.

Not only is it comfortable, but it's a work of art as well.

Thank you very much TBone. I'm very happy with it.

I have my Ice Shelter set-up in the garage with the chair in it.

Only one tiny, small problem.

My daughter has taken it over and now thinks it's hers. She's also after me constantly to go ice fishing.

Now, not only do I have the trauma of my own ice fihsing bug, but I have hers added on top of it.

Her: "When are we going ice fishing?"
Me: "As soon as we get ice"
Her: When are we going to get ice?
Me: "When the weather man cooperates and send us some cold enough weather"
Her: "Why doesn't he do it now"
Me: "It just doesn't work that way"
Her: "I don't like the weather man"
Me: "Yes, right now I don't either"

Come on ice grin.gif

Thanks again TBone smile.gif

We both thank you.

The plans for the seats are done. I've just got to make an addition for people who's butts are bigger than standard sized butts (a minor change in the plan) and an additional stiffener for the seat back for those who inadvertantly lean back too hard and shatter the bottom supports. This will prevent the problem altogether.....Call it Service Bulletin #1......T