Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
harvey lee

223 shells for coyotes

15 posts in this topic

I rcieved a 223 this past winter and was wondering what type shell might be the best as far as the tip. Would the steel jacket shells leave a smaller hole?

Yes they will leave a small hole , but they don't put em down very well and they ricochet around the countryside a lot. If you are in any populated area at all , I would not advise their use. Only for target practice with a good backstop . Use the ballistic tips, and experiment to see which one groups best in your rifle .

Ballistic tips are a good idea, as are hollow points. The hole going in isn't the problem. The problem is avoiding the hole going out.

ballistic tips are a bad idea if you're looking to keep pelts. Speaking from experience. The entrance hole is like a pencil. The exit is like a basketball.

pickbigwagon is more of a ballistics guru. He could point you to the right .223 round.

I've got yotes with the 22 rimfire,The energy of the 223 any tip will work.The FMJ is fine as long as its not in the city.You arent downtown are you? grin

Harvey, I have not had a splash entry with vamx bullets, but others have. I have had a couple good sized exit holes. If you are looking to save pelts, Look at a hollow point or a soft point bullet. What twist rate is your 223? Velocity plays a big part in how the bullet disintegrates too.

I love Vmax, but others have had bad experiences with them. 55 gr. softpt's would be a better option than FMJ's in my opinion. Black hills makes some accurate bluebox reloads....

not much help I am sure, but the more negative things I read about Vmax and exit wounds, the more I start leaning towards shooting something else at coyotes. Of course I have 150 unloaded vmax in the basement and about 100 loaded vmax's..... Barnes is goming out with a 55 gr TSX soon, I will have to try those

so you could and should shoot the heavier bullets, say the 68 and 75 grainers....or my brain is fried from a 3 hour drive home with 3 sick kids and one sick wife. I know it is either slower twist or faster twist that stabilizes the heavier bullets better. Not sure who loads a heavier bullet, I have not read good things about match bullets on coyotes though......let me poke around a little tomorrow and let you know what I find out...

what have you been shooting out of it?

Oops, I lied, it is the other way around, slower twist lighter bullets, which is better, since that opens up a lot more opportunity for you...........

I dont think you can go wrong on a coyote with a 55 grn soft point. Quarter inch in and quarter sized out and a bang flop, dead dog. If you drag bone out the exit, it doesnt matter which bullet you use.

This will be the first year I use this for coyotes as I just got the gun.

I zero'd the gun with Black Hills ammo.

52 GR Match HP

She shots tight groups at 100 yards about 1.5 inches high.

Pop zip bang, sounds like you have a winner already1.5" high at 100 yards puts inside a coyote at 300

Reddog has the skinny on exit wounds. It doesn't matter what you shoot.., if you hit a large bone, (shoulder, leg-bone).., you are very likely to get a nasty, nasty exit-hole!!!

I have shot the plain old 55-grain soft-tips with great results, but I now shoot Black Hills 52-grain boattail hollow-point. Often, not even an exit.

But again, as reddog shared, you really can't go wrong with the good old 55-grain soft-point. The hotter you go, especially with the lighter bullets, the nastier things get if you hit bone. In fact, I used to shoot the 40-grainers at nearly 4000-fps, until I clipped the back of a shoulder-blade on a smaller-female 'yote, quartering towards me as she was trying to circle to get downwind (calling).., and without getting graphic.., let's just say "it wasn't pretty"!

How about a 243. Good and fast soft point head shots 87 grain should do the trick and it will buck the wind pretty good.

Olddeerhunter