• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What's the best 1 man shelter???

Mike Stark

I got a otter den and really like it. Its older and only weighs 43lbs with no seat. I do like the FT pro too. Weight is a consideration for me cause I also walk a distance to fishing spots. The more stuff you put in the tub, the heavier it gets. I love fishing when all I need is a hand auger, 3 rods, bucket and seat and flasher, its a breeze pulling then. I got the den cause of price and I had a cabin before that and liked the quality.

One thing to remember is the newer ones are heavier cause most come with seats and the poles are heavier dutier. Maybe you can find an older one in good shape and save some money too.

Used a Fishtrap guide for the past 2 years. I am all of 5'8" and 190 so pulling it in was not all that easy with stuff aboard. This summer I came across a used fishtrap scout and will use that when i am by myself or cannot drive right to the spot. i usually take my flasher, auger, minnow bucket, 5 gallon bucket. 3 tips ups and 2 rods with any kind of food and beverage. Playing in the garage, the scout has more then enough room for the stuff.

I picked up a FishTrap Scout, added a cover and runner kit. I can fit all my gera including a hand auger, rod bag, flasher, and 2 5 gallon buckets, 1 bucket for the heater and the other for minnows or If I choose to take a meal home. I like the zippable front door, the seat is not the most comfortable, I may just remove it for use as a bucket. I wish they would make all these one-man shelters a little taller as when sitting my head just touches the canvas unless I lean forward.

I tried the Pac Shak , hated it and returned it.

I looked at the Frabill Recon but don't like the lack of windows and also no front door.

It's tough to label any product with the term "best". Some have different features that might suit you better than another.

1. You can never go wrong with an Otter wink

2. I really like my Fish Trap Pro and would recommend it to another without hesitation for a 1 man house.

Otter Cottage as Northlander mentions. I have one and it is plenty roomy, 3 holes and the heater no prob, though a tad short in the headroom department. I sit anyhow so thats a non factor for me in a small 1 man port. Sets up and drags easy, and nothing compares to Otter quality.

fiskyknut

Disclaimer: I do own a Canvas Craft Magnum sized shelter for when I'm going fishing with a buddy.

I have a 2008 FishTrap Scout and love it. I'm 6' 250lbs., and I have no problem getting comfortable angling in it. Personally, I prefer the layout of the Scout over the FishTrap Pro. I believe that it is the same sled for both shelters, but the shelters are oriented differently for each? I like the long narrow layout. I also like the fact that the seat is adjustable fore to aft. Like most anglers, I pack in rods of different lengths, and when I switch to a longer/shorter stick, it's nice to not have to lean (that darn back...getting old), or (heaven forbid!) shuffle the shelter forward/backward at all.

My fishin' buddy has a Recon (2005ish model) and doesn't love it so much. Lack of a seat (it does have a molded space to place a 5 gallon bucket), lack of a door, and the fact that it doesn't pull when there is snow as easily as other models, means it stays in the garage most winters. I'm sure they have modified the style in ensuing years, but I notice that there still is not a door on the front.

Having a door is nice, even on the teensy shelters. There are always those days when you're on the fish (or not smile ), it's silly cold outside, and you would prefer to bank in. It's nice to not have to lose all that heat when you want to step outside and stretch your legs. My first fish shelter was a older style fish-trap, and on those cold days it was a drag when I had to flip it open. Again, not a big deal, but something to consider.

One thing I appreciate more as I get older is having a seat with a backrest. It sure seems to help on those long days.

If I had to do it now I would buy the Frabill Commando. Frabill makes a good product, and if they had this model in the line-up last year I would have likely purchased it instead of the Scout. It's costs a bit more, and that is an important consideration, but it sure is a nice one man shelter. I like that it has a nice seat, and I also like the removable window option. Plus, it's a smart looking unit.

Some anglers like the option of being able to fish 2-lines in the shelter. This is not gonna be easy in the smallest flip-overs. I know there are those that do it just fine, but I prefer to keep it to one-line, inside a (true) one-man shack. If I want to run another line, I'll set a tip-up or deadstick outside of the shelter. Most times in the Scout are spent focused on fishing the 8" hole right in front of me.

In my opinion, if you want a small shelter, get a small (true) one-man shelter. If you think that you are going to be fishing with others, then get the largest shelter that you can manage, and afford.

Fish trap pro for me. I sold my otter den about a year ago after I looked at my buddy's pro. It was love at first sight. It's big enough for 2 holes, a lantern and a heater but not too big that a guy can't handle it by himself.

I have owned a FT Scout and Pro. They are both the same sled however the tent is oriented differently on each. with the sled being rectangular you will either get a slimmmer (Scout) or wider (Pro) tent. I sold my scout for the wider pro but wouldn't hesitate buying a scout if needed.

I must agree the Frabill Commando and Otters look real nice. I think whatever you pick you will be happy.

Good Luck

I owned the scout and loved it. I just upgraded to the pro for the extra room and door. As Valleye stated, the sleds are virtually the same except for the direction the cover opens. Very comfortable and lite. For me the kicker for any portable is the seat. No seat, no buy for this guy.

last year i bought a used quickflip sport wwhich is the one man version. i have had absolutly no complaints with it. its light, has a good sled, and has good windows and canvas. also it is longer than the other one mans so you can easily fish 2 rods in it. also it heats up very well.

I also own a Quickflip sport,and havent had a problem in 4 seasons.Price is not bad at all,and set up size is 93inches. I talked a few of my buddies into buying smaller shelters instead of 3 man shelters, you can still sit nearby and chat,why sit 2 or 3 guys in a shack if you're not catching anything. Mobility is the key. You can throw your flasher and auger in and be in a new location in seconds.

i have a trap pro and would highly recomend a otter wide cottage. way tougher sled, much easier to pull by hand. my trap is shot because of the weak sleds and my buddies otter is like brand new with more abuse. Easy choice here