• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Power Auger Suggestions

crappiekid24

I've got a 3hp 10" jiffy, I really like the machine, its a bit heavy, but it just plain works, EVERYTIME. I've had a Mag2000 and never had any problems with it, but I sold it to a friend and got the Jiffy. I have always wanted to try out the 4 strokers but I'm not real carefull with my equipment, and if they aren't layed the right way, or get bounced around a lot, you can see oil leaks and get oil into the cylinder (rare) With a good 75:1 or even 100:1 synthetic oil mix, the 2 strokes are really clean burning and are typically faster. I've heard great things about Nills, but have yet to see one on the ice so I can't say first hand.

Just get whatever tickles your fancy, they all run well if you take care of them.

Josh

I've had a lazer mag 2hp for 8 years or so now and still have the original blades and have not yet had to have it tuned up. I know someone who had the lazer 4 cycle last year and got rid of it for the 2 cycle (cold blooded I think was his problem). Anyone out there had similar experience??

When comparing the Strikemaster Mag 2000 to the Jiffy STX PRO, keep in mind when comparing these two units you are comparing Stikemasters low end unit to Jiffy’s top unit.

Both manufactures use a Tecumseh 2hp so there is no need to compare the actual engines themselves, they both will operate the same.

Do look closely at the throttles linkages, on off switches, etc.; you will see that Jiffy gets more stars for their set-up.

Warranty

Strikemaster Mag 2000

1 year on the unit

Jiffy

1 year on the engine

2 year on the transmission (gear box)

3 years on the blades

Gear Ratio

Strikemaster Mag 2000 24:1

Jiffy 15:1

Since both units utilize a chipper blade to cut the ice, a higher gear ration will give you more torque and higher revolutions of the drill assembly. The extra torque on a Jiffy unit will allow you to drill with a 10” drill.

Chipper Blades

Strikemaster Mag 2000

One chipper blade

Jiffy

Pilot Point

One Chipper blade

Two Stealth blades on the pilot point

Plus D’Icer Armor to prevent ice freezing to the cutting plate

Cost

Strikemaster Mag 2000

$300.00

Jiffy STX PRO

$450.00

Weight

The Strikemaster Mag 2000 will be slightly lighter than the Jiffy STX PRO because the Jiffy units use heavier gauge metal in the transmission case, flightings, handles; overall built for durability.

Strikemaster mag 2000 here have both 8" and 10" auger bits.

Starts 1st or 2nd pull every time. This is my 2nd Strikemaster and Love them. Its light enough to cut multiple holes in a day and not get tired, and they are in Big Lake, so service is local if you ever have a problem.

WW

Thanks for the replies! I am considering the Strikemaster because of their service. I do like that the Strikemaster is lighter weight but will 3 pounds make a difference?

It all depends on how much drilling and moving around you plan on doing. If your drilling 50 holes in a day those 3 pounds might make a big difference at the end of the day. I own a LazerMag w/ 10" auger and I love it. Service is great with Strikemaster. Good luck.

I have the lazer mag express and love it! I would think if your not reopening holes you would not need the chipper blade (I could be wrong ther). I have owned mine for 3 years now and not one issue with it. I move around a lot and love how smooth it is without the chipper blade.

the lazer mag is a real nice auger man...only down side is u can't reopen holes....otherwise its light, fast, and a strong dependable runner.

little more spendy then the mag2000 but cheaper then the jiffy so it would be in your price range.

just make sure whatever one you end up choosing that u break her in before hitting the ice.

Based on where you live you can receive the same service on your power auger no matter what brand. Tecumseh has several warranty centers that are also authorized Strikemaster/Jiffy service centers.

You will read more post on the service of Strikemaster because they are a Minnesota company. If you lived in Wiconsin you could personally go to Jiffy for service as well.

Looks like you live in Illinois which is closer to Jiffy.

I would go hands down with a NIls. They offer a commercial grade Tanaka engine and it cuts as fast or faster than anything else you could purchase. Its also very light for running and gunning.

I have had many 10 hole races with others augers and the Nils has not lost to date. She is a very fast smooth cutting auger. You need to put no down pressure on the auger while cutting, just hold on and let her fly.

If the shaver blades need a fresh edge for cutting, one can get them sharpened very easy within Minnesota.

I would not be too concerned with where the warranty may need to be done as I have heard of next to none that needed warranty.

I do believe that if you compare all, the Nils will rise to the top.

ANYONE EVER HEAR OF A 55 HP POWER AUGER YOU CAN RIDE? I THINK I SAW ONE ON TV AND SOME YOUNG KID CONVERTED HIS STRIKEMASTER INTO A RIDEABLE AUGER TYPE THING! IT WAS AMAZING. ALSO CAN YOU DRILL WELLS WITH REGULAR AUGERS? I'M NOT SURE HOW DEEP YOU CAN GO BUT IF IT WORKS THAT WOULD BE AWSOME!

Gear Ratio

Strikemaster Mag 2000 24:1

Jiffy 15:1

Since both units utilize a chipper blade to cut the ice, a higher gear ration will give you more torque and higher revolutions of the drill assembly. The extra torque on a Jiffy unit will allow you to drill with a 10” drill.

Wrong. Given the same power source, 24:1 will have more torque than 15:1.

i have already put into motion plans to purchase a mag 2000, but have heard it is better to replace the chipper blade with lazer blades. what exactly is the process for this? can it be done personally by a not-so-mechanically inclined person and will it improve the auger? p.s. i dont care about re-opening holes.

bgreen82,be careful putting a lazer bit on mag 2000 head,the mag 2000 transmision is made of a differnt metal than the lazer head.The mag 2000 will not stand up to the agressive cutting style of the lazer bit.Holes can be reopened by lazers but the bit must be at full rpm's before satting blade on ice