• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Auger losing power

riverrat56

Question

I have a 2hp 8" Jiffy auger that is ~4 years old, over the last two years I have had a harder and harder time breaking through the last 1-2" of ice. The auger seems to stall out when it gets bound up at all. I can still break though by lifting the auger up slightly and giving it some throttle and then putting it back down. Is there something wrong/in need of repair or cleaning? Or is this normal?

7 answers to this question

What kind of oil are you using? I would suggest a 100:1 mix if you already have not done that and the most important thing is the spring between your throttle cable and your carburator (which attaches to the governor sail) is getting weak. If you cut off the loop that attaches to your throttle cable and bend out the next loop on the spring to make the new hook, that should restore your rpm's to almost new. Switching to a 100:1 mix like Amsoil Sabre, will free up the engine a lot.

I run the Jiffy oil that comes in the pre-measured bottles, after this tank is burned up I will make the switch too Amsoil

I'm not too handy with motors, is the repair you said something that is relativly easy or should I find someone with a little more knowledge?

Pretty easy. If you want to have someone else do it, it should be really cheap. E-mail me at [email protected] and I can get you contact info on who and where to get it done. You need to remove the fuel tank and sometimes the carb studs want to come with. Can be a pain in the rear at times.