Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
prov1900

One rod...if you had to pick

21 posts in this topic

Looking at updating my bass gear. If you had to have one rod, i.e. one for flipping, swimbaits, worming, spinnerbaits, deep cranks, buzz baits....

What length, brand, action, etc would you pick? I have currently in my arsenal: St Croix 7 ft MH, Team Daiwa Crankin Stick 7 foot - MH, Berkley 7 ft Med Action (cheaper rod), Cortland 7'6" XH, and a St Croix 7 ft heavy spinning rod.

Getting interested further in swimbaits, but have no intention throwing the big ones (8" or more).

I think I am good with what I have, but need to add one more, or would like to. I have an empty spot on my rod racks on the wall when my walleye sticks are in the boat.

Kistler? Anyone have any comments on them?

Ive got several kistlers (LTAs and MGs) they are very light and sensitive but I think this makes them more brittle. I really like the ones ive got but dont see myself replacing them when that time comes.

If I were you , I would look at getting a 6'6" med spinning rod. That way you should have most bases covered.

I use my 6'6" M spinning for a lot, so that's a good suggestion.

Agree on the spinning rod suggestion. I have a heck of a time throwing small light crankbaits with a baitcaster. I actually use a Fenwick HMG 6'6 ML for this. Works great.

For me, If I could only get one rod... WHICH WOULD KILL ME.. 6'10" MH Baitcaster with 12 Lb gamma.

I use the living day lights out of my Fenwick 6'6" ML. I love fenwick rods

I also LOVE Fenwick - specifically HMG rods. Wish the had a crankbait rod.

If I had to pick just one, it would be my 7' Medium HMG. Great setup with my Revo SX. Probably not the best for heavy jigs or cover, but works for most stuff I toss.

If I were to recommend one rod to someone strictly for bass it would be a 7' MH baitcaster. I believe it is the best option for different rigging options and cover situations.

Guys, thanks for all the replies. Pretty tough question, considering there are many rods for many applications. Fun to think about it, regardless.

I'd be happy to fish for just about any minnesota fish, maybe excluding sturgeon and flatheads, with a 6'6'' or 7' medium spinning rod.

My current favorite rod is apparently a "lady angler" rod from gander mountain. I just try to ignore the less-than-a-square-inch of pink writing on the otherwise normal-looking rod and tell myself that the fish don't know the difference.

We're in an age of technique specific rods. One could possibly try and blame the fishing industry for this, but it actuality I think it started with those that roll there own and the fisherman that liked them (I'm both). So like Deitz said, it would KILL me to have to do this, but for the sake of the questions I'd go with my Shikari SHX PMB704. Shikari is bye bye, bought by ATC. And now ATC is bye bye from what I hear. Loomis IMX MBR843 would be my next option since the Shikari isn't available.

That pocket fisherman that you can bring anywhere and adjust the action on the fly. You've seen it!!

Falcon Cara T7 for baitcasting purposes CC-5-1610MH-T7

Falcon Cara T7 for spinning purposes CS-5-166MH-T7

Both are great rods and I'm in a 2 year process of switching everything to Falcon from St. Croix. Almost completed.