• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lake Trout

Inthehollow

if you put this thread in the BWCA-Ely forum you may get more responses about ely area lakes....if that whats you looking for

....burntside...snowbank....are popular lakes for lakers up here...easy to get to....lots of great laker lakes in the BWCAW...you can hire mushers to take you out there...nothing like mushin out and catchin lakers

If you want to stay in Minnesota there are a number of lakes in the Arrowhead region that have lake trout.

If you want a good chance at a monster, Outfitter17 has the lake for you, Lower Manitou. I haven't fished Lower Manitou on the ice but while my brother and I were muskie fishing the lake we would take a break from muskie fishing during the day to catch supper. We caught lakers every day in August, jigging deep for them. It was a blast.

Inthehollow--like caseymcq said Lower Manitou has some great lake trout fishing and I have never heard anything but the best about Matt (although I have never stayed w/ him). I have some friends that live in the Fort Frances area, and they love that lake. I have fished L.Manitou, and I'll say that it probably has some of the best fishing I have seen--very good numbers and very good size. The closest MN fishing quality like that would be up in the BWCA and up the Gunflint.

We offer remote outpost cabins on some excellent lake trout lakes. We have a cabin on Pipestone Lake and Dogfly Lake(next door to the Manitou Stretch). Some walleyes are alaso available in smaller nearby lakes. We also have cabin with hot & cold running water on Off Lake. There you can fish walleye & crappie on Off Lake and lakers are available with a short snowmobile ride at a handfull of different lakes. Any questions, let me know.

I was up on Pipestone Lake at Superbee's outpost cabin about a week and a half ago, and with the amount of snow up there, you would have been out of luck with an ATV. I think most places this winter a sled would be necessary, unless they get some warm weather to melt the snow.

I would highly recommend checking out Pipestone. We have had phenomenal fishing every trip up there, and it seems to just keep getting better. The fish are very nice sized too, most between 25 and 30 inches. Dogfly is also a very good lake. I caught a 36 incher there last winter, my biggest laker yet. Have you ever ice fished for trout? If not, you are in for a treat!

Inthehollow - NoWiser is right on the money. With the snow that we currently have, an atv would not be adviseable. Snowmobile is the way to go right now. The conditions in March are usually favorable for atv's. That will be easier to tell as we get closer. The only thing is if conditions are good for an atv in March, if we get a big dump of snow over your trip. It could create some extra work getting around. If you can get a sled, that would be best or wait til March and you should be good to go. Shoot me an email if you would like to discuss a trip or what equipment is needed to make your trip easier.

Superbee how has the slush been on your lakes. I was up and fished dogpaw and white fish(LOW) and had good luck but the slush was tarble. I have a 600 panther 2 up with studs and was stuck all the time pulling a otter. Now on MN side of LOW with all the warm weather we have been having slush is showing up allover. I kinda want to get up your way and try some new lakes.

The slush healed up good in our area. There are a few pockets of slush around, but they aren't creating any troubles for the guys out fishing. I have a couple groups out fishing over the weekend at the different lakes. After they come and give me a report, I will post what the weekend brought us. If you have any dates that you were thinking of coming over our way, shoot me an email.