• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2008/09 Ice fishing Reports

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fishingking - I know and will be stopping at Scott's booth first chance I get, USMC Steve needs me to pick up a pice of camera equipment from Scott. If you want me to grab a couple of pro packs for you I'll try to get to em before the masses, we have a pretty good handle on the colors that we have had good luck with wink

Salmonspanker - Rob great to hear from you. Lake George was a blast and I'm sure I can twist Kyle's arm again to go, great time with the eastern NY FMer's. I'll give John a call and you soon after the warm-up crazymad Anyways welcome to another ice season

Like Jay said it was pretty slow for most of the day and I left ariound 12:45. Just talked to jay and hesid the guys having seen anything for 2 hours frown The driving took alot out of us this morning with snow, ice, sleet and a quick bout of freezing rain. A trip that takes generally and hour was an hour and 40 min. to get there. Ice was a solid 5.5" in 9' with 3" of white ice.

I arrived around 7 a.m. and changed into my new Cabela's boots which I absolutely love, as warm as my Micky's and a big upgrade over my old reliable Rocky's, plus they were absolutely made to fit for my Arctic Spurs.

Started down to the lake walked out and got my hole drilled and scooped, then I grabbed my LX-5 and wen't to withdraw the transducer from the well and it was stuck. Stuck so hard like it was epoxied to the foam protector that the tranducer sets on in the storage well. To make a long story short I had to use a sharp knife, peel back the soft pack and go up under the unit where the drain well is for the tranny holder. Rounded it out with knife and used a pair of forceps to get here to free up. All told 30 minutes it took too get the puck out of there and to clean off all the stuck on foam residue. I knew I would do something it's the first trip of the year. Whila ccomplishing this task I also dpoked my thumb nice ly with blade so add a little blood to the repair as well. frown

Here's a pic of the 1/8" depression you see about 1/4" from center at ahair past 12 O'clock (sorry about the pic).. Of course I thought great I have a small hole in my ducer that's about an 1/8" deep.

1001286pd8.jpg

Figured I wouldn't get a very good reading at all wth all the digging and gouging I did and was pleasantly surprised it functioned like it never happened so I am very happy. Talked to Jon about and he said it would be fine, and he was right.

You guys didn't miss anything action wise I was 4-5 on marked fish, with one nice seed at 8 3/4", lost a pickerel or small bow and drilled and moved alot early looking for fish. My knee is staring to feel a bit better than it was when I first came home, meds and IB kicking in and next is the heating pad. Even with the transducer mishap less than favorable driving conditios it was great to see Tank, Billy and Doug again. Looking forward to the next trip.

Here's Tank with a nice gill...

1001288yp4.jpg

Here's the best fish I caught.

1001291vq8.jpg

If he "long armed" that gill like some take pictures it would look like atleast an 11 incher whistle

He did get one a tad bigger later on...

Mr. West - that was quite the concert you had going on, on your home stero. I thought I called the wrong number, like the help desk at a Dead Show, lol...

Great report guys. Talk about an early ice year so far for those who finished up their hunting season! I've still got the Lund out and I'm still doing a little trolling in between bowhunting and getting some nice walleyes on the big lake. I'm going to bowhunt again this weekend and try to get one more deer and maybe a couple more trips with the boat at night next week and then on to some icefishing smile The FL-18 and the Nilsmasters are ready to rock!

Good to here from you John thats awsome your still breaking the ice with the LUND cool.This past summer I purchased a Lund and I love it I haven't broke any ice yet with it probably ice out I will.Looking foward to fishing on the ice with you again Tight lines Bro grin.

Well I didn't get out but here's what Anthony I did today, it was my last day to hunt and I waited until the end to put some meat in the the freezer. It's been a great year for hunting and I was holding out to the last minute for a MONSTER 8 pointer but he didn't show so I told Anthony to pick the biggest doe and she will be riding home with us. Sorry for the bad picture but forgot the camera and had to use my cell phone.

AnthonywithLeesMuzzleloaderdoe2008.jpg

Way to go on the doe Lee and Anth, well done.

Jay got the diagnosis on my van and thank god it's not terminal just a bad thermostat, can't understand it I had a new one put in a year ago last fall when I had it flushed and filled crazy Going to run it over to Midas at lunch. The dang GM dealer wanted to charge me $514 bucks for the diagnosis, oil change, thermostat and flush n fill of antfreeze. mad No thanks

I will be fishing yellow tape today...I checked some old holes while taking a stroll around out there yesterday...it was still VERY fishable. It got down below 20* last night and I am sure it tightened back up pretty good. I will give a fnal report a little after dark. I can't believe we can't be there after dark mad

Appreciate the scout report Doug and did I mention I'm off Thursday, Ray wink

Ray - Bud, ENY Tyler's partner just called he's interested in your fish trap he'll be calling you on the cell shortly.

Guys Bud had a a baby three weeks ago little boy 7 lb's and 11 oz. It's a keeper, congrats bud.

Insurance Guy - Nice talking to you last night good luck on your next walleye run, light up a few Stoagies...