• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2008/09 Ice fishing Reports

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just saw someone reported on [YouNeedAuthorization] that Big Gay had ice and they fished it today, if that's true you know my little secret spot has to be fishable. Looks like I better go get the dust off of the auger, trap and Marcum. Early ice is the time to fish Big Gay though, the reason I call it that is because one day you get them good the next day you take your bait for a swim.

Tim,

The trap deal is all set. Have to get in touch with Lee on the LX3. I'm in for Thursday as far as I can see. Hoping it's not to bad, I'll be roughing it! lol Waiting to hear if Jerry's will UPS my new shack so I can go wholesale and save some $. Otherwise, it's off to the store. My son is working pt at Herb's so... I'll call tomorrow and get Lee's # Thanks to you and ENY Tyler for the help!! I'll be sure to wish Bud congrats too!

DC...I just got done organizing/catagorizing all my Maki's...I can't get any ground covered...I am spinning my wheels. Too many styles, colors, styles, colors, styles, colors crazy

I am going to bed...I am meeting McCully for a little Yellow Tape Breakfast wink

AW - Give me a call after 2-3 hours of fishing. With this darn snow comming down, I have to be to work by 5!

My wheels have been spinning since the show. I have accomplished testing most all the plastics on many diff heads and have some favorites narrowed down. And I got 2 dozen of the new jig color painted cool

AW - Thanks for the offer. I'll leave it up to you. I have a Jet Sled I can use until I get my new shack. I always try to dress warm and bring my little heater. If I get too cold...I just drill more holes, lol Sure my shoulders get sore and I miss hooksets as a result but...lol

I got to Yellow Tape while still dark. My fishing partner for the day couldn't make it, so I waited until first light before heading out on the Pond. My first hole drilled about 100yds. off shore revealed 5-7 inches of very safe ice...I continued out to my reliable spot, but stopped short to check thickness again and found 3-5 inches of good ice. I decided to call that my spot for the morning, as I didn't want to travel any further by myself. I caught over a dozen Bluegills with at least 5 over 8". No Happies due to the fact both my lunch cooks were out for the day and I got the call telling me that. I left the ice to go cook some food for my hungry customers...end of story...Timmy, call me after my lunch rush(1-2pm).

Peace out Chicken Phat!!!

Tim and Frank,

Bud said to tell you all that he and Tyler can't post from work since the company changed hands. They will be posting from home in the evening or at night. They are looking forward to getting out here to fish with us again, this time they hope to make a few trips to include Oneida and some panfish spots. They're invite to us is still open as son as they get good ice.

Ray the ENY Gang an Big Johnny Ice trips will be accomplished this season. I got my zone shot in the knee today and I feel pretty gosh darn good. But I felt like a million bucks when I left the Turret after one of Dougies lunch specialties, delicious cool It was nice to see you an Vanessa again. smile

Well boys just got an earful from the head hocho that I only can talk Verizon to Verizon on the cell until Tueseday I maxxed out on my out of network minutes for the month? whistle Happen's every year come ice time. smile

On the way back home I drove up the east end of yellow tape looks like whatever snow was there soaked in good for the most part hope it gets cooler than 34 here and tightens the top up. Dougy I have the alarm set fror 5 so I'm saying 6 ish on my end.

Got done looking on the web and we decided that were going to look at a 2008 Chrysler Town and Country for Momma and I will take over her 01 Silhouette. Not in a big hurry cause it ran great tonight after I purged her from the Hamilton run dropped some of the GM crush pellets in there from Dey Chevy and it seems to be working as she didn't spike once on the way home from Dougs ristorante. I hope I got all the air out of her and the pellets did there job and sealed what pi$$y air leak I have in the cooling system. It' so much nice when you have heat in a vehicle whistlecrazy

Ray looking forwrad to seeing you tomorrow and I will have your spikes.

Whahoo just got a call Franky is going with us as well, awesome see you at 5 Frank. I new you couldn't resist wink

Well yellow tape was pretty steady today wink with anywhere from 4" to 5.5" of ice. Not more than 2.5" of black ice left and I'm kinda worried about the 4 - 8"s of snow predicted tomorrow and what that's gonna due to the bouncy holes as you walk by if you get my drift. Fished from 10' out 18' and found gills, a couple of crappies and some largemouths. Sorry Doug your crappie pic didn't come out and only Ray's head on his gill shot. I think it's my memory card and I will be looking to get another soon. I don't get it the pics are on the camera but not the card frown they they didn't convert to the memory card, go figure. Frank and I arrived around 6:15 a.m. and Dougy was within a minute or so of us, and Ray arrived a bit later. Action was steady, not slinging but steady. Doug caught a nice looked to be a 12" crappie it was a dandy and Ray got a smaller one. I caught a nice 14" largie and Frank did the same. And we had gills all in the 4" to 8 3/4" variety. Great time had by all Doug left first and we left and hour after and Ray stayed since he was in a hot hole in 18'. Gills were coming in about 5' off the bottom in the deep water and the shallow water say 11' they were any where from 5' off the bottom to the botoom. It was a great day to fish with the trap open or on a jet sled. Talked to Steve, Todd and Jay while on the ice. Looking forward to the next trip grin and praying we don't get any more snow and some colder weather.

CJ&S Demon and glow Maki mmmm..

1001298un5.jpg

Another..

1001299jp1.jpg

Macro..

1001300yp2.jpg

Dougy with a dandy..

1001303eb6.jpg

Franky scores..

1001305bg6.jpg

Franky whacks another..

1001308oo9.jpg

Ray and Doug I'm sorry about the camera mad

Nice job guys!

Timmy - How was the new rod? I see you took a pretty custom handle and made it look goofy with the placement of the reel and all that tape whistlegrin

Tank and Billy are off to Narrow Lake. Im kinda cranky, had to work this am and heading to her sisters now for X-mas with them...

With caution and a warning I handed over my new Thorne Bros "finness plus" to Tank for him to try out...

Jay - That rod is sick! That's the only rod I used all day and then I switched jigs to the Dark Cloud Rothlesburger, wink "You know the vertical little bugger painted marmooska style with bright orange head,chartruese body and single black dot. Your finest bluegill jig yet they mashed that thing and it get's up ad down in deep water fast for slaying;) grin

The rod you built for me is set-up for the next 4 years or before I break it whistle the little Pflueger and the back bone to take a nice bass although I think a big test would be one of those big a$$ Canadarago smallies.

Ray sorry I missed your call. Glad you got home safe and your welcome on the spikes. Will keep you posted on next venture.

Probably Sunday if we don't get hit with this snow and I think the southern tier is going to get pounded 8 - 12".

Sorry King was hoping you were on the ice before we got there laugh next time around Tim.. May have to fish North with this snow. Will just have to wait and see.

Mohawk Valley Joe called and he just left Herb Phillipsons and bought a Fish Trap pro tow bar for his fish trap. Didn't realize Herb's had theses things there not very good at stayin up with the latest ice gear, anway he's fishing yellow tape tomorrow early before this snow hits...

Timmy - Where ever is comfortable on the handle for you. Im gonna pick on ya reguardless, lol...

Thanks god I have the internet here at her sisters. Talked to Tank and they were into some fish. He made the Oooopsie of the year though, he's on the ice and his Marcum is at home!!!

DC,thats like going fishing bare ARSE whistle, it figures that we have snow coming I want to try out the new shelter I guess I am going to find out how it DRAGS anyway. Next time you are up this way I have a few items for you wink.

Frank, what did you do in that last pic try taking a bite if that gill and the dorsal poked you in the nose confused.

Poor Tank, been there done wink that drove 2 hours to lake of the isles and sight fished all day, my neck was sore but it enjoyable looking down the hole..

Todd - Franky was listening to Clapton and snorting spikes laughwhistlegrin

North Shore and Hendo maybe joining Mohawk Valley Joe in the morning looks to be a fast trip as the moved the bad weather back to 9 a.m. v.s. noon.. Not looking to good Sunday unless I go way north. Also gotta report of gouys on Youngs another option. Update from the Canadarago Diner, it is closed and is still for sale. Joe I think you said there is still another diner down there so I want details. Canadarago is still aways away boys according to Joe, which is good if they get hammered and then we can start from scratch..

Guys Wheeler from Gander called he's retired now quit Gander last May and he told me as soon as the MarCum's got in the New Hartford Gander this week they were gone and need more. He's gotta have Rick go through corporate, good luck with that. whistle

Anyways he's got a new in box last year LX-5 never fished for 475 and a used LX-5 maybe a dozen times for 375, just throwing that out to the locals here. He want's the new LX-5 bad and could use the cash if your seious about getting one call me and I'll reserve it for you. He has to come over to pick-up spikes anyways so I wanted to pass that along to our gang here. Like I said he could use the money bad...

Dang this storm the way there talking is darn depressing, thank God we got out today...

Their already calling for a "weather warning and emergency" to start at 8-9am with SUBSTANTIAL snowfall?? 6-12". I have to make a call but the LX could be sold?!! I'll let you know

Glad that you guy's got out and iced some fish today, congrats!!

Soon.......soon I will be out!