• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What's the best 1 man shelter???

Mike Stark

I really like my FT Pro - very roomy. Big enought for 2 holes (dead stick + jigging). But I am second guessing my self. Kinda thinking I should have gone with a Scout for more proablity and light weight for when I am pulling by hand.

55 lbs is nothing to pull on the ice (or even through a good amount of snow.) I think the Clam scout trap is right around 50 lbs too. You'd need to get a hub or pak shack to get much lighter, then you'd loose mobility and would likely need a sled anyhow...

Anyone know what the lightest 1 man trap is? The Frabill recon is listed at 32 lbs., not sure if that includes a seat or not?

A lot of the one man shacks include a seat that adds a lot of extra weight. To reduce weight, you can take the seat out and cut another 10-20lbs (guestimate). Something to consider as you look at the options.

I do that with my fishtrap pro ... makes a difference. I just use my bucket for my seat. Not the most comfortable but works for me. Anyways, most times I get out and do some hole hopping to stretch the legs.

Had a PakShack and returned it and got a FishTrap Scout. Loaded the Scout last night into my dads pick up when it was full of gear by myself. In the tub there was my MarCum, tackle bag, rod bag and a few other things. Doubt it weighed 90 pounds with all that stuff in it.

Yes there is room to store gear (before or after you fold down the shelter). If you are toting a power auger, you will have to secure it on top some how, other wise everything else typically fits inside the sled. I actually carry mine in my hand when towing my sled.

Definitly make sure you buy the travel cover for the flipover style. Worth it to make sure you don't lose anything while towing.

I have a Recon, and the new Commando.

The Recon is very light, but the headroom is tight width is a bit tight for me too...and you need to sit on a pail..tough on the back.

The Commando is the nicest 1 man I have ever used by far. May very well be the best on the market right now? Lots of storage, durable tarp, front door, 3 windows, lots of headroom, and fishing area...and the deluxe seat that moves left and right..is sweet. The retail for $279

I also am a huge fan of the otter/team wild shacks. I have used the 3 man team wild for nearly a year now and really like it. These houses are probably a bit heavier than some other ones because the sleds are built so heavy duty. Believe me it is worth it when pulling behind a snowmobile or wheeler. But in your case Mike a bullet proof sled isn't really needed as you will be pulling it by hand. My buddy has a little 1 man fish trap (the scout I think its called), I have used it and its pretty nice and light.

anyone use the pak shack???

I too had bought the pak shack and returned it for the Recon. It serves it's purpous for the right person but for as much as I get out the quality was a factor. I also don't like how the "camp style" chair sits. Nice for lounging but no for fishing IMO.

Originally Posted By: mstark83
anyone use the pak shack???

I too had bought the pak shack and returned it for the Recon. It serves it's purpous for the right person but for as much as I get out the quality was a factor. I also don't like how the "camp style" chair sits. Nice for lounging but no for fishing IMO.

Wish I would have taken mine back, quality was not very good but it was light.2 of the hubs broke on it the same day, used it less then 15 times over 2 years.Just bought a used fishtrap pro and betting I will like that a whole lot more.