• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rat Poison

fishingbuddy

Hey

Two weeks ago my lab got bored staying in the garage. He pulled stuff off the shelves and destroyed a Corona Box and didnt break a bottle. But what he did do is eat mouse poison. Called the vet and he said to watch for bleeding and make sure he keeps drinking. Well no side affects noted untill 2 days before Thanksgiving. He had bad dirarra and kept throwing up. I run both dogs at night and often cant see them so figured it was something else he ate. Well on Thanksgiving he was very lathargic and still throwing up. Well off to the emergency room we went. They did a battery of test with nothing working. On Friday took him back to my vet in Inver Grove and we found where they took blood during the night it was not clotting. We then found a fine red line where the teeth and gums meet. The poor guy was bleeding internally. A blood transfusion and Vitimem K he is almost back to normal overnight. NO major activity for two weeks...(that will be tough) Moral of this story is really be carefull of where your poison is. Mine was 2 shevles up and in a closed container. After a internet seach this is exactly what happens a full two weeks later. Have a plan of what do do with your dog in a emergency.

Lucky to still have em

Fishingbuddy

I'm glad your dog is recovering!!!

Mine got into some a couple summers ago, but I caught her doing it. I induced vomiting with hydrogen peroxide. After she vomited for about 15 minutes she was back to normal. I always carry hydrogen peroxide with her travel pack now.

When our lab did this as a one year old, she was at the vets for two days before they could get her to vomit it up. She was put on vitamin K injections for a few days, and had to be rechecked until her blood clotted as it should. Nothing to play around with, that's for sure.

Glad to hear your dog is recovering!

My dog got into some a few years back, I called the vet right away and they put the dog on vitamin k right away and then had me come back a couple weeks later for a blood test, all was well. I'm surprised the vet told you to just watch the dog for a few days rather than use the vitamin k right off the bat as a preventative, I think you really lucked out.

I'm glad your dog is recovering!!!

Mine got into some a couple summers ago, but I caught her doing it. I induced vomiting with hydrogen peroxide. After she vomited for about 15 minutes she was back to normal. I always carry hydrogen peroxide with her travel pack now.

Yep, induce vomiting with hydrogen peroxide.

Glad it worked out for you.

The hydrogen peroxide works well. It must be done right away though when the poison is still in the dog stomach.

How much hydrogen peroxide? I start with a cup and see how that goes. It'll do its work in around a half hour. Notice the color at the last of its vomiting, if its still green give him another dose.

Now I gotta make sure the peroxide is in my travel first aid kit.

Rodenticide is great for inducing internal bleeding and anticoagulation. Good thing you were paying attention and knew what your dog got into. Good thing Vitamin K is the antidote.

Glad it worked out for you.

The hydrogen peroxide works well. It must be done right away though when the poison is still in the dog stomach.

How much hydrogen peroxide? I start with a cup and see how that goes. It'll do its work in around a half hour. Notice the color at the last of its vomiting, if its still green give him another dose.

Surface is right. Only use the Hydro if you catch them in the act. If it's more than 15 minutes after they got into something it's too late to do any good. I didn't go through the poison but had a beagle that got into treats and over ate. Ended up in the ER for a night.

Glad your dog is OK now.