Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dahitman44

favorite Ice Fishing Line?

29 posts in this topic

Time to re-spool and I thought I would see what everyone likes and why?

I have two sets of poles -- two for crappies and two for eyes.

thanks

Hitman

is there anywhere you can buy p-line ice, gander and sportsmans whse. both didnt have any yesterday.

I bought 3# test Shakespeare Cajun Red Ice line last winter. It is a good mono. It had minimal memory and remained quite flexible in the cold. It is cheap too at $3.29 for 110 yards.

I tried the 6# Red Cajun last winter and it gobbed off the reel. Used it one day and threw it out.

Firm believer in using 6 pound trilene 6 xt for eyes, and 4 pound trilene xl for pannies no need to buy ice line summer line works great I like to spool the 6 pound on a shimano 2000 or 2500 and put on a decent sized walleye rod and the 4 pound on the smaller reels, I like 12 pound stren for the tip ups

About 4 or 5 loops would fall off the reel at a time and ended up with a mess.

That sounds like it could possibly be operator error as in it wasn't spooled on tight enough.

To each their own...

I spooled it on the same way I do all my line. I've had good luck with P-line and Gamma doing it the same way.

Firm believer in using 6 pound trilene 6 xt for eyes, and 4 pound trilene xl for pannies no need to buy ice line summer line works great I like to spool the 6 pound on a shimano 2000 or 2500 and put on a decent sized walleye rod and the 4 pound on the smaller reels, I like 12 pound stren for the tip ups

I'm about in the same boat, though I stick with 6lb xl instead of t. It doesn't stiffen up as much. I do pull off a good chunk of the end before season, though, just in case.

I have 2# Trilene ice line on one, and 4# on the other. I picked up a box of the red to try when I need to respool one of them.

i have seen alot of post about this p-line what exactly is it?

Time to re-spool and I thought I would see what everyone likes and why?

I have two sets of poles -- two for crappies and two for eyes.

ditto on crystal have had the same line on for a couple of years without respooling and still works great.

I just picked up a bunch of fireline crystal from a buddy for $2.00 a spool. He closed down his icefishing HSOforum and what he had leftover.

I've used it during the summer and this will be my first year using it during the winter. Can't wait........I think I might go out this week for the 1st time.

I like fire line for panfish and powerpro for everything else

The line to compare against is Trilene micro ice. Anything that can do better than that is kudos. Anything that doesn't perform as well isn't worth your time or money.

There are many regular open water lines that can perform decent in cold freezing weather. Understand that every line will become stiff when exposed to water and freezing air. Best way to prevent that is getting a line that repels water better. That's where Trilene Micro Ice comes in as an advantage over the regular XL line. Many copolymer lines are formulated better to provide even better performance then Micro Ice. Something like Gamma ESP ice line excels in this area. Notably Flourocarbon has better water repellent properties than nylon, but the trade off is flourocarbon is more stiff as well as more abrasion resistant. That's where P-line Flouroice comes in.

Mostly p-line flourice or gamma. Ocassionally fireline crystal.