• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Four great gray owls at Sax-Zim Bog

Steve Foss

This winter doesn't appear to be a big invasion/irruption year, but four GGOs in one day means the odds are getting pretty good for seeing this amazing species.

Here's a report from a Minnesota birding e-mail net.

Nichols Lake Rd: 2 birds between 2 and 2.3 miles East of Hwy 7

Highway 7: one bird, 4 miles South of Arkola Rd (52)

McDavitt Rd: one bird, 3.7 miles South of Zim Rd.

Just got back Steve...I made the "rounds"....My neck is sore from crankin it back and forth trying to spot both sides of the roads grin....I saw abazillion rough-leggeds,all over the place!...man those guys are on the poles, in the trees...if you're into hawks,they certainly are there this year...but...no owls...nada! cry....but then again I never went down to the Nickols Lake road this time...apparently they are in the vacinity but not in "my" vacinity! grin...I ran into Jmalm and we shot the breeze for half an hour...just saw gray Jays and chickadees....went to both areas and checked the "treats"....admiral had the most "usage" from what I could see...They will come...it's early yet!.......I snapped a couple chickadee images while at the weasel site(like I don't have enough chicadee images! grin)....anyways...the camera was there,the bird was there...gotta take a pic! grin

chickadee77.jpg

Jonny, unless the GGOs are stressed/starving, they don't hunt much during the day, and usually only are active until shortly after sunrise, roosting in cover all day and coming out again a bit before sunset.

That big invasion/irruption winter a few years ago brought so many starving owls down from Canada that it was easy to see and approach them as they hunted the whole day through to stay alive.

Probably not as likely to see that behavior this winter. If the mouse/vole population had crashed in Canada, we'd know it by now because we'd have a lot more GGOs than we do.

Jay I am so jealous but glad you were able to get some nice shots. It almost looks like he went back to the original tree. The info says that 2 were spotted so it make me wonder if you did see both of them. I will post my pics of the day down in photosharing.