• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

lowrance 520 for ice fishing

Minn Fish

Alright guys. I took out the 522 yesterday evening for it's maiden voyage on the ice. The GPS was great for finding the spots I located earlier in the fall. The problem; my graph and flasher mode doesn't seem to pick up my jig? I messed with a few different settings including colorline and sensitivity. The transducer seems to pick up the bottom depth and everything just fine. I hope it's something I'm not doing right and not the ducer'. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The problem; my graph and flasher mode doesn't seem to pick up my jig? I messed with a few different settings including colorline and sensitivity. The transducer seems to pick up the bottom depth and everything just fine. I hope it's something I'm not doing right and not the ducer'. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sometimes I've found if the "surface clarity" and "noise rejection" are set too high, smaller jigs tend to get washed out. Try turning these down to med/low/off and see if this helps.

so I really can't justify getting some electronics,or can I?...Heh.

If you can't justify new electronics ..... you need to try harder wink

I can order Lowrance Ice Ducers and Ice Accessory Kits. I don't have them listed on my HSOforum but if you're interested send me an email and I'll try to help you guys out.

I could have sworn that I picked up my ice kit(PPP-16i) at GM. I used it to convert my lcx-25. It worked out pretty good, except that the 7" monitor is real heavy and doesn't quite fit in the enclosure.

Frank, I think that Lowrance is in Tulsa, they might have some sweet deals on refurbished units.

Adam

I picked up a conversion kit from GM 2 weeks ago. ($149.00) Includes: Ice-Ducer, carrying kit, battery and charger. I have it on my 522 and IMO it works satisfactory.

Word of caution. If you use it at night, use the low light level setting. After looking at the bright setting for a couple of hours at night, I had a square purple spot burned into my retna. After about 30 minutes, the spot clearned up but it made me a little nervous at first.

Hey Jim?

do you have an ice ducer, or are you running it with a skimmer on some sort of pole/float rig?

if your running it with the skimmer rigged up to some hand-crafted rig, you HAVE TO make sure that thing is level level level. otherwise the beam/cone may be off ever so slightly and missing your jig; still picking up the bottom and fish but not your jig.

(the main reason i finally broke down and coughed up the hundo for the ice ducer two seasons ago)

all this is moot of course if you have the ice ducer, in which case make sure it is level, then fiddle with the clarity and rejection.

Minn Fish,

I have a 522 ice kit and use it ice fishing often. I hope you already tried bumping up the sensitivity to the max, the green area. If you use a float on your ducer, it may angle it slightly to the side. That cone may miss your lure. I have made a couple special ducer holders to help aim the cone to where the bait is.

The first one I made is T-shaped with a pivot on a wing nut and hardware at the bottom to attach the ducer.

My new and so far untested solution is promising though. I used gas line connector hose and mounted if to the base of my ice machine. Attach the ducer to the other end on coat hanger wire. It stays in place where you position the coil and winds up easily too. 11 bucks and a coat hanger and you're gold!

These are essential for deep water ice fishing!