• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

which thorne rod?

adamr

It would be hard to recomend something to you,they have a great selection.I myself could not just decide without the touching and flexing of the rod in person to know which one is just right for me.Sorry, didnt notice where you were from.You probably cant just drive over to check them out eh.What size lures are you gonna want to use.There are probably a few folks on this site with a couple of different TB rods that they use for eyes.

Adam, what sort of lures are you planning on jigging with it? I have a hoard of T.B. rods, but I don't have a single medium heavy walleye. I mostly use the perch for walleye fishing. If I'm working a heavier jigging rap or spoon, I'll occasionally pull out a med. walleye. The perch can handle a pretty big fish.

I think for both inside and outside applications, 30" is a great length. I would suggest getting outside guides on it too. Choosing the handles is the hard part IMO. I just got a set of 32" rods with shorter Tennessee handles, can't wait to try them out. When I first started collecting them, I primarily got rods with hidden hood handles so I could disassemble them during storage and I also had an irrational aversion to attaching the reels with tape on such nice rods. I got over it though smile

... I primarily got rods with hidden hood handles so I could disassemble them during storage and I also had an irrational aversion to attaching the reels with tape on such nice rods. I got over it though smile

Fishwater, I looked at those hidden hood handles ... I really like the design and kind feel the same way. Was at TBs and looked at them briefly - the Hidden Handles seemed to really increase the diameter of the handle. I prefer skinnier handles cause I find them more comfortable for me. Any comments on this aspect the hidden hood handles? Thx.

For that I would go no heavier than the regular walleye sweetheart. I pulled a 30" over 10 pound walleye up with that on 6 lb line.

As for attaching the reel no, you don't have to use black tape, I use orange on my walleye rods. grin Seriously, there are a couple of different options for you. Stop by or check out their HSOforum.

If you don't get the hidden hood (and also the reel seat I think) style handle option, your handle is just the cork. So you have to use something to attach it - typically black electric tape. Not uncommon for ice rods.

Their HSOforum has a picture of the hidden handle - look at the perch/walleye sweetheart. The one in the picture looks different then how I remember it. I thought the one I looked at showed nothing but cork with a reel attached.

If you are going to be running 1/8 to 1/4 buckshot spoons, I would think a Perch Sweetheart Outside rod would be just about exactly what you are looking for. You can run with the electrical tape on a standard handle or go with a hidden hood type handle. The hidden hood basically has a larger diameter like NC said, but it holds the front half of the reel mount and the back half of the handle screws open and closed to allow you to lock the reel in. It is similar to a graphite reel seat on your summer rods but all cork. It will help keep your hand warmer on the ice when you are without gloves.

looked at those hidden hood handles ... I really like the design and kind feel the same way. Was at TBs and looked at them briefly - the Hidden Handles seemed to really increase the diameter of the handle. I prefer skinnier handles cause I find them more comfortable for me. Any comments on this aspect the hidden hood handles? Thx.

Unless you are targeting big pike or lakers, you will be happier with a med-ml action rod IMO.

Just remember you are dealing with ice rods that are about 1/3 the length of open water rods. That med-heavy will feel like your fishing with a 2x4, compared to what you are use to with your open water MH fishing rod.

Adamr, sounds like you are pretty new to ice fishing. If you are, may want to consider buying 2-3 cheaper combos of different sizes/actions for the price of a single TB rod + reel.

Gander makes some pretty inexpensive real combos and they are decent. There are a ton of options out there.

Than you can experiment to see what type of rod(s) fit your style best without spending a bunch of money only to find you wish you went with a different configuration. Once you get first hand experience of what you really want/like, then go out and spend the money on a higher end rod(s) like a TB.

Just a suggestion to consider.

I icefish 3 to 5 nights a week with the gander rods now and just want to get a good rod. The biggest thing I dislike about gander rods is there to short. I think Im either gonna get the perch outside rod with hidden hood handels or walleye graphite in 28 with the hood handels any suggestions

If I were to get a 28", I would go with the Tennessee or standard handle. The hidden hoods put your reel closer to the tip, so your working part of the rod is shorter. Basically it would be similar to a 24" rod with a longer butt section behind the reel. I'd go longer with a hidden hood, or a different style handle. I've seen some short handled Tennessee locking that move the reel back further and don't require tape. I'd give someone a call at T.Brothers and work out the specifics.

Get the perch!

What kinda fish you plan to target with this rod? For panfish/perch/walley - go the Perch, for Walleye go Walleye rod.

Another thing to consider ... If you really want the 30" size, you can call TB direct hand have them make you a custom rod for that size. But if you plan to fish in smaller protables, you'll be happy with that 28".

Better yet ... come to the St. Paul ice fishing show next weekend and look at all the options first hand. TB's will be there.

Thanks guys I think I'm gonna call them and get a custom 30 walleye medium built probably with the tennese handle. I hate the idea of taping on a reel to a 100 rod. I guess I probably could just buy both rods one for inside 28 perch sweatheart and a 32 medium walley for outside. They say to spend to boost the economy right.

These are the wraps for holding the line guides to the rod blank. If you go to their HSOforum and look at the TB Custom Summer custom rods, you will see the various color options/combonations. For some reason they don't list these color options on the ice rods.

Adam,

Shoot me a ring at the store sometime tonight between 4:30-8:30pm... I'll help you figure out which rod to get smile I will also give you a rundown on all the various color choices for guide wraps as well as all the options for lengths and handle choices... we'll get you a tricked-out custom rod that fits your needs perfectly. A lot of things to consider when building a rod and sometimes it can be a little overwhelming, but no worries, we'll get you sorted out!

Give me a ring tonight... 763-572-3782